Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 23:46   #1

Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Recently there seems to be more arguments than information in the posts. There was a time not that long ago when the hands on advice came from Cruisers passing on their experience, lately the laudest voice seems to be from keyboard worriers who parotphraze someone else written theory from the 70s or an out and out troll looking for a stupid argument. It's not helpful, especially for the newbee or even the experienced looking for help or conformation. What's the Answer?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 13-02-2016, 00:27   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

definitely bad, and keeps people away but as I am recent member, do not know it any other way. Cat-mono seem to be pretty hot topic for certain mono people, maybe because they feel insecure or simply marketing campaign. As CF does provide sometimes useful info, read only mode is alternative, so you do not login.
Old 13-02-2016, 00:36   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Ah but some of the trolls have class !!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 13-02-2016, 00:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Ah but some of the trolls have class !!
But no taste
Old 13-02-2016, 00:46   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
But no taste
Touche.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 13-02-2016, 00:51   #6

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

There will be always haters. Unfortunately.

Still the amount of useful advice and information is spectacular.
Way outruns the trolls which can and should be ignored.

Cruisers Forum? I'm lovin' it!

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 13-02-2016, 01:02   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Simon, we try hard to keep CF friendly and in particular ensure everyone complies with our "be nice" rule. If you feel that something is unacceptable please feel free to report it using the "report button" under everyone's profile on the left hand side of each post. It will never be perfect, but we can at least try.

For the very small minority that really want to cause offence on line, well there are other sailing forums that may suit their needs better.

Peter
Old 13-02-2016, 01:45   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We're not allowed to discuss moderation on CF, which may be a shame because some of us would like sometimes to have input. On the other hand, the mods are volunteers, who share thoughts and who are bloody d--n well doing the best they can. ....It's got to be a lot like trying to herd cats.

An internet forum is an incomplete service. People mainly do the best they can. Some people think CF needs more moderation, others, less. Therefore, they must have it about right. Just pay no attention to the contributors' posts whom you don't like. You don't even need the ignore button. You just consider the source, and the ignorable ones quickly make themselves apparent.

Basically, the mods do the very best they can; and you just might get volunteered to take a mod place if you kvetch.

'Nuff said.

Ann
Old 13-02-2016, 01:46   #9

The vast majority here are really good. But this site does suffer the same problems that just about every other site suffers from today.

Activist 'Thought Police' (whether self appointed or not) types, who will dumb down as much as they can, and do their utmost to close down any discussion that doesn't fit their approved parameters.

Unfortunately you can't just ignore them, because left to their own devices, they destroy whatever they touch. I've seen far too many good places go down the tubes over the years, because of them (and God help you if any of them ever get to be on the Mods team, they will try and pad it out with colleagues). Usually the people paying the bills end up saying enough is enough, and shut it down.

These people have a long track record of making sock puppet accounts, then creating topics for discussion to promote their views, then log in their sock puppet accounts to post 'supportive comments'. A classic recent example was one posting a topic on gender equality on sailboats, or some equally ridiculous drivel. Oh what a giveaway.

To show how bad it is, Facebook has suffered a plague of these sock puppet drivers, for a very long time. There are lots of people there with around 50 sock puppet accounts, building up likes and other such nonsense, with more than a few having rather unpleasant ulterior motives, while they have long and involved conversations with themselves.

The biggest problem CF has, is the poor security, no https, and the lack of certificates. As a result the advertising hosts and some advertisers arriving via them, are taking outrageous liberties with visitors to the site, and seriously abusing the privilege that CF is extending to them to have a place here.

I have a rule now that I apply to every site I start visiting. If I put 15 avatars (they might be the same person driving a sock puppet) on my ignore list within a month. I leave the site and don't go back (some places I have hit 15 within an hour).

Wherever you go, the vast majority of people are better than fine. But there's always a few seriously disturbed B's that try and mess it up for everybody. For much of my life I have been a part time barman (sometimes a full time barman), probably my favourite job overall (your entertainment comes through the doo to you), but you have to like people (it's a nightmare job if you don't). It isn't that often that you have to do it, but sometimes you just have to throw out the trash, and bar them for life from ever coming back.

Your regulars are far too important to even consider tolerating unacceptable nonsense.
Old 13-02-2016, 02:47   #10

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I've noticed a few changes, I can't quite put my finger on what exactly.

But there seems to be less real quality collaborative discussion that bounces off each other and generates new ideas and ways of doing stuff for the more experienced cruisers.

Also seems like a lot more checkbook sailors these days. Probably not just in the forum but also out in the real world.

Or maybe I've just been here too long?
Old 13-02-2016, 02:48   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
We're not allowed to discuss moderation on CF, which may be a shame because some of us would like sometimes to have input ...
I’m certain the Mods would be pleased to hear your input. Just drop any one of them a private message, detailing your ideas, and (perhaps) requesting a reply.

Old 13-02-2016, 03:16   #12

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

As a recent newbie to both this and other forums, and as a woman and experienced cruiser,I understand why many women have tuned out. Even newbies are told off for following a dream. Whilst I appreciate a lot of information here, there can be a lot of negativity from perceived male armchair sailors. I was once told off by mods, quite rightly, because the I could not tolerate ignorant comments. With women's groups approaching thousands, it may be time to review both the membership and diversity of this group. We are all supposed to be cruisers supporting each other.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-02-2016, 03:44   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

It's really only a handful of "contributers" that I believe lower the standard. Some of these people are actually quite knowledgeable, its just their ego's get in the way. It's actually a shame as it seriously takes away from the forum.
For what's it's worth it's not just here, I recently looked at Sailnet thinking it may be different? Well just go check the "steel vs grp thread out, Brent Swain and Bob Perry ( both boat designers) amongst others going at it, seriously it's a joke, hard to believe these guys are grown men, I actually found myself reading it for entertainment (I obviously need to get a life).Our own multihull issue or multihull sailors that keep having an issue isn't that much better, and yes one of them resorted to name calling the other day. .lol.
I was thinking about this the other day, grown men sitting in tropical anchorages, living the dream while name calling on the Internet at people they don't even know on the other side of the world? Talk about missing the point!
Cheers Dale.

Old 13-02-2016, 04:17   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I was thinking about this the other day, grown men sitting in tropical anchorages, living the dream while name calling on the Internet at people they don't even know on the other side of the world?
This is the key point for many.

What is the dream?

Is it being bored sitting in a tropical anchorage on a boat smaller than most small motel rooms with nothing to do but piddle around with the boat?

Is it possible to retire after working 40-50 years in a mentally stressful or physically stressful environment with lots of stimuli to deal with then suddenly turn it off?

Some guys can spend all day hooking up a switch then discussing this hookup for hours and how they did each step. Then if someone disagrees with one small point........IT"S ON!!

Some can watch anchor setting videos for hours and be totally content

These are the lucky ones.

Others need something more....

Some want a permanent vacation; others a permanent adventure......
__________________________________________________ ____________

As far as just getting information from cruisers on cruising, you would miss lots of good info from sailboat racers as well as technical information on electrical, structural etc from onshore experts.

For example, I learn tons while reading the arguments on the inverter thread and I was an electronics tech. (cheap inverters offshore misused could lead to disaster)

Also, that thread showed the lack of understanding by many but I'm sure each learned things throughout the discussions/arguments

Don't misunderstand, we learn lots from the cruisers, but we learn from the petty arguments as well........
Old 13-02-2016, 04:22   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

I was talking about the attitude and name calling not the fact we are using an internet forum, sorry if that didn't seem clear. I enjoy being connected and using the net, wasn't suggesting that was a problem. Did others misinterpret my post?

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing