Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 18:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
It is True...are all Boats really always for Sale?

It's a common joke saying that "all boats are always for sale at the right price".

So today my son and I are in our blue jump suits, complete with respirator, goggles and our ghost buster vacuum pack to suck up the fiberglass dust as we grind off the black adhesive that once held the teak onto the fiberglass sub-deck. Fun fun fun for sure.

We look up and see that the local water taxi tour guide is real close to our boat and someone aboard wants to talk to us. So we turn off the tools and vacuums and take off all the protective gear. At first I'm a little irritated because I have to stop working often enough to take a work call or answer a work email, but now I'm having to answer questions about the boat from what I suspect is a tourist.

Then it happens, the "I have been looking for one of these Hudson Force 50 for years, what will you sell her for?"

ah...well....she's not for sale this is our house, I say and expect a "have a good day" comment, but then I start to think that this guy is actually serious as he make a cash offer for $100K. I still haven't invited him aboard and he asked if he can come aboard and look around. At this point, I think he is either crazy or crazy so I politely tell him no, but we are working on the boat today and we can't have guests aboard with everything torn up.

He said he understands and hands me some paperwork with an offer letter and tells me to call him when I get her cleaned up and back together. He says he is serious and wants to buy our boat.

After he leaves on the water taxi, my son looks at me and says,
"Dad...who was that crazy guy we ain't selling our boat"
And then he starts putting on his respirator to get back to work.

Considering $100K in this area won't buy a spot in a single-wide trailer park, we ain't selling...well at least not yet. Now maybe if he would have said $150K I would have handed him the sander "she's yours".

So have any other folks out there had crazy offers to buy your boat?
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 19:25   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: It is True...are all Boats really always for Sale?

Have had large numbers of passers by saying "I love your boat" or the equivalent. Haven't had any offers yet. Nevertheless, I'm not interested in selling ... but maybe in ten years when I'm incapable of enjoying the boat.
Old 07-07-2016, 19:32   #3

Quote:
So have any other folks out there had crazy offers to buy your boat?
Yup....same guy asked every year for 3 years if I would be willing to sell.

After the third inquiry I asked how much he was willing to pay. I then told him how much I was willing to sell it for, thinking the guy would say no way .....instead he said DONE!

I would keep this guys contact info....just in case.
Old 07-07-2016, 20:00   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

No. I am waiting though

Soon time to move to a bigger boat.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 20:40   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No. I am waiting though

Soon time to move to a bigger boat.
Ahh, you have worn her out and want a younger model....
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 21:40   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

There's something to be said about having your boat/life paid off. You have an excellent liveaboard. I'm not sure but I think you have said you have kids in school still. Maybe when the times right, you can do it. You continue to put sweat equity into your vessel, so she'll never be a fixer and command full market value when you're ready. However, if you want another boat, plan well and stay away from those damn teak decks!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 21:48   #7

Boat: Freedom 38

Well, no, and actually I've been sitting in my cabin listening to people outside talk about my free-standing mast who say "I'd never sail something like that." Another guy said directly to me, "aren't you scared to sail a boat like that?" Which is all good, because I never plan to sell her Of course, it's best to never say never. You never know, right?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 22:10   #8

Is my boat for sale, LOL,want to buy my new Tshirt? ?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 23:32   #9

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Mine is not for sale at ANY price.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:26   #10

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

My brain says hell yes, now..... But and there is always a but, my emotional side side says no way. After all she is part of me, with copious quantities of blood and sweat deposited over time all over her.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:25   #11

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Clearly, in this situation, you have a very serious buyer who is interested in pursuing negotiations - I hope you're flattered, Rich. Congratulations.

However, I'm reminded of a young couple I heard about that would walk docks of marinas and when they'd spot someone aboard, they'd greet them by saying, 'We've been looking for a boat like this!' Often, the boat owner would invite them aboard, show them around and maybe offer them cocktails. It proved for them a cheap way to get their evening drinks.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:05   #12

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

My prior boat when I was working on it on the hard had a lot of yard crawlers.

They drive up and down the rows ( many of us have done the same whilst looking or an afternoons entertainment ) a few stop and ask questions, some ask if it is for sale. I had one stop and make a low ball offer right after I had just purchased. I laughed and gave him a much higher number.He came back by the following Spring as I was preping for that years launch, offered low again. I upped my price from the prior year by a good bit. Stating it's in better shape than before. He came by this year and offered again ( same price ) He saw me taking bins off the boat. I told it was sold and for how much. He shrugged and moved on.

That said, yes, as much as I love my one of kind classic plastic, with enough cash, she is for sale but well to my vantage.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:11   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you can get a good as in a really good price, your nuts not to sell. I have no idea what one is worth though.
How many kids do you have? When is the Son leaving? Do you need or even want this particular boat after they are gone?
We had a 3500 sq ft house on 100 acres and about a 10 acre yard, pool etc when we had three kids and two Grandkids living with us, and enjoyed the house etc.
That house, land, pool etc would be a nightmare for just a couple, a real ball and chain, it would eat up all out money, time etc.
It had it's purpose, and often I miss it, but thank God it's gone.

When it's just you and the wife, that Big Ole boat may become a sort of ball and chain, do you really have need for a 50' boat? That deck is not the end of it, as you know.

To answer your question, yes my boat is for sale if the price is right, she is not being marketed, but if someone offered me enough money that I could buy a much better boat? I'd sell
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:15   #14

We've had some people hint around but at the time we weren't trying to sell and they never made a formal offer.

Now the old F250 with the 7.3 diesel, got offers at least every 2-3 months even though toward the end the body was all rusted out. Sold her for more than we paid for her.

But yes, for the right price just about anything we own if for sale. It's just stuff. If they give you enough money, you can replace it with equal or better, cover the hassle of getting new and walk away with some cash.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:28   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
But yes, for the right price just about anything we own if for sale. It's just stuff. If they give you enough money, you can replace it with equal or better, cover the hassle of getting new and walk away with some cash.
My sentiments exactly. I don't get emotionally attached to "stuff".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, sale