Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 09:01   #61

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Happy to raise a Spitfire, Pride, Sam's or a Thruxtons Old Peculiar with her any day..

I'll take a Belgian if they have one at the bar.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:04   #62

Boat: Lagoon 400

I find the CF highly valuable as it is.
From my experience of forums participation, the best way to treat forum trolls is just ignoring their posts.
They need the answers for their posts for food.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:07   #63

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
...For me this is a virtual bar.. and my mates hang out here.. and everyone else is welcome but... its a sailors bar.. not a WASP's meeting place for those of a certain class.. or wealth...
Good analogy!

CF is not losing its way, but gaining more members who are intolerant of others.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:09   #64

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

True some combative threads draw me like a moth to a flame... but I have only been here for going on 2 years and it seems the folks here are pretty much the same cross-section you'll find in most harbors.
Oh, I'll have a spot of Sheep Dip please?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-02-2016, 09:09   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I'll take a Belgian if they have one at the bar.
Grolsch okay..??
or would you prefer Oranjeboom...
Its the DutchBelgian.. as opposed to French beer..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 13-02-2016, 09:10   #66

Boat: 1975 Cal 2-29

As a newbie, my opinion is shaded by the fact that I haven't been on here for years. That said, I have had some good advice which was appreciated - but some of the responses, made only to be snide and "funny"made me shy away from this group.

As a female sailboat owner, the last thing I want to read are chauvinistic comments from men who have no idea who I am or what I'm about. You don't know anything about me and it's not open season! Rather than waste my time fighting back, I moved on. I have found another group which is only for women and have received excellent guidance, warmth and encouragement from others who love the sport of sailing. There are a lot of women on this forum - and we deserve to be treated with some respect rather than disdain.

Again, only my opinion and I'm guessing it'll be about 5 minutes before the trolls come out to play...
Old 13-02-2016, 09:11   #67

Boat: Macgregor, 26X, 26'

I am a total newbee, a wannabe, trying to decide if I really want to be. What I see and why I just read and not ask questions and do not read nearly as thoroughly as I did earlier. First the reply that the question should not be asked because it has been answered before and we should know or use the specialized search feature and read all previous threads. If I wanted to read and search I would read and search. If I want advice from an experienced friend or friendly forum I'll just ask. If you don't want to reply or read repetitive post couldn't you just move on quietly.

2nd. You are stupid for not knowing the answer. Saw a guy ask if you could connect 2 or more mono hulls to make a trimaran to live on if not sail. Guy literally told him he was stupid for not knowing that it would not work. I had similar thoughts occasionally and was really glad I did not ask. Made me decide this was not a good place to ask questions.

3rd Somebody tells you what they want to accomplish and asks for specific info like interesting visiting points and instead gets a whole thread on why the idea can not work. The OP even commented that he was not to the point of researching viability just wanted to know if there were places worth visiting. Instead he got a thread on unlicensed or unwanted ventures in Thailand. This seems to occur a lot.

Conclusion. I am neither smart enough or experienced enough to have a solution but there is an old Kindergarten rule that I think would be useful. If you can not say something nice (AKA kind and helpful) then say nothing at all. I doubt my opinion has any value but it is the honest impression of a new to the forum outsider. By the way I have read numerous motorcycle forums and have not seen these issues.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:19   #68

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy4Jesus View Post
I am a total newbee, a wannabe, trying to decide if I really want to be. What I see and why I just read and not ask questions and do not read nearly as thoroughly as I did earlier. First the reply that the question should not be asked because it has been answered before and we should know or use the specialized search feature and read all previous threads. If I wanted to read and search I would read and search. If I want advice from an experienced friend or friendly forum I'll just ask. If you don't want to reply or read repetitive post couldn't you just move on quietly.

2nd. You are stupid for not knowing the answer. Saw a guy ask if you could connect 2 or more mono hulls to make a trimaran to live on if not sail. Guy literally told him he was stupid for not knowing that it would not work. I had similar thoughts occasionally and was really glad I did not ask. Made me decide this was not a good place to ask questions.

3rd Somebody tells you what they want to accomplish and asks for specific info like interesting visiting points and instead gets a whole thread on why the idea can not work. The OP even commented that he was not to the point of researching viability just wanted to know if there were places worth visiting. Instead he got a thread on unlicensed or unwanted ventures in Thailand. This seems to occur a lot.

Conclusion. I am neither smart enough or experienced enough to have a solution but there is an old Kindergarten rule that I think would be useful. If you can not say something nice (AKA kind and helpful) then say nothing at all. I doubt my opinion has any value but it is the honest impression of a new to the forum outsider. By the way I have read numerous motorcycle forums and have not seen these issues.
Your opinion definitely has value!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-02-2016, 09:21   #69

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I think the increase in trolling and combative responses are due to the fact that it is winter in the northern hemisphere. The posters seem happier after they have been out sailing, but no they are grumpy old men who are stuck inside.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:31   #70

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I don't get intimidated. I've lived too long for that. I don't get intimidated face to face with people either, as a rule. And certainly there are ******** everywhere.

And I also don't need anyone else's approval for what kind of boat I sail either. It's not about that. I just find it annoying to have to weed through all that "crap" to get to the good stuff, the stuff where people are trying to be genuinely helpful, or supportive, or even just (gasp) social. I find social media behavior an interesting phenomenon because never, in 35 years of boating, has anyone EVER made any kind of disparaging remark about us, or our boat, or our gear, or our plan, or anything else related to boating, to our faces. As a matter of fact we have found quite the opposite to be true, that most people regardless of what kind of boat they have, are always happy to come aboard and will offer nice comments, and are certainly always ready to go sailing when asked. And even if it's just to be nice, well, in real face to face life that's what people do. But we apparently feel freer to let our worst self emerge when safely behind a keyboard and monitor instead of standing in front of someone on the dock. I'm not talking about joking. My friends and I rag on each other unmercifully face to face, and that's fun. But what I see on the forums is a different kind of behavior.

I will admit, with a slight amount of guilt, that just every once in awhile some of the contentious threads can be somewhat entertaining, especially when they get down to the likeminded grumps that are just down in the mud together and the innocent bystanders have all cleared away so no one is getting undeservedly bashed.

I too find it worthwhile to hang in here despite the minor annoyances. The vast majority of people here are wonderful people who genuinely want to share knowledge and support each other. And the vast wealth of combined knowledge and experience among the members is priceless. We have met several of them in real life, and that has been a great experience. I hope to meet more of them in the future. There are others who I am curious to know how they would act in real life as compared to how they act online.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:37   #71

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Man, if I listened to the naysayers when I first posted in 2014 I never would have made it off the dock. Apparently I did everything wrong and broke all the "rules" of cruising. And guess what, we did just fine. There is some GREAT info in the forumn, but yes, you have to weed through the garbage to read and hear from people actually doing it... I get so annoyed by people repeating anecdotes, it's nauseating. But all in all, when I have an electrical, diesel, or systems issue, I look through the archives and can usually find someone who's already dealt with it and has a solution.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 13-02-2016, 09:42   #72

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"And the Be Nice rule doesn't apply to slagging off people boats. It should. No one who has invested in their pride and joy likes it when people insult their boat." MarkJ

As someone who is an advocate of free and open speech, this is the one thing that should not be allowed on this Forum since it is a personal attack that is intended to silence a poster whose views differ from theirs, theoretically, invalidating their experience because of the make/size of their boat. It also has no relationship to the experience, skills and quality of the sailor but merely an expression of economic ability--nothing else. As a rule of thumb, the best sailors I have known in my life sailed old production boats and were small boat sailors; some of the worst sailors were those with seaside barges or owned CruisingWorld dream boats that spent their entire lives at the dock endlessly fixing the myriad breakdowns that were "essential" to cruising and pontificating to anyone who would listen to their opinions on cruising. If your argument is strong, it has nothing to do with the boat you sail. This attitude exemplifies its pathetic insinuation. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:44   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
I get so annoyed by people repeating anecdotes, it's nauseating.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Noted...
Do Not swing the lantern so much...
OUCH...!!!

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 13-02-2016, 09:46   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
I will admit, with a slight amount of guilt, that just every once in awhile some of the contentious threads can be somewhat entertaining, especially when they get down to the likeminded grumps that are just down in the mud together and the innocent bystanders have all cleared away so no one is getting undeservedly bashed.
Two reasons to be here...to learn and to be entertained.

Except for boatie, who is here to entertain.

So make that three reasons to be here.

Except for Gord, who is here to say hello to everyone who enters for the first time.

So make that four reasons to be here.

Except for Mainesail, who seems to be here to teach.

So make that five reasons to be here...

Except for....

I'm here for the entertainment. And to learn from others' experience, so I don't end up being the entertainment. Too many cell phone cameras out there these days...
Old 13-02-2016, 09:47   #75

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Two words, keep scrolling.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing