Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2020, 12:06   #1

Boat: 1973 Grampian 30
Itching to move aboard, advice needed please!

Good day all!

I am freshly divorced and I’ve decided to follow my dreams for once.....I’m moving aboard a boat. After a brutal divorce I am somewhat cash strapped with bad credit and my first thought is to find someone who can Owner Finance the vessel. I’d put 10-20% down and pay her off in 12-18 months.

Is there a better way to finance the vessel?

I don’t want anything particularly fancy or large, 30 feet would be just about right at present, and I want an older vessel I can refurbish and set up just how I want.

A good solid older boat.

If any of salty dogs have any advice for me please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Michael Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 13:44   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Itching to move aboard, advice needed please!

Best of luck. I'm in the same boat. I was lucky enough to get to keep my boat. But still on the hard. Always something, time, money, weather. But its getting better.
Old 19-12-2020, 14:01   #3

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Henson View Post
Good day all!

I am freshly divorced and I’ve decided to follow my dreams for once.....I’m moving aboard a boat. After a brutal divorce I am somewhat cash strapped with bad credit and my first thought is to find someone who can Owner Finance the vessel. I’d put 10-20% down and pay her off in 12-18 months.

I don’t want anything particularly fancy or large, 30 feet would be just about right at present, and I want an older vessel I can refurbish and set up just how I want.

A good solid older boat.

If any of salty dogs have any advice for me please let me know. Thanks in advance!

You hail from St Pete. Although lots of boats there, they will be pricey. My advice other than looking at Craigslist for south Florida and the keys, is to draw yourself a 200 mile radius of marinas that you can visit for an older boat that is behind yard or marina payments. You might find a good boat in need of TLC. I assume you know what to look for issues that is a deal killer or a money pit. If you do not, then you may want to peruse here at a bunch of threads that deals with that.
Find which yards around you allows for DIY work, that is becoming harder to find.

For live aboard, do not assume ti can just stay anywhere as we continue to have more and more regulations in FL that limits where and how long you can anchor, self moor, or find marinas that allows for live aboard.

You are in the right place, there are thousands of sailboats at a decent price that only need elbow grease, some fiberglass work, or and engine work.

It is exciting to see that you are contemplating a new life style. I say go for it!
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 14:03   #4

On financing with bad credit, you will only find predatory financing - it will make the financial hole a lot bigger so I would stay away from it.
Old 19-12-2020, 14:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Itching to move aboard, advice needed please!

Quote:
Good day all!

A good solid older boat.

Depends on the type/size of boat your looking for.. there's 27ft gems going for 3 or 4 grand that you can move aboard straight away or there's others larger costing more.
Personally I never spend more than I can afford to lose and pay cash.. and cash strapped for me is a way of life.. there's a lot more to it than money..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 16:51   #6

Thanks for the advice! I’ve got a good handle on dock space and I have a pretty good DIY yard. Financing is the issue for me but I’ll keep sawing away until I get things worked out.

Merry Christmas!
Old 19-12-2020, 18:12   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Sorry to hear about the divorce... but stay healthy and follow your dreams! We're here for you! Welcome to the CF
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 18:31   #8

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Get the high interest loan, get a real livaboard, shower, hot water, full galley, big berth, headroom.
Consider the time, money and work you'll put into that 30 footer only to sell it because you need something bigger.
I also got divorced, 8 years later things are great, it takes some time though to really get over it.
Life's too short to waste on that old solid 30, you'll pay off a newer 40 in a few years, about the time you need to get to know that boat, then you take off!!
Just my opinion from experience.
Good luck.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 06:28   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I’ve got a good handle on dock space and I have a pretty good DIY yard. Financing is the issue for me but I’ll keep sawing away until I get things worked out.

Merry Christmas!

If you can muster about $10,000 then there are a lot of boats ready to move in in the 30 to 35 ft range and all close to you. Here are some examples:

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...250430591.html

This might fill the bill for $7,500 and get you started

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...244998413.html

Or if you can negotiate this person down, these boats make great live aboard on a budget:

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...249809770.html

A woodie for $12,000 - not my pick but for live aboard looks doable on a budget

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...232512542.html
Old 21-12-2020, 07:36   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

also if you finance you will be required to have hull insurance .. so add that to your budget and check in advance to make sure insurance and dockage are available before you commit to a boat. after that enjoy your new life
Old 21-12-2020, 09:37   #11

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Well we circumnavigated and would do it again in a heartbeat. Problem is we enjoyed ourselves in so many places so much that getting around took 22 years. Doing it again and taking 22 years would have me 105. Not practical although Gaia is up for it. ��. We do not see the point in doing it fast.

If you take the easy route,meaning mostly downwind, the urge to see new places will eventually have you more or less back where you started although not necessarily. We started from Picton in Canada and are now, still on board, in Guatemala.

We enjoyed it all including crossing oceans. There was never any boredom and never any terror. Crossing the Indian ocean vis the northern route is less challenging. We partially crossed the northerly route several times. We eventually crossed completely via the southern route and had a good time with other sailors at the usual stops. Crossing the South Atlantic was easy particularly once we were away from South Africa.

Perhaps the most important lesson learned was a finding on an old traditional Dutch sailing/fishing, vessel. Translated: The captain that has the time always has a good wind.

Our only regret? Not being able to do it again. Slowly.

Once is not enough

Jim sv Gaia
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 07:41   #12

Thank you!!!
Old 22-12-2020, 08:34   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

Just find something that you can buy for $2,000 - $10,000 and pay cash.

You have just been through a life change and may not want to live on a boat forever.

So, you may not want to get in deeper with a boat payment.

I bought mine "cash" for $2,000 in 2011.

I have over the years put in say another $8,000 because I wanted to not because I couldn't sail the boat as is.

I added a new outboard (5hp 4 stroke) after the diesel failed and painted the interior, decks, bottom etc and bought a new replacement mainsail and replaced the dodger, mainsail cover, autopilots

Plus I added solar which powers the boat

The boat though was loaded with anchors/rode, gps (2) depth, autopilot, dodger, bimini, jibs, etc.

These old boats are tougher than they look. Picture of boat with sail up is of another Bristol 27 that sailed 3/4 the world. Notice the Catalina mainsail and sculling oar.

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	229151   Click image for larger version

Name:	New tiller.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	229152  

Click image for larger version