Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 13:53   #1

International Gun Laws

I'm a U.S. Veteran and panning on a circumvent in the near future. Can anyone recommend good reading materials for carrying self defense weapons? I don't plan on going to high pirate areas, but don't want to be without protection if needed.
Old 29-06-2015, 14:10   #2

Boat: Bristol 29
Re: International Gun Laws

Well it all depends on what you want to circumvent, and what you want protection from. Traditionally, sailors haven't worried too much about protection, but I did see a long thread recently discussing "Are Trojans that much better?".
Old 29-06-2015, 14:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Aquatexan and welcome to the forum.

I see this is your first post so guess you aren't aware that you just hit the hot button topic. If you do a little search on previous threads you will find dozens of discussions on guns and cruising. Most of the discussions were closed by the forum moderators when the discussions got a bit heated. The discussions are still there and on several you fill find links to various websites and other resources that addressed gun laws around the world.

If you want the short and sweet, there is absolutely no consistency. Kind of like the laws state to state in the US. One state you can easily get a concealed carry permit. Drive into the next state (New York comes to mind) and you will get locked up.

Same thing internationally. Many, many countries ban any kind of gun ownership and lots of them will take you straight to a third world dungeon if you show up with one, even if you declare it (and don't even think about trying to hide it). Many others will take the gun and lock it up at the local police station until you leave so will do you no good.

And before you ask, countries that ban guns also generally include flare guns (forget about an insert to take gun rounds), spear guns, cross bows. Some even ban sling shots.

Bottom line, I know of few if any circumnavigators that carry guns. Just too much hassle and too much risk of getting in trouble with the locals. Best option is to stay away from places where you need a gun or limit your travel to the few countries that allow guns. That will probably preclude going around the world unless you make very few stops.
Old 29-06-2015, 14:31   #4

Leave your guns at home champ.
Try diligence and stern words if needed instead.
Old 29-06-2015, 14:55   #5

Boat: csy 37

1. Lay in a months supply of food and drink.
2. Search the forums for "guns".
3. Waste away a few weeks of your life reading gun posts.
4. Conclude that you now know less than when you started.
Old 29-06-2015, 15:05   #6

If you're a veteran, then you likely know that personal violence in the far corners of the globe will more often then not- come from police, military, authority figures and mobs. Guns will make things worse, not better for you.

Keep your head up, avoid shortcuts in the jungle and stay away from the local women, following these rules will get you further then carrying an assault rifle into Malaysia.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-06-2015, 16:01   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

OK, as you can see you will get a range of answers.... Some biased on guns are OK and some biased on guns are not OK.

I'll just point you to where you can find the rules.

So, to answer your question: you will need to look up the laws and rules of each country you expect to visit in regards to firearms.

The website noonsite has firearm laws by country that can become your starting point. See: Countries — Noonsite

Be aware that you will need to work with each country you plan on visiting directly to get the current law and procedure.
Old 29-06-2015, 16:38   #8

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Bottom line, I know of few if any circumnavigators that carry guns. Just too much hassle and too much risk of getting in trouble with the locals.

Good Advice

Best option is to stay away from places where you need a gun -that'd be the USA then?

But please, don't deter people from running gun threads; when I've nothing better to do, trawling through a long-running one comes a very close third behind the 'Apple pads, phones, computers are crap/perfect' ones, though of course neither can come close to a thread about anchor choice - For the record, I'm a Bruce/Claw kinda guy.

Don't deter the US boats from bringing their guns along either: The pinnacle for entertainment value this year - way above even an anchoring thread - was watching a US Skipper, get fired-up and indignant because the Bahamian Authorities would only let him retain three of his guns aboard the vessel, the other eight he would have to turn-in to them. Eleven guns on a 48' yacht; WTF? Allowing for ammunition storage too, there couldn't have been much space left to stow the iPads and anchors!
Old 29-06-2015, 18:18   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Oh boy! Another gun thread!

Old 29-06-2015, 18:36   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I recommend the Smith & Wesson line of small arms for use on malnourished and weak islanders..For good sized healthy European types nothing beats an Ak-47 or the AR-15 .. For crowd control frags work great..Nothing like the smell of gun powder on a sunny day... This has got to be the best topic ever on CF! I love it Bang Bang shoot'em up!! Circumvent that!
Old 29-06-2015, 19:01   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Best option is to stay away from places where you need a gun -that'd be the USA then?
Generally only need to avoid a few unpleasant urban areas. Outside the crime ridden, big cities you've got at least a 50/50 chance to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
The pinnacle for entertainment value this year - way above even an anchoring thread - was watching a US Skipper, get fired-up and indignant because the Bahamian Authorities would only let him retain three of his guns aboard the vessel, the other eight he would have to turn-in to them. Eleven guns on a 48' yacht; WTF? Allowing for ammunition storage too, there couldn't have been much space left to stow the iPads and anchors!
Must have been a slow day in the islands.

So which three did he keep?
Old 29-06-2015, 19:19   #12

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Aquatexan and welcome to the forum.

And before you ask, countries that ban guns also generally include flare guns (forget about an insert to take gun rounds), spear guns, cross bows. Some even ban sling shots.
This part interests me (it's new advice, not the usual entertainment) because I inherited an old flare gun from my father. I think it takes 1" cartridges. I've never purchased the flare cartridges, anticipating trouble with online ordering, etc, but it never occurred to me that the 'gun' itself might get me into trouble. True enough, it looks like a serious weapon, not a toy..

Does anyone else have views on this?
Old 29-06-2015, 19:23   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
This part interests me (it's new advice, not the usual entertainment) because I inherited an old flare gun from my father. I think it takes 1" cartridges. I've never purchased the flare cartridges, anticipating trouble with online ordering, etc, but it never occurred to me that the 'gun' itself might get me into trouble. True enough, it looks like a serious weapon, not a toy..

Does anyone else have views on this?
Again depends on the country. Some places it will be considered the same as a handgun.

If it's with emergency gear and has emergency flares with it maybe it will be overlooked.

I would research carefully the laws where you will be with the flare gun to be safe.
Old 29-06-2015, 19:28   #14

Of course, Canada has a long history of sending their soldiers into warzones unarmed. It might be because Canadians are too sissy to shoot the starving populace.

More likely, it's because a big set of nuts is more likely to get you out of a hairball situation, with your dignity in tact, than hiding behind firepower and sandbags.

I guess that's why so many experienced yank travellers sew the maple leaf onto their rucksacks.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-06-2015, 19:39   #15

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTexan View Post
I'm a U.S. Veteran and panning on a circumvent in the near future. Can anyone recommend good reading materials for carrying self defense weapons? I don't plan on going to high pirate areas, but don't want to be without protection if needed.
It's a nightmare trying to deal with this.

Unfortunately in most countries you aren't legally allowed to defend yourself. Like Australia.

In fact you are liable for any injury an intruder suffers while on your property.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Closed Thread