Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 10:54   #196

Re: I Wish I Never Bought This Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGeoff View Post
Basically the consensus I'm reading from the group is that don't bother with anything that needs work, don't buy fixer uppers. If you can't afford something good, you're better off swallowing the anchor than wasting your time and money on a possibility.

Ok. I suppose that's the sensible thing to do.

Or is there some other way? I'm listening.
Hi Geoff,

In a nutshell, I think the right purchase is a boat that's good enough to sail but otherwise needs updating/fixing up. Then, one has to repress the perfectionist urge, do enough basic repairs to make the boat safe to sail, and put her in the water. Sail her AND start doing the fixups you want.

Working on a boat without sailing it is like fixing up a house that you don't and may never live in. Life's too short.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:24   #197

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Hi, geoff I dont think u should give up completely. I'm not sure if you know but, I am the one who started this thread, so i know exactly what you are going threw. I am in the same boat.(pardon the pun)
I have a zero dollar boat budget right now and got laid off my job last week. Something better will come up and if you blow your budget on the other you wont be in a position to get the deal.
I have no magical answer but things always work out.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:31   #198

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

anyone looking in this part of the market for a boat needs to understand 2 things 1; negative equity and 2; 'bones'.
Negative equity = a boat forsale for $20k that would require $30k invested to make it worth $20k - if you cant do that maths, go ahead and buy, someone will take your money one way or the other.
'Bones' is a boat for sale for $20k that will cost $30k to make it worth $49k. If you know boats well enough to see those bones you'll do ok. You wont learn how to do that asking questions on these forums.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 13:13   #199

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

AussieGeoff,

You sound like you are a handy and talented kind of guy. Have you thought of how much it would cost to build a basic 30-34' steel hull and deck or aluminum if the cost was reasonable? Use an outboard motor to push it around as needed(cheaper than inboard and another less whole in the bottom). There are quite a few designs that a man with a mig or tig welder and a plasma cutter can fab in their backyard. While building the hull and deck you could be on the look out for mast, boom, sails and assorted hardware at reasonable prices (even aussie prices, LOL) This is one way if you are young enough and committed enough to have a boat within your budget. Think about it before buying a boat that may need more work and materials than it would take to build a new one to fulfill your boating dreams and desires. Also since the wife and son are keen you would have extra hands when needed. Heck, you could start a new hobby and be the leader, teacher and philosopher for the whole area. If it is an old steel boat and it was not finished on the inside with corrosion resistant paints you will never stop the rust. THINK ABOUT IT. At least this way you are only putting out money a little bit at a time as you can afford it.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 13:54   #200

Boat: san jaun 30

what you said! SO true. i feel his pain. we had more fun with a 17ft trailer sailer- had to pry it away from spouse to get a 30ft. dont want to go bigger, its exponentially more expense-complex etc. it's no liveaboard, but then again, the way things are going, maybe it is. ha! point is, maximize the sailing if you can
pappa gasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 20:51   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Hi Geoff,

In a nutshell, I think the right purchase is a boat that's good enough to sail but otherwise needs updating/fixing up. Then, one has to repress the perfectionist urge, do enough basic repairs to make the boat safe to sail, and put her in the water. Sail her AND start doing the fixups you want.

Working on a boat without sailing it is like fixing up a house that you don't and may never live in. Life's too short.
Yes, that would probably be nice. Finding one like that (particularly here) is something of a task however.

I've since had some contact and got a bit more history.

He suggests she weighs around six tonnes (according to the truckie that delivered her to him).

He bought her at auction, bundled in with some other stuff he actually wanted for his business - he knows sod all about boats.

Apparently it was on a mooring somewhere (in a river apparently) and was part of a deceased estate, the fees weren't paid and the moorings sold her off. At some point while still on the river, she was used as a 'party boat' by someone, and the interior knocked about and a couple of windows broken.

He has some local suck... ah, enthusiasts who seem willing to part with $1000 for it subject to inspection. I told him if he could get $1000 he should take the money and run.

If it doesn't sell he'll get in touch and he's going to send me some inside pics so I can see what I'd be up against, but if it's really six tonne, I think he'd be better off selling it for scrap v what it might cost to shift it.

That seems VERY heavy for a 25' hull, even if it is a steel hull with a cast iron keel, anyone think it's really that heavy?

Anyway, I think I might pass on this one.

AussieGeoff
AussieGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 20:54   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Hi, geoff I dont think u should give up completely. I'm not sure if you know but, I am the one who started this thread, so i know exactly what you are going threw. I am in the same boat.(pardon the pun)
I have a zero dollar boat budget right now and got laid off my job last week. Something better will come up and if you blow your budget on the other you wont be in a position to get the deal.
I have no magical answer but things always work out.
Mate, I sympathise, I'm also only working part time and not through choice.

Yeah, I keep hearing 'something better will come up' - maybe it will, but in two years of watching, nothing much has, not around this neck of the woods anyway. Stuff in this state all seems to be around double what it is on the east coast which is kinda depressing.

I keep looking, sometimes I think it's just a form of self torture.

AussieGeoff
Old 11-02-2014, 20:55   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
anyone looking in this part of the market for a boat needs to understand 2 things 1; negative equity and 2; 'bones'.
Negative equity = a boat forsale for $20k that would require $30k invested to make it worth $20k - if you cant do that maths, go ahead and buy, someone will take your money one way or the other.
'Bones' is a boat for sale for $20k that will cost $30k to make it worth $49k. If you know boats well enough to see those bones you'll do ok. You wont learn how to do that asking questions on these forums.
Yeah, that makes sense. As you say knowing how to pick one from the other is doubtless something that only comes with a lot of experience.

AussieGeoff
Old 11-02-2014, 21:06   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa gasket View Post
what you said! SO true. i feel his pain. we had more fun with a 17ft trailer sailer- had to pry it away from spouse to get a 30ft. dont want to go bigger, its exponentially more expense-complex etc. it's no liveaboard, but then again, the way things are going, maybe it is. ha! point is, maximize the sailing if you can
Mmm, unfortunately the Chief Officer is NOT comfortable in small boats, the 12' tender took her 3 weeks to get used to. A half day on a 22' Duncanson in a stiff breeze with the lee rail leaving a fair wake pretty much terrified her. Being on something bigger and stiffer and such got her past that quite nicely and she's still keen even 2 years later, even to the point she's willing to go out in the 22' Dunc again. So I have to be cautious, I don't want to put her off. Something 24' or so would be ok for her I think. That's at the high end of trailer boats and the low end of keelers I guess.

I've never taken her out in a Red Jacket or TS16/18 but I'm fairly sure it would pretty much frighten her off for life, I've seen too many tip over and really not that keen on them myself for that reason. What I really loved about the ferro we had all too briefly was how stable and good a seaboat it was.

AussieGeoff
Old 11-02-2014, 21:41   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
AussieGeoff,

You sound like you are a handy and talented kind of guy. Have you thought of how much it would cost to build a basic 30-34' steel hull and deck or aluminum if the cost was reasonable?
Never costed doing something like that. I can fix things, but never tried to build anything that elaborate. A place to work would be an issue. Put a boat at the back of my mate's factory to do some repairs is one thing, building a hull from scratch quite another - one would be relatively short time, the other relatively long. I'd need to buy a whole lot of stuff toolwise to build one v being able to borrow it, probably for nothing, to do repairs.

Quote:
Use an outboard motor to push it around as needed(cheaper than inboard and another less whole in the bottom). There are quite a few designs that a man with a mig or tig welder and a plasma cutter can fab in their backyard.
I'll think about it, but I suspect tooling up to do it at home might be a fair sort of cost compared to just fixing something. I'd also want it undercover - our climate isn't conducive to welding steel in the sun in summer.

Quote:
While building the hull and deck you could be on the look out for mast, boom, sails and assorted hardware at reasonable prices (even aussie prices, LOL)
My experience with local pricing for anything boat related is that the supplier assumes you are rich and charges accordingly. There are pretty much no 'reasonable' prices for boat bits really.

Quote:
This is one way if you are young enough and committed enough to have a boat within your budget.
Mm. Maybe. At 57 I'm probably getting past the 'build from scratch' idea if I want any time left to enjoy it. But it's worth more thought.

Quote:
Think about it before buying a boat that may need more work and materials than it would take to build a new one to fulfill your boating dreams and desires.
Mmm, not sure even the boat in question would take more work and materials to fix than building a new one unless it's badly corroded inside.

That said, it might almost be worth buying it just to get the mast and boom and some other bits (winches for instance) that are a LOT more expensive when you try and buy them separately.

Quote:
Also since the wife and son are keen you would have extra hands when needed. Heck, you could start a new hobby and be the leader, teacher and philosopher for the whole area.
Hell, I'm that already lol. The boy would be keen, but the Chief Officer is not so inclined that way, she has a plethora of other skills and abilities that I appreciate, so I don't hold it against her.

Quote:
If it is an old steel boat and it was not finished on the inside with corrosion resistant paints you will never stop the rust. THINK ABOUT IT. At least this way you are only putting out money a little bit at a time as you can afford it.
Oh yes, I'm well aware of that issue, I'll know more when I see inside it. If that's the case, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. A few rust throughs is one thing, having to almost fully deplate to fix rusty frames and then weld on new plate is more like building it from scratch. If it's that far gone I think it has a bright future as razor blades.

AussieGeoff
Old 11-02-2014, 22:03   #206

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Sure you don't have the funds to get what you want, but you can get a boat for $3k.
I suggest you build a catamaran. Plywood is inexpensive and effective and fairly easy to build with.
Here is a very inexpensive one, maybe too small, but that makes it fast to build and inexpensive.
Plans are a whopping $80, you can afford to build this boat.

Slider

You can go bigger and build something like a Woods Stryder,
plans are $320, you can afford this too if stretch out the costs.
Strider - 7.3m The "Classic" trailable catamaran

Old 12-02-2014, 03:18   #207

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I don't know a damn thing about OZ, but in virtually every marina I've ever seen, there is a "back row" of boats that have been sitting on the hard for years. These can usually be gotten for almost zero money - in some cases you can get them for free. I'd start looking there - where I could rummage around in the boat and get a better idea of how bad things are.

My club chased some of the "back row" owners and ended up getting three boats for free. They didn't need much work and now the club has three club boats the members can use.
Carstenb, you are on the money. I wouldn't usually encourage someone to do this to themselves, but AussieGeoff seems keen...

AussieGeoff, I suggest you use Google Earth to visit 34°48'14.42"S, 138°31'52.67"E which has one of the finest collections of "fixer uppers" I have seen in South Australia. Still a few hundred ks for you to have a look, but to us Ozzies, that's just around the corner. Honestly, I've been to the place in person and I am confident that if you got talking around there you'd be swamped with options.

And if you can find one that floats, heck, I'll see if I can tow it round to Port Pirie behind the old Swannie for you. As I mentioned, I am very keen to get round to the next Gulf. If we have to motor it will only take 300 litres of diesel to get around.

Matt
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:40   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Carstenb, you are on the money. I wouldn't usually encourage someone to do this to themselves, but AussieGeoff seems keen...
Matt, thanks for this. I'm comfortable with fixing something that has previously worked. Building it from scratch is a whole other ball game, I have a bit of experience fixing the unfixable and stuff like this is usually more sweat and screwdriver than money, with the exception of fittings, unless you are in a big hurry - which means more money to outsource some work.

Quote:
AussieGeoff, I suggest you use Google Earth to visit 34°48'14.42"S, 138°31'52.67"E which has one of the finest collections of "fixer uppers" I have seen in South Australia.
Ok, I didn't even know that yard existed. North Arm of the Port River? I can find that on the ground, no problem.

Quote:
Still a few hundred ks for you to have a look, but to us Ozzies, that's just around the corner.
225 or so. Too right mate, I drove 400 odd (each way) to look at a Van De Stadt in Lincoln, but it was sold on me before I got there next day, (despite arranging an inspection - which was disappointing to say the least). The owner tortures me by leaving the ad up on boatpoint. Nice looking boat and in pretty good order, yes, wooden, but in pretty good nic, the interior was done with west system a while back, got a little fretting around the window securing bolt holes, and it needs new companionway slide mounts, no motor, but for 3k I wasn't too worried. Fast boat, it was built there in the 70's and the owner swears he got 15 knots under spinnaker, apparently it planes quite nicely. There's a race called the Tripolis around the 3 cities in the upper Spencer Gulf each year, Port Pirie, Port Augusta and Whyalla, usually at the end of December. Mostly RL whatevers and TS boats with the odd keeler. The Black Soo would have frightened the hell out of them I think. Still sorry I missed that one. Oh well.

Used 1972 VAN DE STADT BLACK SOO Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Yep, ad's still there. If the sale fell through he was going to call me, but I haven't heard. Sent a text after it was still there two weeks later but got ignored so....

Quote:
Honestly, I've been to the place in person and I am confident that if you got talking around there you'd be swamped with options.
I see a lot of old wooden hulls, maybe a few hulls that might be ok in what appears to be the 'back lot' our American friend referred to. Only a few with masts. Can honestly say never seen one like this in Oz before. Most east coast marinas are so tight for land (due to the cost of it, especially with water frontage) they don't have such things.

Seem to be a few on the water that might be plausible, I can see one that looks to have sunk at a mooring (no, not thinking about that one) Hard to say much from sat pics, Since you've been there I'll take your word there are viable boats there that might be up for sale cheap.

Where I have looked at 'fixer uppers' (private sales) previously, not in bulk like this, I've been turned away by quite ludicrous prices put on it by people that obviously think they can recover the money they've blown on something that they ran out of time, money or enthusiasm to complete and probably paid too much for to begin with. I think the worst one was a 26' glass something that had probably the worst case of osmosis I've ever seen, deck soft in places and a completely stripped interior, with a seized ancient Yanmar that was probably auxiliary power on the Ark. Wanted 5000 and got nasty when I suggested a fifth of that was probably too much. Go figure. Looks like he got as far as stripping out the inside and rubbing back part of the outside of the hull and lost interest. It was doable, though I wasn't keen on a full interior refit, but I'd probably have taken it if the price was right. Never mind.

Quote:
And if you can find one that floats, heck, I'll see if I can tow it round to Port Pirie behind the old Swannie for you.
Very kind of you sir. I'll keep that in mind. I take it you've been there, so you probably have a better idea of that than I have. I'll certainly go have a look next time I'm in Adelaide, is getting access a big deal? Car wreckers are very averse to people browsing as a rule and I suspect this would be little different.

Quote:
As I mentioned, I am very keen to get round to the next Gulf. If we have to motor it will only take 300 litres of diesel to get around.
Well, I'd certainly be prepared to compensate you for that if it came to it, but probably cheaper/easier to road freight if it came to that. I'm not without resources, you'd be surprised what will fit on a 25' car trailer with a bit of juggling. My mate has the trailer for his 22' Dunc - now modified into a trailer transporter - but that could work as well.

Finding something to put on it worth the fuel to drag it home would be the biggest issue, I'm not keen on wooden hulls unless they are very sound (the Van De Stadt was not something I was initially keen about - wooden boats are high maintenance compared to just about all other forms) but I suppose I'd look at it if the price was right and the hull was ok. Seem to be a lot of tacky looking wooden hulls there, my guess is that the boats that look halfway reasonable won't be for sale, but it's definitely worth a few hours nosing around and seeing what might be up for sale.

Thanks very much for that Matt, appreciate it.

AussieGeoff
Old 12-02-2014, 08:08   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Sure you don't have the funds to get what you want, but you can get a boat for $3k.
I suggest you build a catamaran. Plywood is inexpensive and effective and fairly easy to build with.
It is? Ply here is very expensive, at least marine grade, mild steel plate is actually cheaper. Wooden boats are nearly impossible to insure too. Steel is ok and so is glass, some will insure ferro subject to a survey, (an improvement, given that most were 70's built, I guess they figure any still afloat are probably ok). The marina here is council owned and they don't require insurance fortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Here is a very inexpensive one, maybe too small, but that makes it fast to build and inexpensive.
Plans are a whopping $80, you can afford to build this boat.
I have little or no experience in woodworking at that level. No particular aversion to cats (not starting a religious war here) but zero interest in any kind of open boat. If I want to get soaked to the skin and 3rd degree sunburn I can do that in the pool at home for nothing, open boats are a health hazard in this climate (it was 43c today). I've looked a a few cats that might fit our needs, but the cost was ridiculous. I'd certainly look at a cat in glass or maybe timber that wasn't too far gone, but it would need to be a cabin boat with 3-4 berths.

Few around, but again people seem to have ridiculous ideas about how much firewood is worth.

For instance, if you reckon the 25' steel sloop was a bit far gone, have a butcher's at this amazing bargain...

Used 1994 PELIN SNOWBIRD Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au
I'd perhaps consider it if they moved the decimal point one place left, but again it's on the bloody east coast and clearly can't be sailed here, probably 4k just to get it here. Fugedaboudit.

There are actually a couple of cats for sale in SA much like the one you showed me in the 1500-2500 range but they are all open sun broiling racks and I'm not into that. I spent a very unpleasant day in a Soling on Sydney Harbour some decades back on a (rare) 40c day. Never again.

Cats don't heel much (been on a couple) which is a bonus from the Chief Officer's point of view and they are fast.

There's a TraileTri on boatpoint for 10k, which is at best spartan internally, more like a slightly mishaped monohull with outriggers to be honest, haven't been in a tri hull ever so can't say what they are like, looks quite nice.

Used 1980 FARRIER TT680 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

I'd definitely consider a biggish cat if one came along. I had a good look at the one in the ad, but I think it's way too far gone and seems to be just a bare wooden hull that looks to have been partly or mostly glassed over - mast, rigging and sails etc for that would be pretty expensive for a start off.

AussieGeoff
Old 12-02-2014, 08:25   #210
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I Wish I Never Bought This Boat

Take a look at Wharrams Tiki 21 & 26... A simple Stitch and Glue epoxy system and one side good builders ply is sufficient.. just need to be handy with jigsaw and drill.. excellent sea boats and at anchor a dome tent fits nicely on the deck.. for when you have extra guests,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGeoff View Post
Matt, thanks for this. I'm comfortable with fixing something that has previously worked. Building it from scratch is a whole other ball game, I have a bit of experience fixing the unfixable and stuff like this is usually more sweat and screwdriver than money, with the exception of fittings, unless you are in a big hurry - which means more money to outsource some work.

Ok, I didn't even know that yard existed. North Arm of the Port River? I can find that on the ground, no problem.

225 or so. Too right mate, I drove 400 odd (each way) to look at a Van De Stadt in Lincoln, but it was sold on me before I got there next day, (despite arranging an inspection - which was disappointing to say the least). The owner tortures me by leaving the ad up on boatpoint. Nice looking boat and in pretty good order, yes, wooden, but in pretty good nic, the interior was done with west system a while back, got a little fretting around the window securing bolt holes, and it needs new companionway slide mounts, no motor, but for 3k I wasn't too worried. Fast boat, it was built there in the 70's and the owner swears he got 15 knots under spinnaker, apparently it planes quite nicely. There's a race called the Tripolis around the 3 cities in the upper Spencer Gulf each year, Port Pirie, Port Augusta and Whyalla, usually at the end of December. Mostly RL whatevers and TS boats with the odd keeler. The Black Soo would have frightened the hell out of them I think. Still sorry I missed that one. Oh well.

Used 1972 VAN DE STADT BLACK SOO Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Yep, ad's still there. If the sale fell through he was going to call me, but I haven't heard. Sent a text after it was still there two weeks later but got ignored so....

I see a lot of old wooden hulls, maybe a few hulls that might be ok in what appears to be the 'back lot' our American friend referred to. Only a few with masts. Can honestly say never seen one like this in Oz before. Most east coast marinas are so tight for land (due to the cost of it, especially with water frontage) they don't have such things.

Seem to be a few on the water that might be plausible, I can see one that looks to have sunk at a mooring (no, not thinking about that one) Hard to say much from sat pics, Since you've been there I'll take your word there are viable boats there that might be up for sale cheap.

Where I have looked at 'fixer uppers' (private sales) previously, not in bulk like this, I've been turned away by quite ludicrous prices put on it by people that obviously think they can recover the money they've blown on something that they ran out of time, money or enthusiasm to complete and probably paid too much for to begin with. I think the worst one was a 26' glass something that had probably the worst case of osmosis I've ever seen, deck soft in places and a completely stripped interior, with a seized ancient Yanmar that was probably auxiliary power on the Ark. Wanted 5000 and got nasty when I suggested a fifth of that was probably too much. Go figure. Looks like he got as far as stripping out the inside and rubbing back part of the outside of the hull and lost interest. It was doable, though I wasn't keen on a full interior refit, but I'd probably have taken it if the price was right. Never mind.

Very kind of you sir. I'll keep that in mind. I take it you've been there, so you probably have a better idea of that than I have. I'll certainly go have a look next time I'm in Adelaide, is getting access a big deal? Car wreckers are very averse to people browsing as a rule and I suspect this would be little different.

Well, I'd certainly be prepared to compensate you for that if it came to it, but probably cheaper/easier to road freight if it came to that. I'm not without resources, you'd be surprised what will fit on a 25' car trailer with a bit of juggling. My mate has the trailer for his 22' Dunc - now modified into a trailer transporter - but that could work as well.

Finding something to put on it worth the fuel to drag it home would be the biggest issue, I'm not keen on wooden hulls unless they are very sound (the Van De Stadt was not something I was initially keen about - wooden boats are high maintenance compared to just about all other forms) but I suppose I'd look at it if the price was right and the hull was ok. Seem to be a lot of tacky looking wooden hulls there, my guess is that the boats that look halfway reasonable won't be for sale, but it's definitely worth a few hours nosing around and seeing what might be up for sale.

Thanks very much for that Matt, appreciate it.

AussieGeoff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img035.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	75913   Click image for larger version

Name:	img037.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	75914  

Click image for larger version

Name:	img038.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	75915  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote