Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 09:45   #61

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Important things we don't talk about much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Thanks for that Mark! I recognized that something was going on and have been writing it off to romantic musings as to why I sleep so well on the boat v. the home mattress.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I sleep best in a flat windless anchorage in a multihull.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:04   #62

Comfy cockpit cushions. You are at anchor 90% of the time, and probably outside the cabin 90% of the daylight hours.
A 3" memory foam topper over old 4" firm cushions was a great mattress. Not sure about memory foam and heat in the tropics though...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:27   #63

Boat: Various

Someone above mentioned Air Mattresses. While we don't have them on our beds, we do have them. They are absolutely the best for so many uses. You have more people on board than beds, toss them in the floor and the extras sleep in comfort. You want to sleep out on the deck, put them there. And the beach. Yes, we've been known to find that perfect beach to spend the night on, gazing at the moon and stars. Now towels and blankets may be the norm. But air mattresses are heavenly in those situations.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:29   #64

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I'll second the comfy cockpit cushions. They're critical, as is a good mattress, coffee and binoculars. We're also Nespresso fans. No fuss; no muss, and the pods aren't that much more expensive than a good grind. Plus you can get refillable pods now which aids with the garbage issue.

I don't think anyone has mentioned good knives yet. Of course we have some on our boat, but we have friends who pack their own knives (in the checked luggage) if they're going to be on a charter boat where the galley equipment is usually not worth a darn.

PS, & I agree about finding a good coffee in the US--it's very difficult--even more so than finding a good beer!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Wow, generalize much do we?

In a country the size of the U.S., you don't think there's any good coffee? Anywhere? Say, Seattle? You are soooo quick to paint the whole nation with your brush.

So what's the REAL reason for the anti-American sentiments? It's o.k., go ahead and tell us, we can take it!

I'm am American, Retired Military, so I guess I'd have to say I'm pretty much pro American.
But he has a point, just like American mass produced beer, once you have had real beer, you'll realize just how terrible it is. Doesn't detract from the country, just our beer sucks is all.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:18   #66

The other poster makes a good point of good cockpit cushions. I have 2 of those adjustable seats that I would not sail without...
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:27   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm am American, Retired Military, so I guess I'd have to say I'm pretty much pro American.
But he has a point, just like American mass produced beer, once you have had real beer, you'll realize just how terrible it is. Doesn't detract from the country, just our beer sucks is all.
I dont know, there's pissy terrible beer everywhere. Becks, Heineken, Corona, etc you get the point. There are some great beers in the USA. I would say it's much easier to find a great beer here than it is in any of the world I've traveled to. Try finding a great beer in Polynesia or Trinidad. They may be there, but alot of places they must be hard to find!.... but up here in the PNW, great micro brew beers and others are everywhere.
Yeah, alot of Americans like terrible weak watery coffee and ditto for many of the weak pissy beers too. But not all of us. I'll take my Starbucks nice and strong too.... I've had better coffe on occasion, but it's a turkey shoot, Starbucks is consitsantly well done if you know what you like/what to order.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:45   #68
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

On a hot day when you haven't had one for a long time; a "pissy" beer is pretty good and I would consider having a few around as important.

Another important thing that comes to my mind is a good salon table. By that I mean one that you can get in and out easy, but big enough to use. And if it can hold a game of double dominoes on it that is even better.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:15   #69

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You folks should not be forgetting Turkish coffee; the stuff that grows hair on your tongue. Turkish coffee is made by boiling the super dark roasted finely ground coffee, until it's creamy. If you're ever on a night watch, there is no substitute for Turkish coffee!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:35   #70

Boat: Various

Recliners

If you have a room in your house with a sofa, a couple of chairs, and a couple of recliners, the recliners will always be filled first. So, on a boat, I like recliners or even reclining sofa sections where possible. In our home, we've gone a bit wild with them. Seems like everything we have reclines. But at least a couple on a boat, please.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 13:28   #71

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
You folks should not be forgetting Turkish coffee; the stuff that grows hair on your tongue. Turkish coffee is made by boiling the super dark roasted finely ground coffee, until it's creamy. If you're ever on a night watch, there is no substitute for Turkish coffee! !
Don't forget all the sugar!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 13:39   #72

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
best sales pitch i ever got was from a mattress salesman in a big department store.

he showed us the most expensive mattress in the store - $1000 i think. when i frowned at the price he said, 'you know, people will pay $40,000 for a car that they spend maybe two hours a day in, but won't pay $1000 for a mattress that they spend eight hours a night on'.

couldn't argue with his logic, but i still didn't buy the mattress.
I am glad that you didn't buy his ******** argument
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 14:40   #73
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Just because someone else doesn't like the way you make coffee doesn't mean it's bad coffee. People who drink it in those little shot glass size coffee cups obviously use a six mole solution or something. I like a lot of coffee, but not if I have to use a scissors to cut it while pouring.
Old 01-02-2014, 16:02   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I agree great beer exists in the US, but it's not the mass produced stuff, beer just doesn't seem to mass produce well. You know the old joke, it's like making love in a canoe
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 16:13   #75
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Germany, Czech Republic has great beer , in that any bar server great stuff. Outside that you have to search out craft beers , but I do find my local Tesco doing an increasing range of craft beers. Just had a bottle of hook nortons 12 days seasonal beer, very malty yum.

I've had some good beers in the states but you have to search them out. However right now my fridge has 24 bottles of miller , so there

Dave

Tags
import