Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 13:10   #1

Insulation on Aluminium Yacht

Hi
I am looking at a secondhand OVNI, which is currently in Europe and have concerns that it predates any Insulation being installed, ie it has no insulation!
I intend to sail to tropical areas and potentially colder climates than Europe, so I am concerned about lack of thermal as well as sound insulation and how much of a problem this is.
Thanks for advice
mckinlne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 13:33   #2

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Insulation on Aluminium Yacht

Your concerns about temperature and sound control are valid. Additionally, condensation should be added to your list.

When the temperatures dip to the point of needing to close the hatches and turn on the heat, every bit of uninsulated metal will be dripping with condensation. This moisture will be coming from your cooking, cleaning and breathing. It is unstoppable.

You must insulate.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 20:06   #3

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

My 55' alloy sailboat has 4" or about 100 mm of mineral wool insulation everywhere above the waterline. It is spun volcanic ash so does not absorb water, is fireproof to about 2000f and is organic. Or so they say. I like it as I can weld on top of it without setting the boat on fire.
It is made by Roxul from Sweden, I believe. The downside is that it is heavy and bulky. I put about 1000# or 450 kg of it aboard. A trade off I suppose, as it takes a candle to heat the boat now, and it is cool in summer.
There are many other products, I just did not want to add a lot of nasty chemical products into my living space.
Greg
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:35   #4

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I dont think it is possible to retrofit insulation to an Ovni.
mckinlne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:50   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Spray in polyurethane as used in large freezers works well in metal boats. Mine is steel and has about 1 1/2" down to the waterline. It does not appear to burn and only smoulders when the steel is welded on. Repairs to the insulation are easily done with small pressure cans available from hardware stores. I trimmed mine back to get a fairly even surface and sprayed on a thick coat of water based white paint. Still in good shape after 30 years.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation, yacht