Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 19:06   #136

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yes, the enjoyment has gone way down for me. Nowadays, I need to scrutinize everything I write, so that someone won't take it the wrong way, twist it around, then start the arguing and name calling.

The forum seemed to change last summer regarding the supervision.
In face to face discussion we can also communicate with with the tone of our voice or facial expression. This is not possible with just 140 ot less characters in text. Some people use emojis to convey irony or humour when they cannot through use text alone.
Old 13-02-2016, 19:15   #137

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
There might be a fourth or at least a 3a!

... where someone selects you and stalks your posts, and then sends you pms saying I know where you live."

Truly frightening to me and I've been doing boating forums for many, many years and this was the first.

Happened last month right on here, and the mods were great to get rid of this creep.

Thanks again, Ed.
Wow, Stu, that's pretty yucky! Glad you got action on it.

A tip for newbies, here, is that not only can you report posts to the mods, but also, PMs that do not conform to the 'be nice" rule.

Ann
Old 13-02-2016, 19:21   #138

This reminds me of the thread about should we encourage people to just go.

Maybe we have a sub category in each area of the forum for threads where you are only allowed to be positive and encouraging...regardless of if the person is about to kill themselves or others, if you are going to post you must tell them it's a great idea.

I would say 80-90% of the negative threads are just trying to point out poorly thought out ideas. Some get out of hand with people having different opinions or humor gets lost in the internet (guilty of both here) but truly just mean responses are not that common.
Old 13-02-2016, 19:43   #139

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Interesting, been on hear for quite a while and always found it very useful. Yes sometimes people can be a bit dogmatic, occasionally they have arguments and yes sometimes it gets a bit childish. Also you do need to take note of who you are reading, if you are new to sailing don't assume everyone is an authority (including me).
So overall it reminds me of almost every yacht club bar I have ever visited, there are the 'bar room admirals', the racing crew, the keen newbies, the old salt in the corner who really has done it all etc. Main difference is the newbies don't buy me a pint...
Old 13-02-2016, 19:44   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
This reminds me of the thread about should we encourage people to just go.

Maybe we have a sub category in each area of the forum for threads where you are only allowed to be positive and encouraging...regardless of if the person is about to kill themselves or others, if you are going to post you must tell them it's a great idea.

I would say 80-90% of the negative threads are just trying to point out poorly thought out ideas. Some get out of hand with people having different opinions or humor gets lost in the internet (guilty of both here) but truly just mean responses are not that common.
And in my experience, the vast majority of mean responses are the result of frustration caused by repeated "pig-headedness" on the part of the recipient to sound advice/facts they has received from multiple forum members.
Old 13-02-2016, 20:18   #141

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

As someone who reads a lot and posts rarely, the benefits of this forum far outweigh the negatives. We are all capable of being petty, but there is enough genuine(I feel) input that makes it worthwhile to wade in and ignore the BS.
Old 13-02-2016, 20:20   #142

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Boy I must be missing out. Nobody told me I had cronies. Hope that's not like cooties.

Somebody has been holding out. Hey guys.... Where's my Cronies????

Hey, lm happy to be your crony (is there a singular form of cronies?)!

S/V B'Shert
Old 13-02-2016, 20:38   #143

Boat: no boat, I'm a "landlocked" navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Ah but some of the trolls have class !!
I guess that they might at that. Question is the level of the "class" that they have or that they bring.
Old 13-02-2016, 21:37   #144

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
I venture that a lot of these rude posters would never in a million years talk to another sailor in person they way they do here on the forum. If they did, I dare say some here would find themselves drinking alone.

Alone and maybe nursing a fat lip.
Old 13-02-2016, 22:02   #145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Alone and maybe nursing a fat lip.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Old 13-02-2016, 22:11   #146

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Stu, You are correct. I'm not advocating any type of violence, I'm a totally non-violent person, but I've been in my share of drinking holes and have seen what others are capable of.
Old 13-02-2016, 22:18   #147

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Stopped drinking Stella 20 odd years back when they started serving it in plastic glasses.. it had already got a bad name as the other 50% of a 'Snakebite'.. the "I wanna get outa my face and kill" cocktail of certain bars..
Ha, haven't heard of snakebites for years, since I was a lad studying up on the Tyne. Nasty drink, but those Geordie's loved them.

Now down here in Tassie a snakebites got another meaning.
Old 13-02-2016, 23:05   #148

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

No I don't think its losing its way.
I find the tone and banter here to be much the same as most places and situations in real life that I have experienced at all socio/economic levels.The analogy of a bar is good for those that see and enjoy it that way .
As for some comments being politically incorrect or disparaging well I am more concerned that as a whole the world as I know it is far too concerned about being politically correct.Suck it up that's real life for as long as we have been on the planet.
Info is brilliant on here and opinion is just that and a lot of us have plenty of them or we would not be here.
Some of those that come across a bit abrasive simply don't have the social skills you like or maybe you are used to in your part of the world and as its not face to face even harder to to get your or their point across.
Old 13-02-2016, 23:17   #149

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Gaffermate, and everybody,

Fwiw, I think it takes courage for a woman to write about her feelings here, to make public what is usually private. Becky really took the lead here.

If you look at the new joke thread, some people think it is funny to post representations of a woman's day vs. a man's day, and I think mostly, it is a reflection of how the two genders view the expression of emotion, and maybe the value of emotional expression. Boy people, alone together have different standards of behavior for themselves than they use with women. [I just asked a man friend of ours about that the other day, wanting to confirm what I had suspected.] I guess what I'm getting at is that this is really mainly a men's forum, with a small, slowly growing, number of women participants. I have told myself, especially on the jokes thread, "well, Ann, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the effing kitchen." The policy works okay (not great) for me.

I miss the folks whose internet persona I had grown to like, who have left, just like I miss some of the real cruisers who have moved on.

Gaffermate, remember the old saw, "a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle?" For some women, that's really a true view, but for others, they'd rather have a good man to share their life with, and that's a true view, too. However, be wary of what you share on a public forum, because there have been stalkings of different kinds, and I think women are somewhat more vulnerable to that anti-social behavior.

Finally, I do think we should report posts we find offensive. It is sort of our responsibility to help the mods. It is unrealistic to expect them to read word for word of every thread--perhaps a fate worse than death! So, to all you people out there who don't speak up when you read something amiss, do it. As I understand the moderation process, it is a group deal, and no one acts unilaterally, and we need to hold up our end of the line, too.

Ann
Urban Dictionary: duly noted

1) A phrase which communicates that you understand and that you will give a person's advice, observation or perspective, proper consideration.

Re: Ann's comment, joke thread. Duly noted.

Vigorous debate held; options discussed; vote taken.

Decision: svmariane is guilty as charged. Probably. Preponderance of the evidence or the like.

Action item: Think twice before hitting the send button.

Sorry, Ann.

But c'mon.... Were the women Ukrainian Air Force cadets in their uniform miniskirts really over the edge? Really?? {I won't report if you bring out the heavy artillery and lambaste me in a PM ;-) }
Old 13-02-2016, 23:40   #150

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
No I don't think its losing its way.
I find the tone and banter here to be much the same as most places and situations in real life that I have experienced at all socio/economic levels.The analogy of a bar is good for those that see and enjoy it that way .
As for some comments being politically incorrect or disparaging well I am more concerned that as a whole the world as I know it is far too concerned about being politically correct.Suck it up that's real life for as long as we have been on the planet.
Info is brilliant on here and opinion is just that and a lot of us have plenty of them or we would not be here.
Some of those that come across a bit abrasive simply don't have the social skills you like or maybe you are used to in your part of the world and as its not face to face even harder to to get your or their point across.
Political correctness and aggressive bullying are two different things. And those that try to acuse people that point out another's rudeness or aggressiveness as being over sensitive are way of the mark. In regards to sucking it up, we'll it's not actually real life for all. I left school early and grew up in work shops ( mechanic) and laboring and as mentioned earlier worked in pubs for years, I know the difference between political correctness and aggression. Ive been punched in the nose and done the punching. The guys im talking about here aren't being politically incorrect they are being abusive, and I can assure you it isn't the same as having a discussion at the bar, bantering and hanging s..t on each other is normal in a bar ( guy ) type environment but aggression is aggression and it's real easy to be aggressive on a Internet forum.
From my perspective this thread isn't talking about political incorrectness, which I agree goes to far , this is more about showing a little respect for others that have a different view of the world than you. Bullying is bullying , and it's pretty easy to do from a keyboard when there's no direct consequence.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing