Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 17:01   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: International Gun Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Yes indeed "lend-lease act"..They (Russians) received the AirCobra fighter aircraft as well as small arms and other defensive and offensive weapons.. As did the British,Indians,French etc..Great tactics like this were done for several years,then ride in on our White Stallions and save the day ! (after everyone and everything else was spent and exhausted,what a way to fight a war..

I don't think the families of the 400,000 american killed in WW2 thought we were riding a white horse. Being a cruising list I'm sure we can agree that the Atlantic and Pacific had something to do with planning for "the european war".
Old 30-06-2015, 17:32   #62

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Click image for larger version

Name:	Guns-Canad Border.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	104458

I own several long guns-hunting rifles & shotguns,from single shot to 5 shot(max allowed),bolt,pump & semi & I hunt--animals.Hunting is one of the great things of life in Canada,IMHO.
Never had a need for more than one shot,occasionally two, &,for birds,three(max allowed)
Never had a need or desire for a handgun but I could have one for target shooting-hunting not allowed(or practical).

Yes-there is some "gun crime"-robberies,etc. in Canada.
Yes-there have been "massacres"-always by "mentally disturbed" types.
How do you really prevent a "nut" or dedicated terrorist from committing those types of crimes? I don't believe an "armed citizenry" would help. I'd be more afraid of the crossfire.Just my humble opinion.

I posted the att. to show an example of what happens @ Canada/US border regularly. In this case,it was an honest mistake & if he hadn't lied about possession,it would have been no problem.

Canadians are generally an easy going bunch. Visit,enjoy,go hunting-whatever. You won't need a gun for protection from people.

We just sit here quietly buffering the USA & Russia with snowballs & blackflies. .

Happy Canada Day (July 1) !!

An early Happy Fourth to my American friends!!

Cheers/ Len
Old 30-06-2015, 18:25   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Sooo… here's one study that disagrees with you too. If I weren't so busy right now I could come up with many more:

NRA's Latest Advice Can Get You Killed - latimes

So, ante up. Let's have your study showing that resisting with violence makes you safer in an completely uncertain situation. Well? In my book, that's called upping the ante. And it is a dumb thing to do in a potentially violent situation.
So if you quote absurd organizations like the NRA...can I quote Michael Moore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthnJeff View Post
Please don 't confuse him with facts.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 30-06-2015, 18:25   #64

Boat: Raven 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
I think that you missed the for the world part of my request....

The point of my list was that these events happen all over the world. More from the same source:

"Look at recent history. Where have the worst K–12 school shootings occurred? Nearly all of them in Europe. The very worst one occurred in a high school in Erfurt, Germany, in 2002, where 18 were killed. The second-worst took place in Dunblane, Scotland, in 1996, where 16 kindergartners and their teacher were killed. The third-worst, with 15 dead, happened in Winnenden, Germany. The fourth-worst was in the U.S. — Columbine High School in 1999, leaving 13 dead. The fifth-worst, with eleven murdered, occurred in Emsdetten, Germany. It may be a surprise to those who believe in gun control that Germany was home to three of the five worst attacks."

Of course this is a few years old. Thus the need to do some research for the world.
You seem to have forgotten Sandy Hook (20) Virginia Tech (33)
Old 30-06-2015, 18:33   #65
Eternal Member

Quote:
Please do list the ones in the USA. That is to say compile a list of mass murders (4 or more murdered) for the world. Let's see how the US stacks up. I know it is a bit of research but it could be instructive.
Might want to be a bit more careful what you wish for ;-)

Two researchers, Jaclyn Schildkraut of the State University of New York in Oswego and H. Jaymi Elsass of Texas State University, have been collecting and analyzing mass-shooting incidents in 11 countries, covering the period from 2000 to 2014. Their book MASS SHOOTINGS is to be published next February...

Aside from the United States, the countries they studied are Australia, Canada, China, England, Finland, France, Germany, Mexico, Norway and Switzerland.

Dream on, if you wish to believe that mass shootings are not a phenomenon primarily endemic to America, among the world's developed nations...

Quote:
Elsass warned PolitiFact of a few caveats about the data. While they believe their database "to be among the most exhaustive compilations available," Elsass noted that it may not include every instance of mass shootings. It also doesn’t include every example of mass killings -- just those committed by firearms, even though mass stabbings are not uncommon in such places as China. Finally, their database doesn’t include acts generally considered to be terrorism, such as the attack in Paris on the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

"If these were included, we are likely to see something much different statistically as there have been a number of very high-profile terrorist attacks in Europe, some including the use of firearms, that are excluded from the current analysis," she said.

Is Barack Obama correct that mass killings don't happen in other countries? | PolitiFact
Old 30-06-2015, 18:45   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTexan View Post
Guess I opened up a big can of sh_t.
Thanks to those who responded appropriately, they rest of you gave me some good laughs. Especially the Canadian comments, since they always hide behind our sandbags in war zones! Yes, I know that for a fact. LOL
I think you need to be told that the vast majority of Canadians are VEHEMENTLY opposed to aiding and abetting the Great Hegemon to the south of us in her striving for extra-territorial "full spectrum dominance". But we Canadians can no more get rid of a morally bankrupt and cowardly government that sez "How high, Sir?" when that sorry lot on the banks of the Potomac sez "Jump!", than honest, decent Americans can get rid of THEIR morally deficient government.

OUR government's incapacity stems from the simple fact that some 70% of our foreign trade is with the US. What is the reason for "Washington"'s moral deficiencies?

No need to answer that. The world has long since made up its mind about that!

So let's all get back to cruising. And let's all leave our guns behind.

Venceremos!

TrentePieds
Old 30-06-2015, 20:09   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Might want to be a bit more careful what you wish for ;-)

Two researchers, Jaclyn Schildkraut of the State University of New York in Oswego and H. Jaymi Elsass of Texas State University, have been collecting and analyzing mass-shooting incidents in 11 countries, covering the period from 2000 to 2014. Their book MASS SHOOTINGS is to be published next February...

Aside from the United States, the countries they studied are Australia, Canada, China, England, Finland, France, Germany, Mexico, Norway and Switzerland.

Dream on, if you wish to believe that mass shootings are not a phenomenon primarily endemic to America, among the world's developed nations...

Actually no. I am all for actual facts regardless of my viewpoint. It will be interesting to read the book and look at the statistics. So Finland, Norway and Switzerland outrank the USA. Be interesting to rank them with guns per capita factored in.

PS to the other poster. I did not forget Sandy Hook or Virginia Tech (which is not K-12) they were out of the time frame I quoted (thought I put that in there - that they were not in the statistic)

Left off was Utoya (69) and other recent shootings outside of K-12.
Old 30-06-2015, 21:26   #68

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Actually no. I am all for actual facts regardless of my viewpoint. It will be interesting to read the book and look at the statistics. So Finland, Norway and Switzerland outrank the USA. Be interesting to rank them with guns per capita factored in.

PS to the other poster. I did not forget Sandy Hook or Virginia Tech (which is not K-12) they were out of the time frame I quoted (thought I put that in there - that they were not in the statistic)

Left off was Utoya (69) and other recent shootings outside of K-12.
Lets not forget that statistics can be used to show that statistics are statisticly untrustworthy

Seriously, it only takes a single nasty incident in a small country like Norway to screw the stats up enough to make the country look like a gunslingers' paradise....
Old 30-06-2015, 21:40   #69
Eternal Member

Quote:
So Finland, Norway and Switzerland outrank the USA. Be interesting to rank them with guns per capita factored in.

Why should that matter? After all, "GUNS don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people...", right?

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Lets not forget that statistics can be used to show that statistics are statisticly untrustworthy

Seriously, it only takes a single nasty incident in a small country like Norway to screw the stats up enough to make the country look like a gunslingers' paradise....
Not to mention, if those numbers he's focusing on 'prove' anything, it might be that American mass shooters can't hold a candle to their Swiss, Norwegian, and Finnish counterparts when it comes to marksmanship...
Old 30-06-2015, 21:44   #70

Boat: Raven 26

If the figures in that table don't give you an inkling that the liberal gun ownership laws in America are cause for concern ..... God help America

Sent from my SM-G920I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-06-2015, 22:22   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
I think you need to be told that the vast majority of Canadians are VEHEMENTLY opposed to aiding and abetting the Great Hegemon to the south of us in her striving for extra-territorial "full spectrum dominance". But we Canadians can no more get rid of a morally bankrupt and cowardly government that sez "How high, Sir?" when that sorry lot on the banks of the Potomac sez "Jump!", than honest, decent Americans can get rid of THEIR morally deficient government.

OUR government's incapacity stems from the simple fact that some 70% of our foreign trade is with the US. What is the reason for "Washington"'s moral deficiencies?

No need to answer that. The world has long since made up its mind about that!

So let's all get back to cruising. And let's all leave our guns behind.

Venceremos!

TrentePieds
I love it when folks( more correct ,"entities" like you, "Folks" would suggest that you are a person with an ideology when its obvious you are not,you are an "agenda"..)like you start in on the most powerful nation the world has ever known ..If it werent for the "Great Hegemon to the south" where would and what would your country be? If that "sorry lot on the banks of the Potomic" was not doing what they have done over the past 100 years do you think you and your country men would be living the life that you have lived and most everyone else has lived across the globe..You all (the Vehemently opposed)keep up the attitude you have and you too will soon start sharing what other "Vehemently opposed" nations are sharing right now...Its a thankless position for sure but lets see who is called upon when your country and all the other "vehemently opposed" countries are over run by the common enemy to democracy..I would bet the farm you wouldnt be calling Iran for help!! Keep on hating and you may get what haters deserve, NOTHING!! Or maybe I am forgetting or missing the fact that its people from places other than the USA that has held the world together(regradless of the fact that some things could have been done differently) post WWII and will countinue to do so by going after countries that lay claim to parts of the world that would hinder freedom of movement and access to open sea lanes..Nah I aint missing that fact because it is not a fact,it is just some silly thought process utilized by some that cant see or wont admit the realities of who and what has carried the world this far... We need and will get a better and safer world but first we must crack a few eggs if this new recipe is to work for the world..As Bob Marley said "every day the bucket goes to the bottom of the well but one day the bottom of a(will) drop out".. If that is where the world wants to head dont let us(USA) stand in your way,keep drawing with that same old bucket..Another water well anology," You dont miss the water until the well runs dry" ..Run us down some more or think about how many times the USA has mended and repaired the bottom of the worlds buckets..
Old 01-07-2015, 00:52   #72

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

I don't own a gun. I don't plan on owning one.
For one thing, in my experience all that is needed to chase an intruder away is show your face... (happened to me three times, once on a boat)
For another thing, I don't own a single thing that is worth dying (or killing) for. My insurance can replace most stuff, except my life. So if someone were to stop me and point a gun at me and demand my wallet, I'll give it. Then file a report, get a new wallet and send the bill to my insurance.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:13   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Sooo… here's one study that disagrees with you too.
Well, I didn't get time to dig up the source on my statement last night, but...

Seriously? You don't even understand the difference between an opinion piece and a study? Wow. I knew the quality of education was going down, but just, wow. This is not a "study." It has one line that says "statistics show..." That does not a "study" make.

Come on. That article is no more authoritative than my (as yet) unsupported statement. So at this point, it's love-love. But you can try another serve if you want.

(Oh, by the way. Not that it has any bearing on my postings in this thread, but don't kid yourself into thinking I'm some kind of gun nut who thinks everyone should be packin' heat all the time. I do not carry a gun on my boat, for a variety of reasons, and would generally advise others to do the same.)
Old 01-07-2015, 06:19   #74

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Such a nasty event in such a small country skews their statistics...that's where proper interpretation comes in.

There is something unique about USA culture that precipitates all these mass killings. I've yet to read anything that clearly identifies the root cause factors, but the USA clearly has the majority of such events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthnJeff View Post
If the figures in that table don't give you an inkling that the liberal gun ownership laws in America are cause for concern ..... God help America

Sent from my SM-G920I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
While I agree that gun laws (or at least enforcement of existing regulations) need serious revision in the USA. Its not guns that cause it. My home base is Guatemala, guns are everywhere, very common to see them in public places, but I've never heard of a single mass killing in Guatemala (genocide yes, but civilians comitting mass killings, no).
Old 01-07-2015, 06:35   #75

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ah ... I love the sound of a gun thread in the morning
Closed Thread