Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 13:57   #46

Boat: Raven 26
Re: International Gun Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Sooo… here's one study that disagrees with you too. If I weren't so busy right now I could come up with many more:

NRA's Latest Advice Can Get You Killed - latimes

So, ante up. Let's have your study showing that resisting with violence makes you safer in an completely uncertain situation. Well? In my book, that's called upping the ante. And it is a dumb thing to do in a potentially violent situation.
Someone will always have a bigger gun or be a better shot.

Let them have your Ipad, Cell phone and Nike shoes and stay alive to tell the story.
Old 30-06-2015, 14:32   #47

Guess I opened up a big can of sh_t.
Thanks to those who responded appropriately, they rest of you gave me some good laughs. Especially the Canadian comments, since they always hide behind our sandbags in war zones! Yes, I know that for a fact. LOL
Old 30-06-2015, 15:19   #48

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTexan View Post
Thanks to those who responded appropriately, they rest of you gave me some good laughs. Especially the Canadian comments, since they always hide behind our sandbags in war zones! Yes, I know that for a fact. LOL
The Canadian dead from Neuve Chapelle, Ypres, the Somme, Dieppe, etc etc etc. would probably take issue with that statement.
Old 30-06-2015, 15:47   #49

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Of course, Canada has a long history of sending their soldiers into warzones unarmed. It might be because Canadians are too sissy to shoot the starving populace.

More likely, it's because a big set of nuts is more likely to get you out of a hairball situation, with your dignity in tact, than hiding behind firepower and sandbags.

I guess that's why so many experienced yank travellers sew the maple leaf onto their rucksacks.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I thought we were done with rucksacks, hippies and that silly thing about sewing a canadian flag on yer bag or whatever. Yawn.
Old 30-06-2015, 15:57   #50
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTexan
The Canadian dead from Neuve Chapelle, Ypres, the Somme, Dieppe, etc etc etc. would probably take issue with that statement.
Yeah, another minor historical detail he has "circumvented", the fact that Canada entered WW II over 2 years before the US...

Back to the point of this thread... Funny, but it's not Canadians who are the ones fearful of cruising a war zone like the Bahamas without Their Precious...

;-)
Old 30-06-2015, 16:09   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Sooo… here's one study that disagrees with you too. If I weren't so busy right now I could come up with many more:

NRA's Latest Advice Can Get You Killed - latimes

So, ante up. Let's have your study showing that resisting with violence makes you safer in an completely uncertain situation. Well? In my book, that's called upping the ante. And it is a dumb thing to do in a potentially violent situation.
How many violent encounters have you been in, and how did you handle them?
Old 30-06-2015, 16:10   #52

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Actually, the last controlled study done of such matters in the United States showed that you were no more likely to be injured, and your injuries were likely to be less serious, if you resisted an attacker rather than cooperating.

This was from a study done some 10-15 years ago. I will have to go try to dig up the source information, as I'm sure a lot of people will insist that this cannot be true... But it is.
In the USA that result would not surprise me. Crimes are often unnecessarily violent. Not the case in all other cultures.
Old 30-06-2015, 16:24   #53

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Hauling out a military assault rifle and blazing away at your neighbors boat because his dog barks will definately get you into trouble.

Agreed, but I've been to Aus and always found you to be a fair-minded, down to earth bunch and with the exception of the Chappell brothers and Dennis Lillee, great believers in 'Fair Play' too. So I reckon that if the bugger had a noisy wind-generator buzzing/whining all day and into the night, an Aussie jury would probably accept it as a justifiable homicide.

Come join us on the gun owners social group. A sub forum on this website where you'll be welcome.

Even me, a liberal, un-armed Brit? Actually, Lesley's reminded me that on our previous yacht we sailed 'armed' around Britain and most of western Europe for several years; we had a plum-gun (Google 'Orange Gun' and imagine a scaled-down version) aboard, until some drunken visitor stood on it one night and crushed-it. They're probably not up to much in defending your life, but great fun in a deserted anchorage, or for firing tomatoes at yachts sailing to close. A word of advice though - Long story short: Do NOT demonstrate one in a marina in central London (or indeed any major city probably) as the jovial London 'Bobbies' struggle to see the funny side.
Old 30-06-2015, 16:34   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Mass Murders only happen in gun ridden USA.....or not.

- Zug, Switzerland, September 27, 2001: a man murdered 15 members of a cantonal parliament.
- Tours, France, October 29, 2001: four people were killed and 10 wounded when a French railway worker started killing people at a busy intersection in the city.
- Nanterre, France, March 27, 2002: a man kills eight city councilors after a city council meeting.
- Erfurt, Germany on April 26, 2002: a former student kills 18 at a secondary school.
- Freising, Germany on February 19, 2002: Three people killed and one wounded.
- Turin, Italy on October 15, 2002: Seven people were killed on a hillside overlooking the city.
- Madrid, Spain, October 1, 2006: a man kills two employees and wounds another at a company that he was fired from.
- Emsdetten, Germany, November 20, 2006: a former student murders 11 people at a high school.
- Southern Finland, November 7, 2007: Seven students and the principal were killed at a high school.
- Naples, Italy, September 18, 2008: Seven dead and two seriously wounded in a public meeting hall (not included in totals below because it may possibly have involved the mafia).
- Kauhajoki, Finland, Sept. 23, 2008: 10 people were shot to death at a college.
Winnenden, Germany, March 11, 2009: a 17-year-old former student killed 15 people, including nine students and three teachers.
- Lyon, France, March 19, 2009: ten people injured after a man opened fire on a nursery school.
- Athens, Greece, April 10, 2009: three people killed and two people injured by a student at a vocational college.
- Rotterdam, Netherlands, April 11, 2009: three people killed and 1 injured at a crowded cafe.
Vienna, Austria, May 24, 2009: one dead and 16 wounded in an attack on a Sikh Temple.
- Espoo, Finland, Dec. 31, 2009: 4 killed while shopping at a mall on New Year's Eve.
- Cumbria, England, June 2, 2010: 12 people killed by a British taxi driver.
Old 30-06-2015, 16:36   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Mass Murders only happen in gun ridden USA.....or not.

- Zug, Switzerland, September 27, 2001: a man murdered 15 members of a cantonal parliament.
- Tours, France, October 29, 2001: four people were killed and 10 wounded when a French railway worker started killing people at a busy intersection in the city.
- Nanterre, France, March 27, 2002: a man kills eight city councilors after a city council meeting.
- Erfurt, Germany on April 26, 2002: a former student kills 18 at a secondary school.
- Freising, Germany on February 19, 2002: Three people killed and one wounded.
- Turin, Italy on October 15, 2002: Seven people were killed on a hillside overlooking the city.
- Madrid, Spain, October 1, 2006: a man kills two employees and wounds another at a company that he was fired from.
- Emsdetten, Germany, November 20, 2006: a former student murders 11 people at a high school.
- Southern Finland, November 7, 2007: Seven students and the principal were killed at a high school.
- Naples, Italy, September 18, 2008: Seven dead and two seriously wounded in a public meeting hall (not included in totals below because it may possibly have involved the mafia).
- Kauhajoki, Finland, Sept. 23, 2008: 10 people were shot to death at a college.
Winnenden, Germany, March 11, 2009: a 17-year-old former student killed 15 people, including nine students and three teachers.
- Lyon, France, March 19, 2009: ten people injured after a man opened fire on a nursery school.
- Athens, Greece, April 10, 2009: three people killed and two people injured by a student at a vocational college.
- Rotterdam, Netherlands, April 11, 2009: three people killed and 1 injured at a crowded cafe.
Vienna, Austria, May 24, 2009: one dead and 16 wounded in an attack on a Sikh Temple.
- Espoo, Finland, Dec. 31, 2009: 4 killed while shopping at a mall on New Year's Eve.
- Cumbria, England, June 2, 2010: 12 people killed by a British taxi driver.
Shall we start listing the ones in the US?
Old 30-06-2015, 16:43   #56
Marine Service Provider

Prior to America's entry into World War II in December 1941, individual Americans volunteered to fight against the Axis powers in other nations armed forces. Although under American law, it was illegal for United States citizens to join the armed forces of foreign nations and in doing so, they lost their citizenship, Many American volunteers changed their nationality to Canadian. However Congress passed a blanket pardon in 1944.

---------------------

America was involved in WW2 long before the declaration of war. My russian friends are astounded to learn that the US supplied trucks, jeeps, airplanes etc to the USSR.

Th US was "fighting" long before entering through this support.

Of course this was not taught in school....
Old 30-06-2015, 16:46   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthnJeff View Post
Shall we start listing the ones in the US?
Please do list the ones in the USA. That is to say compile a list of mass murders (4 or more murdered) for the world. Let's see how the US stacks up. I know it is a bit of research but it could be instructive.
Old 30-06-2015, 16:49   #58

Quote:
Please do list the ones in the USA. That is to say compile a list of mass murders (4 or more murdered) for the world. Let's see how the US stacks up. I know it is a bit of research but it could be instructive.
Actually does not take long at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._United_States
Old 30-06-2015, 16:54   #59
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthnJeff View Post
I think that you missed the for the world part of my request....

The point of my list was that these events happen all over the world. More from the same source:

"Look at recent history. Where have the worst K–12 school shootings occurred? Nearly all of them in Europe. The very worst one occurred in a high school in Erfurt, Germany, in 2002, where 18 were killed. The second-worst took place in Dunblane, Scotland, in 1996, where 16 kindergartners and their teacher were killed. The third-worst, with 15 dead, happened in Winnenden, Germany. The fourth-worst was in the U.S. — Columbine High School in 1999, leaving 13 dead. The fifth-worst, with eleven murdered, occurred in Emsdetten, Germany. It may be a surprise to those who believe in gun control that Germany was home to three of the five worst attacks."

Of course this is a few years old. Thus the need to do some research for the world.
Old 30-06-2015, 16:55   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Prior to America's entry into World War II in December 1941, individual Americans volunteered to fight against the Axis powers in other nations armed forces. Although under American law, it was illegal for United States citizens to join the armed forces of foreign nations and in doing so, they lost their citizenship, Many American volunteers changed their nationality to Canadian. However Congress passed a blanket pardon in 1944.

---------------------

America was involved in WW2 long before the declaration of war. My russian friends are astounded to learn that the US supplied trucks, jeeps, airplanes etc to the USSR.

Th US was "fighting" long before entering through this support.

Of course this was not taught in school....
Yes indeed "lend-lease act"..They (Russians) received the AirCobra fighter aircraft as well as small arms and other defensive and offensive weapons.. As did the British,Indians,French etc..Great tactics like this were done for several years,then ride in on our White Stallions and save the day ! (after everyone and everything else was spent and exhausted,what a way to fight a war..
Closed Thread