Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 20:09   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Indication of warming ocean

Re: Indication of warming ocean Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan
40 years ago it was an impending ice age that had the Chicken Littles scurrying about.

Only in the MSM, not the science.

A few climate scientists have now scanned through the research literature of the time. For 1965 to 1979, they found seven articles that predicted cooling, 44 that predicted warming and 20 that were neutral. The results are being published in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.

http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/131047.pdf
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

I was in high school back then and I remember some lessons at the time 'criticising' the scare as not being 'scientific'. They used it as an example of a non majority view that's not based on science. other than that we were more worried about the Yanks and the Russians blowing the world up.

I think the 'fear mongers' back then are very similar to those who deny the science now. They are a minority of persons, the 3 out of 100, who insist they have the science and they go about quoting nonsense from people who are completely out of their field.
Old 02-05-2015, 20:17   #32

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
It is smarter to do something about global warming and later proved to be wrong than not do anything and later proved to be wrong,
My degree is in Marine Science(combination of Oceanography and Marine Biology) and over the last 45 years or so since I took my first oceanography class in high school the ocean has definitely gotten warmer. When I was in high school we felt extremely happy when in August the ocean water temperatures at the beach in New England reached 60 F, now I sail the coast of Maine in water temperatures of 68-74 F. This is a huge difference from the middle and late 1960s. I absolutely believe in anthropomorphic climate change, but I also believe that this is exacerbated by our coming out of the Little Ice age, which it now seems may have been induced by human changes in the biosphere caused by the introduction of European diseases into the western hemisphere during the 1500. The issue is that we passed the point where we can actually stop these changes already. Just because it's happening in slow motion does not mean that it isn't happening. It also means that as was said earlier that we are now just along for the ride. Global warming will not destroy the earth, and it probably won't even destroy civilization. It's my opinion that there are a number of other things that will cause a mass die off of humans well before global warming makes things more than a little inconvenient.

You might as well sit back and enjoy the ride, because no matter how much effort a few well meaning individuals put into it, the masses of uneducated billions struggling just to get something to eat are not and their consumption will destroy it all. The oceans are all but fished out. They did not evolve to have billions of tons of their biomass removed from them every year and deposited on land. They evolved in a system where nutrients were recycled, NOT REMOVED AND ISOLATED. The oceans simply cannot sustain the level of damage we are causing just by fishing, not to mention the toxins we are dumping into them. I travel the same water I did in my youth and cannot believe the changes. By comparison to 50 years ago almost all the fish are gone. In another 50 I can't imagine that they'll be any left. With more and more demand for food by an ever increasing population there is simply no way to stop the destruction. My position is not to worry too much about global warming because we aren't going to make it that far. I can't predict the exact date things will collapse, or even the exact cause. The reason is that we are doing huge damage to the environment without enough knowledge of how things worked before they were severely damaged. We are blind men stumbling around in a mine field.

Rant over.
Old 02-05-2015, 20:19   #33

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am happy to hear the animal got rescued. Hope he or she will do fine in their new life.
b.

Yeah, and it'll swim up here and park itself at the Ballard locks and eat a 20 pound salmon (at least the best parts and leave the rest for seagulls) every couple of minutes.
Those salmon are "endangered species" (which we eat) last time I checked.
What a bunch of BS all the way around.

Its NATURE people ! Get a clue.

Ayn Rand
Old 02-05-2015, 20:25   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Doom, Gloom, panic...the worlds going to end...how long has that racket been going on? Since man first walked the planet. Remember we were going to run out of food by Y2K according to the experts in the 70's. But what these panic pushers never seem to take into account is new technology and development. Remember Peak oil...ya...those suckers look pretty foolish now don't they. You can always make a buck selling books, theories and ideas to the masses that have to believe the world revolves around them and because they are good people and care more than the other guy, "they the smart and elite" can save us country bumpkins from ourselves.

Yawn....
Old 02-05-2015, 20:31   #35

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I am somewhat shocked to see so many in the sailing community so misinformed about global warming. You folks waver between from yes' 'the planet is warming but not because humans have anything to do with it'' to ''no, the planet is not warming up at all''. I would love to see a survey of all of you skeptics as to weather you saw the documentary ''Inconvenient Truth''. I did. I also watched all of the GOP debates. I also watched all of the Democratic debates. See, I watch it all and determine what to believe from that. You folks hear the name Al Gore and immediately turn-off. It is not a conservative debate, it is a scientific debate. Let me put it to you this way, if you were setting at the bar and Al Gore walked in from the pier and said your boat is on fire, would you bother to get up and look. I doubt it, you don't believe anything Al has to say. Anyway, the water is rising, that's a fact. What could cause it to rise? I can think of only one thing. About Volcanos. Fact, volcanos contribute a FRACTION of what human sources contribute to the CO2 factor.
I really though I was dealing with some free thinkers.
Old 02-05-2015, 20:36   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Let me put it to you this way, if you were setting at the bar and Al Gore walked in from the pier and said your boat is on fire, would you bother to get up and look.
If old Al Gore said I was standing, I would have to scoot my chair closer to the table...please even bringing Al "we should be dead by now" Gore in a discussion of Science is like bringing a Banana to a Gun fight.
Old 02-05-2015, 20:39   #37

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
I am somewhat shocked to see so many in the sailing community so misinformed about global warming. You folks waver between from yes' 'the planet is warming but not because humans have anything to do with it'' to ''no, the planet is not warming up at all''. I would love to see a survey of all of you skeptics as to weather you saw the documentary ''Inconvenient Truth''. I did. I also watched all of the GOP debates. I also watched all of the Democratic debates. See, I watch it all and determine what to believe from that. You folks hear the name Al Gore and immediately turn-off. It is not a conservative debate, it is a scientific debate. Let me put it to you this way, if you were setting at the bar and Al Gore walked in from the pier and said your boat is on fire, would you bother to get up and look. I doubt it, you don't believe anything Al has to say. Anyway, the water is rising, that's a fact. What could cause it to rise? I can think of only one thing. About Volcanos. Fact, volcanos contribute a FRACTION of what human sources contribute to the CO2 factor.
I really though I was dealing with some free thinkers.
If algore had ANY credibility, he wouldn't be producing 20 times the "carbon footprint" of the average person, he would be LIVING HIS PREACHING.

Is he? HELL NO ! He's rich from all his snake oil "preaching" BS.

You need to examine your thought processes.

Ayn Rand
Old 02-05-2015, 20:44   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
If algore had ANY credibility, he wouldn't be producing 20 times the "carbon footprint" of the average person, he would be LIVING HIS PREACHING.

Is he? HELL NO ! He's rich from all his snake oil "preaching" BS.

You need to examine your thought processes.
Gore's Law

As an online climate change debate grows longer, the probability that denier arguments will descend into attacks on Al Gore approaches one.

Here's a hint. Al Gore could be short, evil and fond of child sacrifice. He could emit more CO2 snoring at night than Christopher Monckton does all year. And his movie could be even more inaccurate than the Great Global Warming Swindle. But this wouldn't change a thing. What matters is not Al Gore's character but science. And, in the case of climate change, it's awfully compelling.
Old 02-05-2015, 21:04   #39

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
If old Al Gore said I was standing, I would have to scoot my chair closer to the table...please even bringing Al "we should be dead by now" Gore in a discussion of Science is like bringing a Banana to a Gun fight.
I would bet a lot of money you never watched an ''Inconvenient Truth''.
Old 02-05-2015, 21:29   #40

Here's a quote from an Australian site:

"That humans are causing global warming is the position of the Academies of Science from 80 countries plus many scientific organizations that study climate science. More specifically, around 95% of active climate researchers actively publishing climate papers endorse the consensus position."

More at:
https://www.skepticalscience.com/glo...termediate.htm

Captain Bill: loved your rant.
Old 02-05-2015, 22:05   #41

Boat: Finally boatless & back in the market

From the man I trust on the subject about the man I would never trust:

Old 02-05-2015, 22:33   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post

great video exposing the MMGW lie.
Old 02-05-2015, 22:48   #43

Boat: Finally boatless & back in the market

Quote:
I would bet a lot of money you never watched an ''Inconvenient Truth''.
I certainly haven't. He's not qualified to be preaching this as science. And, I don't really trust those that receive their income (university researchers & and government "workers" when this so conveniently keeps them in very well paying jobs with bonuses and the ability to travel the world attending boondoggles.

There are scientists on both sides. Most of those that deny it are not in a position to benefit from it. What does that tell you? It tells me that we should follow the money. This is a wealth redistribution scheme on so many levels it is almost funny. But it's not because our economy simply cannot afford to funnel billions of dollars into Al Gore and his minions' pockets....
Old 02-05-2015, 23:36   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post

you TRUST a journalist? And that's all he is. Hell, he doesn't even seem to know the difference between 'weather' and 'climate'!

And he calls himself a 'scientist' in it? Seriously? Journo's are scientists in this guys mind? He's a comedian surely.
Old 02-05-2015, 23:37   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Doom, Gloom, panic...the worlds going to end...how long has that racket been going on? Since man first walked the planet. Remember we were going to run out of food by Y2K according to the experts in the 70's. But what these panic pushers never seem to take into account is new technology and development. Remember Peak oil...ya...those suckers look pretty foolish now don't they. You can always make a buck selling books, theories and ideas to the masses that have to believe the world revolves around them and because they are good people and care more than the other guy, "they the smart and elite" can save us country bumpkins from ourselves.

Yawn....
Oh great guys someone let the trolls in. It's only a matter of time until Reefmagnet sees this and everything is south from then on.
Closed Thread