Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 01:59   #46

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Indication of warming ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
you TRUST a journalist? And that's all he is. Hell, he doesn't even seem to know the difference between 'weather' and 'climate'!

And he calls himself a 'scientist' in it? Seriously? Journo's are scientists in this guys mind? He's a comedian surely.
And what, pray tell, did you glean from his presentation that is demonstrably untrue?

And how does a man's chosen profession preclude having knowledge?

BTW, he is also a meteorologist. Pro'ly does know the difference.

Perhaps you have something constructive to add to the conversation....
Old 03-05-2015, 02:11   #47

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt View Post
And what, pray tell, did you glean from his presentation that is demonstrably untrue?

NO, he's not a 'meterorologist', nor is he in anyway a scientist as he claims. He's a 'weather man' whom own network disowned him.

but you keep trusting him.

"Coleman is also associated with one of the least credible organizations out there on climate change. On the website of the Heartland Institute — a group that questions the existence of climate change, considers the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change to be “a joke,” and has equated people that believe in climate change with the Unabomber — Coleman is listed as an “expert,” one who believes climate science represents a “fraudulent activity based on bad science in a continuing quest for funding.” And Coleman has admitted that his views on climate change are based on the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change (NIPCC), a non-peer reviewed document crafted by scientists who are reportedly each paid $300,000 by Heartland to argue against the scientific evidence in the IPCC report."
Old 03-05-2015, 02:22   #48

Boat: Dufour 35 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt View Post

You want to know what is untrue about his presentation? Where to start... For instance him saying that man didn't have an influence on climate in 1900, he actually says something that's untrue every two or three minutes. But hey, no problem with the climate for sure. It's been possible for centuries even millennia to sail the arctic passage...
Old 03-05-2015, 03:11   #49

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Oh great guys someone let the trolls in. It's only a matter of time until Reefmagnet sees this and everything is south from then on.
Nice to see you're thinking of me. I'll stick to the other thread for the time being. ;-)

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-05-2015, 03:23   #50

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Nice to see you're thinking of me. I'll stick to the other thread for the time being. ;-)

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
go break that 200 pg record
Old 03-05-2015, 06:10   #51

Hmmmm... so, the climate is changing. Which direction? Some data sets show that the Earth has actually been cooling for the past several years. Some say that the soot from human activity in the northern hemisphere is changing the albedo of the Arctic which increases solar absorption and accelerates the ice cap's melting which releases cooler fresh water into the oceans, yada, yada, yada.

Did I watch con man Gore's pseudo documentary? Yes. Did I find it accurate? About as much as one would expect from someone with his character, business interests and political affiliation.

Ever hear of the Holocene climatic optimum? It was warmer then than now (increases of up to 4 °C near the North Pole) and we still have polar bears.

To paraphrase another poster, there's not much we can do about it so lean back and enjoy the ride. The climate ain't what's going to get us. Ever studied the cycles of war? That we are in a major upswing into the early 2020s is way scarier than if we can sail the Arctic in a few years.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:16   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
great video exposing the MMGW lie.
The Cosmos Myth — OSS Foundation
Old 03-05-2015, 06:18   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
great video exposing the MMGW lie.
From the professionals at the Weather Channel

http://www.weather.com/science/envir...ement-20141029
Old 03-05-2015, 06:22   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we going from el nino into super el nino... whoot we all gonna die.
mebbe we changing poles. i think rhode island is a good site for north pole...mebbe pakistan...
isnt it time for a change???
why are folks getting bent outta shape over something not changeable....
Old 03-05-2015, 06:47   #55

Boat: Custom, Ketch, 50 - N'Ice

[QUOTE=Captain Bill;1816122]My degree is in Marine Science(combination of Oceanography and Marine Biology) and over the last 45 years or so since I took my first oceanography class in high school the ocean has definitely gotten warmer. When I was in high school we felt extremely happy when in August the ocean water temperatures at the beach in New England reached 60 F, now I sail the coast of Maine in water temperatures of 68-74 F. ~~~

Yep - same thing here ...
in Canada - Northumberland Straight is warmer in summer nowdays than the water in Virginia Beach. The Straight used to be frozen well into the summer (before my time). But, the water farther out in the Atlantic is colder than it used to be(I have been out there and its COLD !). The change in the ocean current speeds and their direction are causing temp differences (emphasis on "differences" here) - these differences are the ones between different places in the Atlantic not only "differences from past times). Because of the slowing down of north flowing (gulfstream) water - Northumberland Straight is tending to keep its sun-warmed water longer (its not being drawn out by the currents as fast) so it IS warmer in summer than it used to be - thats probably the same reason why the waters off Maine are warmer. Less warm water is being pulled from the Caribbean due to the current slowing down.
One thing for sure is you have to have your GLOBAL brain working not your LOCAL one to look at the whole picture of this so-called GLOBAL WARMING. Simply because it has the word Global in it I guess some people think that climate must have to be warming everywhere at the same time. Thats where a lot of misunderstanding between us "guessers" happens. We also have to be aware of changes in water temp at different depths - this is a very complicated "system" and there are many ways to become "distracted" and make the wrong assumption because of the complicated interactions between all the components.
I would NOT listen to climate change facts from any politician - why would I when I can get it directly from the scientists myself and I can continue to witness what is happening in the north by cruising in Labrador waters.
Thas my 5 cents worth - or you could say "my guesses". Too bad we won't all be around to see what FINALLY comes of all the "guesses" - OR maybe we will all be better off as just more molecules feeding the currents or what is left of them.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01   #56

This might help:

Three Simple Facts that Scuttle the Global Warming Paradigm
Cutting through the fog: a primer for the layman.
by David Solway
May 2, 2015
Three Simple Facts that Scuttle the Global Warming Paradigm | PJ Media
Old 03-05-2015, 07:07   #57

Boat: a sailing boat

I would not think that 'doing something is better than doing nothing'. After all, if there is any warming caused by humans then it is effect of us 'doing something'.

Man's tendency to patch up damage done with more (well intentioned) damage is world famous.

b.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:42   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan View Post
This might help:

Three Simple Facts that Scuttle the Global Warming Paradigm
Cutting through the fog: a primer for the layman.
by David Solway
May 2, 2015
Three Simple Facts that Scuttle the Global Warming Paradigm | PJ Media

In other words, it's Sunday, and the First Libertarian Church of the Immaculate Denial has published its latest sermon.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:43   #59

Boat: Finally boatless & back in the market

Quote:
you TRUST a journalist? And that's all he is. Hell, he doesn't even seem to know the difference between 'weather' and 'climate'!

And he calls himself a 'scientist' in it? Seriously? Journo's are scientists in this guys mind? He's a comedian surely.
You, obviously, didn't watch the video or you are having trouble retaining information....
Old 03-05-2015, 09:52   #60

Boat: Finally boatless & back in the market

The climate change moonies finally found this thread and have started evolving from attacking "deniers" to religion. Next they will be telling us how great their president is doing. I'm getting popcorn....