Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 17:00   #121

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
...Boy people, alone together have different standards of behavior for themselves than they use with women...
this is really mainly a men's forum, with a small, slowly growing, number of women participants...
I do think we should report posts we find offensive...
Oh Annie...
Old 13-02-2016, 17:01   #122

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

Hey, I just realized that I asked a question that was 'off topic', so a private reply is fine with me...haven't time to start a new thread as there's repair needing to be done to PILAR's bowsprit this morning...am out of here but look forward to hearing from you so will check back.
Old 13-02-2016, 17:04   #123

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

meh, the other sailing forum I spend time on is sailing anarchy so by comparison CF is very well mannered.
Old 13-02-2016, 17:13   #124

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Boy I must be missing out. Nobody told me I had cronies. Hope that's not like cooties.

Somebody has been holding out. Hey guys.... Where's my Cronies????
Exactly sailor girl. ..... that sort of statement" mods have cronies" is the sort of thing that fuels this downward spiral! Why would the poster say that and for what reason other than to provoke, no need for it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-02-2016, 17:23   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It's really only a handful of "contributers" that I believe lower the standard. Some of these people are actually quite knowledgeable, its just their ego's get in the way. It's actually a shame as it seriously takes away from the forum.
For what's it's worth it's not just here, I recently looked at Sailnet thinking it may be different? Well just go check the "steel vs grp thread out, Brent Swain and Bob Perry ( both boat designers) amongst others going at it, seriously it's a joke, hard to believe these guys are grown men, I actually found myself reading it for entertainment (I obviously need to get a life).Our own multihull issue or multihull sailors that keep having an issue isn't that much better, and yes one of them resorted to name calling the other day. .lol.
I was thinking about this the other day, grown men sitting in tropical anchorages, living the dream while name calling on the Internet at people they don't even know on the other side of the world? Talk about missing the point!
Cheers Dale.

That's a really good point actually Dale!

I've been doing a bit of research on so called 'woowoo' sites for a few years, after something I read in the "Annals of Ancient Rome" (Ancient Rome took 'woowoo' extremely seriously, and even had a special annual ceremony for it, where people from all over the Empire with knowledge of strange events in their area, had to take reports of those events to Rome, and they were all analysed under the direct supervision of the Pontiff (2nd in Command in the Empire at the time, I think) and a large team of analysts - to go to such trouble and expense, they had to be getting something valuable out of it - then after they had deliberated on that years returns, they held a special ceremony to 're-balance things' called a Strewing of Couches - sounds a bit Monty Python doesn't it?).

Anyway, it has been noticed on a couple of these sites, that when things are 'far from right with the World' and 'something unpleasant' is in the near future, everybody is at each others throats, tempers flare, people throw hissy fits and leave the forum, that sort of thing.

Once it was pointed out, I could see what they were on about, and there's definitely an effect at work. Not just on 'woowoo' sites either.

Perhaps those Ancient Romans, were onto something after all?
Old 13-02-2016, 17:24   #126

Boat: Catalina 470

In regards to being provoked......I was a night club doorman for several years a long time ago. If I had of responded with aggression or even responded everytime I was provoked I would not of lasted very long, in fact I would of ended up getting myself hurt. Often feeling provoked and needing to be aggressive is just your own stuff. Its a Internet forum. ..lol.

Old 13-02-2016, 17:26   #127

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

MarkJ: I know moderating a forum is difficult and time consuming, and I know the mods have been trying hard to make the place better. But maybe it needs a few specialty mods who are Troll Busters, aggression monitors, and Irrelevance Deleters.

Nooooooooooh. If irrelevant posts are deleted, I'll have NOTHING to say. Gimme a break! My usual practice is to not comment on a technical/sailorly issue if I don't know what I'm talking about. But after a couple of pages or so ... anything goes. I'm inclined to illustrate this with an anecdote but I guess those are out.

I miss a couple of gals who've moved on or out like Anjou, Mrs B, Sarafina, and that superwoman way up north who was a pilot, and a vet, had a big boat and knew more about everything than I did. Gorgeous too! (I'd like to be living that particular dream.)
Old 13-02-2016, 17:33   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Stopped drinking Stella 20 odd years back when they started serving it in plastic glasses.. it had already got a bad name as the other 50% of a 'Snakebite'.. the "I wanna get outa my face and kill" cocktail of certain bars..

There's an additive in Stella in Britain, that isn't in the Belgian version. It's bad enough that I would not tolerate having a Stella pump in any pub I worked in (and I worked in a fair few).

It isn't nicknamed 'wife beater' for no reason.

But it is equally deserving of another nickname too.

'Husband beater'.

Before realising how truly bad that stuff was, I was doing things like switching orders for Stella, for the last couple of pints before closing, for a wife beating husband (she was just as bad when she was drinking it) to Heineken. The wife beating somehow stopped.

I am not one generally in favour of banning things (it usually has the opposite effect to that desired), but whatever is in that British version of the stuff, needs to be banned.

I was explaining all this to a lady customer (a teacher) one night, and I told her "I wish all the Stella drinkers were like you, and had no problems with it".

Next time her and her hubby came in, she's drinking the same as him (Murphys). Seems what I had said had sunk in, and she realised that everything wasn't her hubby's fault after all, it was the d'mned Stella!

I hate to think what that poor guy suffered, every time they went home prior.
Old 13-02-2016, 17:34   #129

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

People will be people, it doesn't matter if you are discussing something in real life or virtually online, we are all social animals and have varying needs to interact and communicate awith others. Cruisers often live isolated lies and this forum is an ideal way to satisfy that need. Some may only be seeking technical help and that is all. Some of us use it as an important medium for more social interaction with like minded others.I personally think I have a foot in both camps.

The big difference with the new media is that we do not have the ability to communicate our full meaning through tone of voice and facial expressions. This means that we sometimes express our selves poorly in short text communications which people interpret in a way we never intended. I have a couple of times been accused of "trolling" when I was genuinely interested in a topic and was just trying to introduce a new or interesting perspective to a topic. The use of (much lampooned) emojis as a substitute has been an interesting development out of the new media. Some even believe that emojis are evolving into a completely new and independent language.

Just as in real life there will be people who are anti-social or act inapproptiately, this may be deliberate or due to some social inadequacy. That is why we have this need for moderators to oversee the tone and content of the forum. While I might think their decisions are not always correct I still give them my unreserved support in a difficult environment with diverse players.

Overall, I am quite happy with the balance of discussion vs technical help on Cruisers Forum and congratulate the moderators for the sometimes thankless task they perform.
Old 13-02-2016, 17:36   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
definitely bad, and keeps people away but as I am recent member, do not know it any other way. Cat-mono seem to be pretty hot topic for certain mono people, maybe because they feel insecure or simply marketing campaign. As CF does provide sometimes useful info, read only mode is alternative, so you do not login.
You were right! It did not take long for one to take another bite.
Old 13-02-2016, 17:47   #131

Mods should have a great tool for instantly weeding out the very worst of the trolls, pretty much instantly. An IP checker.

I ran a forum for a while, and when I flushed all the sock puppets using the same iP addresses, the DoS attacks started, along with massive spam attacks (these are not nice people).

Finally got around that by making it private invite only. Then all the Political Commissars couldn't get in and interrupt all the discussions about Life, the Universe, and Everything (like a pub, but provide your own drinks).

Hard to imagine, I know, but even an Amateur Astronomy forum I used to frequent, is constantly losing really good people, because of the damage these wastes of perfectly good oxygen do.
Old 13-02-2016, 17:51   #132

Quote:
Lots of really good stuff . . .

"a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle?"

More really good stuff . . . . .

Ann

Well there's another old saw too:

"A Man without a Woman, is so happy, that all the women try to get him married off, because he's setting such a bad example to all the other men".

{it's true too, I can confirm it personally}
Old 13-02-2016, 18:11   #133

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
Well there's another old saw too:

"A Man without a Woman, is so happy, that all the women try to get him married off, because he's setting such a bad example to all the other men".

{it's true too, I can confirm it personally}
Quite so, Ribbit, it's sort of like a spectrum of possibilities with one at #1 and a lot of variation (or grey areas) before you get to the other at #10.

Ann
Old 13-02-2016, 18:20   #134

Quote:
Quite so, Ribbit, it's sort of like a spectrum of possibilities with one at #1 and a lot of variation (or grey areas) before you get to the other at #10.

Ann
Always turn it up to #11 on the scale to #10 Ann, always #11.

Anyway I'm thinking of getting my hands on one of these new luxury single berth cruisers, but I'm not sure if they have great Bluewater potential, without a few modifications first. I'm especially wary of what appears to be the weak ground tackle provision, along with an early boom failure with the mast. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New luxury 1 berth yacht.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	118895  
Old 13-02-2016, 18:56   #135

Quote:
<<<SNIP>>>

...so far, I have only learned of three types of internet stalking:

1. the scariest one is where they locate you, and hack your computer;

2. another one one poster just showed up at another's home, who had tried to protect their exact location;

3. and the mildest form where someone selects you and stalks your posts, trying to make you look bad.
There might be a fourth or at least a 3a!

... where someone selects you and stalks your posts, and then sends you pms saying I know where you live."

Truly frightening to me and I've been doing boating forums for many, many years and this was the first.

Happened last month right on here, and the mods were great to get rid of this creep.

Thanks again, Ed.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing