Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 23:46   #151

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
There might be a fourth or at least a 3a!

... where someone selects you and stalks your posts, and then sends you pms saying I know where you live."

Truly frightening to me and I've been doing boating forums for many, many years and this was the first.

Happened last month right on here, and the mods were great to get rid of this creep.

Thanks again, Ed.
I first signed up with a handle that was my name and Ive always identified as living in Tasmania. I cant remember what the discussion was but i made some comments that were slightly negative of my profession and some moron actually rang my employer about it. My employer was fine with it but just wanted me to know someone had done so. It was then i requested my handle change to my boat name.

And in the last few months ive twice had other CF members pm me with their personal idea of a telling off. One seems to have disappeared from CF. i wont reply to pm's that are abuse anymore, or even polite 'tellings off'. Some people have too much time
Old 14-02-2016, 00:17   #152

Boat: Ocean Alexander

I used to be a frequent reader of CF. I'd spend several hours most evenings pouring over the topics and discussions being had. I told my wife that it was like wandering around a huge house with many rooms. Each room had its own group of people discussing a single topic. It was/is easy to find a place to learn something. After a couple of years my schedule started interfering with my evening learning opportunities and months went by without me logging on. This past summer we bought a boat that will be our home in 17 months and 17 days when I retire. We moved it from Washington State to Alaska and learned a LOT. When we arrived in Alaska I had some questions about my electronics. I asked for information on CF. I learned a couple of things. First be very plain in the title of the post what you are looking for. My first attempt wasn't clear and didn't get much response. I re-posted being very specific about my problem and was provided information that helped me resolve the difficulty. My only negative observation was that one responder seemed condescending in his recommendations (hey, I'm new at this and said so). Not a big deal but a bit unnecessary. I'd never quit CF over that kind of stuff. There are AMAZING people on this forum with incredible information and experience to share. I'm more than willing to wade through the chaff to find the answers I need. With that being said, I have noticed a more negative tone in some of the posts. For the most part it seems possible to avoid the negative stuff if I stick to the more technical topics. As my pace slows down a bit I'll be a more regular reader and possible contributor to CF. It's really nice to have the time to reconnect.

Cheers,
Old 14-02-2016, 00:36   #153

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Political correctness and aggressive bullying are two different things. And those that try to acuse people that point out another's rudeness or aggressiveness as being over sensitive are way of the mark. In regards to sucking it up, we'll it's not actually real life for all. I left school early and grew up in work shops ( mechanic) and laboring and as mentioned earlier worked in pubs for years, I know the difference between political correctness and aggression. Ive been punched in the nose and done the punching. The guys im talking about here aren't being politically incorrect they are being abusive, and I can assure you it isn't the same as having a discussion at the bar, bantering and hanging s..t on each other is normal in a bar ( guy ) type environment but aggression is aggression and it's real easy to be aggressive on a Internet forum.
From my perspective this thread isn't talking about political incorrectness, which I agree goes to far , this is more about showing a little respect for others that have a different view of the world than you. Bullying is bullying , and it's pretty easy to do from a keyboard when there's no direct consequence.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You see that's the great thing you don't agree with me but I still think I'm correct but not necessarily that you are wrong although you say I am . No skin off my nose it is your entitled opinion.
Bullying that is another political correctness and as long as man and women have walked upright it has been part of life and will continue to be so as is aggression.Dont get me wrong I'm not saying it all should be condoned it is however a fact of life.I also spent a lot of years working in pubs including a few on the edge of the commercial waterfront so have seen my share of banter ,aggression and bullying.I either lived and dealt with it or moved on as I have had to do with the rest of my life.
But the more I think about what your are saying the more I am concerned that we have become so ????? that one could truly be upset by someone "bullying" on an Internet forum.
Old 14-02-2016, 00:43   #154

Boat: Catalina 470

Mirage Gecko...But didn't you just say that it shouldn't be condoned? And I agree that we can disagree...lol.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-02-2016, 00:49   #155

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

1) i find a divide between mono and multi hulls comments... as so often experiences are not applicable
2) a forum should not include one-to-one communication. I would eliminate the ability to quote/answer individual comments, within the post. Or at least consider it as an option in the profile
3) "funny" comments are boring, unnecessary
Old 14-02-2016, 00:55   #156

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
1) i find a divide between mono and multi hulls comments... as so often experiences are not applicable
2) a forum should not include one-to-one communication. I would eliminate the ability to quote/answer individual comments, within the post. Or at least consider it as an option in the profile
Hello, Thunderbird,

Here's an opinion: I think quoting a post and responding therein is a simple and convenient way of (a) supporting an opinion and (b) rebutting said opinion. Therefore, I do think a forum should include one-to-one communication.

Please do not misunderstand me, I am not trying to pick a fight, rather exemplifying one way rebuttal can be handled.

Ann
Old 14-02-2016, 01:02   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
I don't understand what you want at all

Experiences are not applicable in mono/multi comments; no one to one communication, such as I'm doing now and eliminate the ability to quote as I've just done, and no being funny

What would be left
Old 14-02-2016, 01:29   #158

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, RC,

Humor is in the ? eye.... or ?ear of the beholder! it is so hard to do with only typed words! ...and with all the good humor in the world. It so depends on people's ability to pick it up! ...and that is where I am sadly lacking. It's good face to face, but internet lacking.

Ann
Old 14-02-2016, 01:41   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hey, RC,

Humor is in the ? eye.... or ?ear of the beholder! it is so hard to do with only typed words! ...and with all the good humor in the world. It so depends on people's ability to pick it up! ...and that is where I am sadly lacking. It's good face to face, but internet lacking.

Ann
Was it humor went over my head
Old 14-02-2016, 02:17   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ha, haven't heard of snakebites for years, since I was a lad studying up on the Tyne. Nasty drink, but those Geordie's loved them.

Now down here in Tassie a snakebites got another meaning.

Would that have been a snakebite in the Jungle Bar?
Old 14-02-2016, 02:27   #161

Boat: Boro Benito 42 ft Ketch

Censorship has never contributed to the collective wisdom. If someone expresses an opinion a bit more forcefully (whether they are right or wrong), may be the reflection of a bad experience or bad advice they have received in the past and this two may contribute to the collective wisdom.

Don't change anything, if you don't like a post, move on to the next one.

I have occasionally been surprised but never shocked by a post so far
Old 14-02-2016, 02:50   #162

Boat: Coast 30

I just wish everyone would use a spell checker before hitting send, Now I know I am not perfect but I do try to edit the corrections. Some folks I notice are just so full of over confidence in their touch typing abilities that what they send does not always make sense.

Perhaps the moderators should veto ambiguously worded questions by contacting the sender requesting clarification before re-posting. A typical problem arises when some one writes asking what boat to buy, Without giving their geographical location: Which thus makes it a ridiculous question. Yet all jump on it and off it goes to several pages.
Old 14-02-2016, 02:57   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
I just wish everyone would use a spell checker before hitting send, Now I know I am not perfect but I do try to edit the corrections. Some folks I notice are just so full of over confidence in their touch typing abilities that what they send does not always make sense.

Perhaps the moderators should veto ambiguously worded questions by contacting the sender requesting clarification before re-posting. A typical problem arises when some one writes asking what boat to buy, Without giving their geographical location: Which thus makes it a ridiculous question. Yet all jump on it and off it goes to several pages.
Old 14-02-2016, 03:09   #164

Boat: Valiant 42

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen...moderating is an impossible job.
Old 14-02-2016, 03:10   #165

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Would that have been a snakebite in the Jungle Bar?
Ha, far worse, Victors nightclub upstairs, cheap student night Thursday, very rough alcohol laced with turps. So learnt FA about gyro compasses. Was far too hung over on Fridays to cope with precession and all that stuff. IIrc Jungle Bar was the wrong side of the river for us.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing