Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 10:52   #91
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

idora, ye left out doj ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 11:13   #92

Boat: a sailing boat

When I cannot explain a complex technical or otherwise matter to someone with less knowledge of same subject, I will blame myself. For either my explanation was too complex or else I SIMPLY lack the skill necessary to explain things.

In the former case, I should try again; in the latter, I should rather listen than talk.

But ymmv. That's the beauty of it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 11:23   #93

There are a lot of "technical experts" on this forum. IMO one has to be very careful of technical opinions.... too many variables in the world to rely too heavily on theory.
It always reminds of the Shuttle Disaster panel... you know when the panel went on for days about the failure of the orings...droning on and on about techical theory.... but while they droned on pragmatic scientist Richard Feynstein put a piece of the oring material in a glass of ice and discovered it fails when frozen!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 13:05   #94
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
[*]Forum advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it. If you combine it with some self-education and research, it becomes much more valuable.[*]Opinions on something technical almost always converge around a few (or just one) solution, when there is sufficient understanding and knowledge. Remaining debate is either misunderstanding, or sport. [*]People who use a SAILING forum as a springboard for non-sailing political wankery (guns climate-change etc) should be keel-hauled. Then banned. I speak from experience, as someone who has been cautioned a few times, and banned from another forum.[*]Someone with "Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries" in their sig, should be regarded with suspicion as a possible #3 offender. Just saying.
Actually paid advice doesn't ensure any higher quality , often advice received free on the net is giiven freely without prejudice from people who are experts is very valuable.

Dave
Old 14-07-2013, 13:56   #95
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Explaining technical issues , especially engineering or electrical /electronics can be very difficult using just words. Most engineers use drawings to convey concepts , but forums make that difficult.

Then you have people say arguing a topic from obviously ( often self admitted) less then knowledgable position. The " hi I know nothing but want this answered " , then proceed to argue with all the posters cause they don't agree with the OP original views.

Then you have the " zealots " the long keelers , the anti production types , the dogmatists , etc , who insist that their view is the only view ( usually they own one of these ) , and they persist in attempting to drive that view home.

I personally find that having sailed on a variety of boats on a variety of conditions , tends to make one less of a zealot and more a generalist , simply because you've seen things work or not as the case may be .

The other thing you get is people arguing about " received wisdom " when practical experience suggest otherwise

But having said that CF on the whole is very civilised , I'm on several political forums and that's just bare knuckle street fighting

Dave
Old 14-07-2013, 14:04   #96
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
But having said that CF on the whole is very civilised , I'm on several political forums and that's just bare knuckle street fighting

Dave
On most other forums I seem to have a fairly short membership life...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 14:33   #97
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Lagoon4us;1283884
Do we prefer to argue?
[/QUOTE]

Yes!
Old 14-07-2013, 14:42   #98

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Dave! <GoBoating> Well said! ++

Mauritz
Old 14-07-2013, 14:59   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
oooooh, that's good - glad someone has been paying close attention to CF .

I think you need someone who has done exactly what you plan, every year for the last 50 years - otherwise it would only be wildly inaccurate guesswork from others.
No, the person asking the question needs to do exactly that, every year, for 50 years, before they can be considered experienced enough to do it.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:44   #100

Boat: a sailing boat

But while some errors come from lack of experience, some others come from too much experience. (I think the width of our experience is at least as important as its depth).

And we are more likely to hear something new from a newcomer.

You may have read that paper where they argued that experts who assigned higher probabilities to their forecasts turned out to be further off in their judgements than those that assigned higher rates of uncertainty to their forecasts.

The time you think you have it all figured out, that's when you are most wrong.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 16:54   #101
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Since TFC and Half-life! I will add you. I actually met my husband playing TFC 13-14 years ago. There he was setting pipes in the blue team basement and I came up behind him with my med bag and gave him an infection. It was meant to be.

Über lol! I remember TF on Gamespy. I'm presently server admin on Arma II Nukerat server, plus lots of RO2-HOS and some arcane grand strats. See ya in the trenches sometime!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 17:15   #102

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

If it wasn't for disagreement we would really know nothing.
Old 14-07-2013, 17:28   #103

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
If it wasn't for disagreement we would really know nothing.
I disagree!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 17:52   #104

Incivility is a common feature of online forums. A good friend mine in fact does research in this area (Google kenski online civility) and I have seen other data as well showing that in many forums as much as 20% of postings have some degree of.incivility. personally I think this forum is much more positive and civil than many others. I once tried to research the impact of iPhone versus iPad chargers on charging various devices and read somejust brutal, vitriolic dissageements on two different.online forums. Just last week, there was another exchanges between statisticians commenting on an article in the online edition if the Atlanic. Again, just meanspirited dialogue to the core.

Point being, I have read this forum regularly for a year, and admidtedly have not read it all, but again I personally think this forum bahaves pretty goodnaturedly compared to others I have seen.
Duke95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 19:03   #105

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

I grew up in New Jersey where disagreements and arguing is viewed as a sport. A forrn of bonding.

Perhaps that's why I've never felt personally insulted and am entertained more than disheartened by "controversial" threads. I don't view them as negative. I've actually gained perspectives I might never have been exposed to.

Oh but I have to share this! Perhaps just to add fuel to the fire. Stir the pot, selfishly continue my amusement, or just to be a troll......my apologies in advance to any personnel angst you may suffer by perceiving this as a personnel attack no matter how clearly this describes you, It's not about you, really.
The 18 Types Of Internet Trolls | SMOSH
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote