Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 04:26   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: International Gun Laws

Quote:
But please, don't deter people from running gun threads; when I've nothing better to do, trawling through a long-running one comes a very close third behind the 'Apple pads, phones, computers are crap/perfect' ones, though of course neither can come close to a thread about anchor choice - For the record, I'm a Bruce/Claw kinda guy.
Nah, global warming and the bloke that was detained in NZ because his boat was considered unsafe beat these.

Quote:
Unfortunately in most countries you aren't legally allowed to defend yourself. Like Australia.
Not true, first there are seven states and a number of territories and the criminal codes tend to be a little different in each. A lot depends on the circumstances but in general responding with innapropriate levels of force will get you into trouble. Hauling out a military assault rifle and blazing away at your neighbors boat because his dog barks will definately get you into trouble.
Old 30-06-2015, 04:33   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hauling out a military assault rifle and blazing away at your neighbors boat because his dog barks will definitely get you into trouble.
It is a touch antisocial.
Old 30-06-2015, 04:36   #33

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
As to the Original Poster, you want to carry a firearm - don't come to Australia
Again, not true. Most Australian states have their own gun laws and registration requirements. In some you may even own hand guns but the requirements for the possession, storage and handling tend to be fairly strict. Since the Port Arthur massacre, in which a nut case got loose with a military assault weapon, these are pretty well banned all over but in most states you may posses and use sporting weapons including guns.
Old 30-06-2015, 05:28   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
Leave your guns at home champ.
Try diligence and stern words if needed instead.
Studies have shown that groveling and whimpering and offering up a loved one instead, when confronted with violent attackers, has a high success rate as well.

The main thing is not to make them madder, or sadder, than they already are. You don't know what has gone on in their lives that makes what they are doing to you justified, and without knowing that, you are contributing to the problem if you resist and hurt them.
Old 30-06-2015, 05:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
If you're a veteran, then you likely know that personal violence in the far corners of the globe will more often then not- come from police, military, authority figures and mobs. Guns will make things worse, not better for you.
This. While I am not yet a cruiser, like you OP I am a veteran and a former police officer and VERY pro-gun. With that said, with all of the attacks I have read about on a boater most happened either...

1) at high sea by a boat full of people with semi-automatic weapons. Unless you are a sniper trained on moving platforms you are at a distinct advantage. Especially if they are laying down suppresive fire from said semi-automatics.

2) at anchorage, but usually at night when you are asleep. The very nature of smaller sailboats means it is easy to board (generally) and the owners are most often surprised. So now you have intruders, in the dark, possibly armed...your reaction times had better be VERY good.

The truth is you are better off with a bat, cudgel, or other such instrument. If you can get away with it keep a spear gun (you can also fish with it! ) handy, but make sure it is secure if you keep it "loaded", I would hate to have it fall over and trigger.

Situational awareness is your best defense, along with larger groups (when possible) and being smart where/when to go somewhere and when to give into the demands of those attacking you.
Old 30-06-2015, 05:42   #36

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Please do not try to "circumvent" local gun control laws. There is no such thing as a nice foreign jail.
Old 30-06-2015, 06:14   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Boathooked.

Old post & perhaps out of date ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ry-1641-3.html

Old 30-06-2015, 06:25   #38

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
-----The main thing is not to make them madder, or sadder, than they already are. You don't know what has gone on in their lives that makes what they are doing to you justified, and without knowing that, you are contributing to the problem if you resist and hurt them.
I trust the above does not apply to tax collectors.
Old 30-06-2015, 06:36   #39

Quote:
Of course, Canada has a long history of sending their soldiers into warzones unarmed. It might be because Canadians are too sissy to shoot the starving populace.

More likely, it's because a big set of nuts is more likely to get you out of a hairball situation, with your dignity in tact, than hiding behind firepower and sandbags.

I guess that's why so many experienced yank travellers sew the maple leaf onto their rucksacks.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Back in the late 60s, when my beloved adopted land admitted American political refugees by the hundred-thousands and no questions asked, we used to say:

" Question: In a room there is an Yank and a Canuck. They look the same, they talk the same, they dress the same, they walk the same. So how do you tell which is which? Answer: The Canuck is the guy with the identity crisis"

And THAT's why a Maple Leaf will keep you so much safer than a Ruger!

TrentePieds
Old 30-06-2015, 11:56   #40

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTexan View Post
I'm a U.S. Veteran and panning on a circumvent in the near future. Can anyone recommend good reading materials for carrying self defense weapons? I don't plan on going to high pirate areas, but don't want to be without protection if needed.
I have a great idea...Move to a non-violent country...detox off the fear of having to protect yourself from the boogie man...then buy a boat...then make a decision if you really need protection.

Quote:
Of course, Canada has a long history of sending their soldiers into warzones unarmed. It might be because Canadians are too sissy to shoot the starving populace.

More likely, it's because a big set of nuts is more likely to get you out of a hairball situation, with your dignity in tact, than hiding behind firepower and sandbags.

I guess that's why so many experienced yank travellers sew the maple leaf onto their rucksacks.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Darwin was right...Good grief and Americans are puzzeled as to why they are hated around the world...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 30-06-2015, 12:02   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Darwin was right...Good grief and Americans are puzzled as to why they are hated around the world...
I fixed puzzled for you

Americans are not hated around the world............... er.............

Never mind.
Old 30-06-2015, 12:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Boathooked.

Old post & perhaps out of date ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ry-1641-3.html
Thanks GordMay, glad to be aboard!
Old 30-06-2015, 13:26   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Studies have shown that groveling and whimpering and offering up a loved one instead, when confronted with violent attackers, has a high success rate as well.
Actually, the last controlled study done of such matters in the United States showed that you were no more likely to be injured, and your injuries were likely to be less serious, if you resisted an attacker rather than cooperating.

This was from a study done some 10-15 years ago. I will have to go try to dig up the source information, as I'm sure a lot of people will insist that this cannot be true... But it is.
Old 30-06-2015, 13:39   #44

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Actually, the last controlled study done of such matters in the United States showed that you were no more likely to be injured, and your injuries were likely to be less serious, if you resisted an attacker rather than cooperating.

This was from a study done some 10-15 years ago. I will have to go try to dig up the source information, as I'm sure a lot of people will insist that this cannot be true... But it is.
Sir Peter Blake performed his own experiment with this. I am sure he would disagree with you. Were he not long dead, and the rest of the crew, who did not resist and were left as witnesses to his murder post resisting with a gun, still alive to tell the sorry tale of their boarding by multiple armed assailants.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 30-06-2015, 13:44   #45

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

Sooo… here's one study that disagrees with you too. If I weren't so busy right now I could come up with many more:

NRA's Latest Advice Can Get You Killed - latimes

So, ante up. Let's have your study showing that resisting with violence makes you safer in an completely uncertain situation. Well? In my book, that's called upping the ante. And it is a dumb thing to do in a potentially violent situation.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Closed Thread