Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 07:27   #1

Boat: Catalina 250
Is this the right forum for a canadian sailboat owner

Is this the right forum for a eastern canadian sailboat owner?

As Canada, Quebec has a rough and cold climate, will I find a sufficient community that will be able to answers questions on wintering of the boat out off the lake, taking care of the equipment in winter, installing mooring and mooring buoy that will survive winter and three feet of ice, finding the anchor point of the mooring in spring. And is there enough quebecers or montrealers to share with about what is going on in the Montreal area?
francois.lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:58   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Is this the right forum for a canadian sailboat owner

IMO this is the right forum for any sailboat owner.

There are a few québécois who pop up from time to time, and quite a few Great Lakes sailors. You should find people with common interests.

And, welcome!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:10   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ask, and yeah shall receive — says the former Great Lakes sailor now lingering in Newfoundland.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:41   #4

Boat: Catalina 250

Thanks for your greetings! I am posting right away on more specific topics, that by there issues will sure present some international preoccupations. After all, a sailboat needs wind and water, an a sailboat is also a boat, and all boats float on the water.

Cheers!
francois.lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 19:49   #5

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26

This appears to be a global forum so it doesn't seem to matter where you're located. Plenty of knowledge available here for sure. And yes, I must admit that les hivers dans la belle province sont presque que tros difficile apres le 4é mos.
Bienvenue et salut amigo.
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Francois.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:01   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

You even have a lot of west coast Canadians on here. My advice to wintering a boat in Canada is to move it to Vancouver Island. I live aboard year round.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:02   #8

Nous sommes plusieurs sur ce site.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:08   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
You even have a lot of west coast Canadians on here. My advice to wintering a boat in Canada is to move it to Vancouver Island. I live aboard year round.
Ahhh, I bought our last trimaran in Nanaimo. I'd never visited B.C. before; what a treat! Might have been the most beautiful test sail I'll ever go on! :-)
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:11   #10

Welcome.
I am a CS boat owner on the West Coast.
This is a very friendly and super helpful forum. It is not CS specific but has many useful and helpful CS contributors. It's great for all things sailing related.

I am also a member of the CS West Forum: If you need anything CS, and I mean Anything, and can't find it here they have unrivalled collective knowledge, are very active and have years of archived responses and fixes.

There is I think a CS East Forum.
You are lucky, you are a lot nearer to the superb resource that is Holland Marine

Holland Marine Products

They have everything CS you need; even a new bowsprit! The owner and his daughter are very, very helpful. They took over and outsourced the manufacturing of all new/copy CS parts when CS went under.

You can have the best of three worlds of help and advice. Like me.
Captain Caliamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:37   #11

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Yes - lots of Canucks on this forum. Us wet coasters don't have to put up with the extreme winter conditions that you do, but otherwise lots of commentary available. Welcome to the forum.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:53   #12

Welcome to the Cruisers community.

We have ice form on our lakes in Montana due to Canada exporting cold air.

As to mooring buoys in icy water, of keen issue is whether the ice sheet will flow and destroy the floating buoy that is trapped in the ice or and / or break the retention chain or drag the buoy anchor.

We have watched large sheets of ice break away and begin floating across the lakes and when their massive weight impacts a dock or a even a rock breakwater sheltering a marina, the huge berg just shoves them aside crumpling the structures.

There are special winter buoys that are thin and long and look like sticks which thin profile tends to allow the stick to be pulled through the layer of ice when the ice sheet shifts about thereby offering less pulling force on the buoy and the retention chain. An example of winter sticks can be found at the link below.

https://www.defender.com/category.js...ath=-1|2285701

An alternative is to use GPS or to triangulate from bearing on shore to record the location of the mooring anchor such that one can remove the buoy before winter sets in and then dive down to recover the chain and attach the buoy when boating season starts anew, say in mid May, or June. The four seasons in Montana likely being much like Canada's, being June, July, August and Winter.

I know of one person that moors their boat on the lake and their practice is to remove the surface floating mooring buoy before winter but attach a different and smaller float further down the chain so as to cause the chain to be only partially raised from the lake bed and then when they desire to recover the chain at the beginning of the boating season he dives down and can easily locate the chain because there is float suspended say five or ten feet from the bottom, yet the float and chain are kept deep enough to be never caught up in to the surface ice even though the lake level is lowered by about ten feet in the winter months to provide for flood control capacity and to cause the ice to be kept away from the shorelines to mitigate erosion and to mitigate against damage to docks and breakwaters. Whereas if his mooring retention chain is just dropped to the lake bed after removing his mooring buoy it can become very hard to spot when diving down to retrieve it and he has to dive all the way to the bottom to gain a hold of the chain. But with a float raising a part of the chain he doesn't need to snorkel so deep. The water can be very cold early in the season, especially at depth so he doesn't like to spend much time retrieving the retention chain.
I can attest that time spent in the water early in the season is no fun, e.g, 40 degree water truly hurts and can be very dangerous even for a few moments. I find it literally takes your breath away and it gives me intense pain in my skull if I fully submerge . My lips get chilled quickly and it becomes hard to form an effective seal around the mouth piece of either a snorkel or a diving respirator. It becomes frozen smile time, but you are not really in a smiling mood. One becomes hypothermic in a hurry.

Another approach is to tie a rode line to the mooring chain when removing the buoy for the winter season and to run the line towards the shallow water near shore or even up onto shore and then use that line to retrieve the chain that is in deep water at the beginning of boating season. One boater attaches the towards shore end of the rode to a small anchor and then just walks out to where he placed the anchor and rode in the early season when the lake is drawn down to provide for flood control containment before the Spring freschet begins to flow and the lake refills to its summer depths. He locates the rode and attaches a float and remove the anchor and when its time to place the mooring buoy he just gathers the float from the surface with the rope rode attached and retrieves the retention chain and then attaches the mooring buoy for the boating season. That way he never has to get into the water until the lake warms considerably later in the summer.

Our water temperature just keeps dropping what with the minus degree nights, so this morning it is presently down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit, and is iced over in most of the major bays but the lake has not fully frozen over this year as the strong northern breezes [read Canadian air] have made waves and swells to keep the ice from forming across the 26 miles of the main body of the lake.

Enjoy your sailing.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:24   #13

Boat: S2 9.2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois.lavoie View Post
Is this the right forum for a eastern canadian sailboat owner? ....... is there enough quebecers or montrealers to share with about what is going on in the Montreal area?
Ben bien sur que oui!!
Bienvenue, welcome.
I'm from Montreal and yes it's cold!!!
Old 07-03-2019, 12:31   #14

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Bienvenu François, nous habitons Mont Tremblant en hiver et naviguons en mer Égée en été. Vous nous lirez occasionnellement. Bonne suite!
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 14:02   #15

Boat: Mirage,schmit,27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois.lavoie View Post
Thanks for your greetings! I am posting right away on more specific topics, that by there issues will sure present some international preoccupations. After all, a sailboat needs wind and water, an a sailboat is also a boat, and all boats float on the water.

Cheers!
Il y a VoileAbordable au Québec.(En Anglais aussi )
copaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, rum, sail, sailboat