Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2012, 09:47   #76

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Outboard? I have a 32' sailboat with 8000 displacement and only an outboard. It is a joke to take the boat out in any winds at all as it is uncontrollable. The original engine died and was replaced by PO with an 18 hp outboard. FAIL!!!!! Does not work as a viable way to use a larger sailboat.

Using that boat for parts for another boat.

Your boat has what displacment? An outboard is not going to cut it. IMHO
Old 13-10-2012, 10:00   #77

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: I Wish I Never Bought This Boat

Depends on the horsepower, and the prop pitch. . . . and the conditions you expect to move in.

A 15 hp high-thrust outboard might do the trick, so long as you don't expect it to push you into 40-knot headwinds all day.

If you're inventive about your bracket, you could probably find a way to make an even larger one lift easily.

And the maneuverability of the boat also depends on the hull form. Some steer easily, others resist all lateral inputs. . . .

This is all assuming of course that the current engine is beyond repair, or too expensive to rebuild vs the outboard option.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 10:40   #78

No doubt that an outboard on that boat ( or most sailboats!)is a less than perfect thing. But if the other option is to let it sit unused.... an outboard is fine for getting out sailing....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 10:52   #79

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
What is the deal with the rebuilt engine anyway? What went wrong...? That boat looks pretty good for a cement boat.
How would you mount an outboard bracket onto a cement boat anyway...? Cement drills and huge backing plate? It's a viable option for now.... can always use the bracket to store the dingy motor later. It's a big heavy boat, but 15 HP will probably push it well enough...
The motor took salt water in the exhaust some how over the past winter. (no anti-syphon hose) It sat on top of the pistons for months. I have since taken the heads off and have penatrating fluid sitting on top. I have tried every fluid and heat, as well as a mull and peice of wood. Not so sure about drilling holes in the stern for an outboard. I could probably find a used deisel for what the outboard would cost.
Old 13-10-2012, 11:16   #80

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

And let's not forget the ultra-low-budget solution . . . the yuloh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saoirse_Yuloh.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	48202  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 12:28   #81

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Mark, I have gone through boat building and boat renovation projects, both and at some point I was also thinking that I put myself in deep ****! However, with time and patience, I was able to sail with my first construction project from Canada to the Caribbean, spend almost two years living aboard. Then with my second project boat, the one I now own, I spent over 6 years renovating everything, spent only two summers in the water and I am about to complete now what I call the essential. The boat is sound, engine and tranny rebuilt, rigging improved, electrical, plumbing, electronics, hydraulics, tanks, all new. Deck was stripped, fibreglassed and painted, all kinds of gear were purchased and installed.
I have spent a lot more than what the average boat of this size and age would sell for, however over the years, without mortgaging my real estate I was able to bring the boat to a level of comfort, security, and aesthetics that I can feel good with!
So the real issue is, what was the purpose of upgrading to a bigger boat? In my case I was looking for a way to have a place in the sun where I can go once I retire. The goal is still achievable. I would have preferred to have the boat renovated faster and enjoy many more summers on the lake, and spend less money, but the result is that my boat is now in good shape, I have learned that even with my boat building experience, I have to think twice or more before I start doing something on the boat, I still have four years before I retire and I can continue to fine-tune my boat.
At the end, I will be sailing on a strong, comfortable, reliable boat that I know inside out. I will come out of this with more knowledge, more patience, and less money and a good old boat in A1 shape! Money is not everything, and time is not money, it is experience.
The question to ask yourself is: "What was the ultimate goal of upgrading to a bigger boat? Will I be able to achieve the ultimate goal? Will the boat meet my expectations?" If the answer is YES, you are probably not in trouble.
Old 14-10-2012, 02:57   #82
Armchair Bucketeer

Whilst I have my own "forever" boat , nonetheless I would never buy a boat (let alone poured money and time into her) that I didn't think could later be sold as a good boat in the mainstream(ish!)......i.e. by avoiding trying to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse .

Without wishing to be rude about someone elses boat choice - nonetheless OP's boat would have failed my own "silk purse" test - mostly from choice of hull material which will always restrict the sale market (and therefore devalue the price / work & cash put into her).......none of that matters with a "forever" boat of course, but sometimes life and dreams change..........and getting back at least some of those squillions becomes useful.

Sometimes plan B is the best option, no matter that less than ideal.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 03:33   #83

DOJ:

I think the concept of the "forever boat" can make a difference. I bought my 1986 boat in 1995 and have not looked at another boat since. I've gone to the Annapolis boat show several times and never feel the need to look at any of the boats on display. Even after chartering catamarans a number of times I never had the desire to sell my 30 foot monohull and buy one. As far as I'm concerned it will be the boat I own until I can't sail anymore. Yeah, there have been times of frustration like when the diesel died unexpectedly. But, as a result it got me to covert to electric propulsion which has made a big difference in the amount of maintenance I now need to do. Which for me has only enhanced the my sailing experience and my enjoyment on board.
Old 16-10-2012, 12:36   #84

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I would have to disagree!
Price the materials to build a hull these days. What I paid for mine 10 years ago wouldn't have even paid for half the raw materials at that time. Now they have doubled. My keel alone is worth $2000 in scrap. The price new is $20K maybe more by now.
Del, I'm interested in this topic but not quite understanding your point.

I'm talking about an empty hull - no cabinetry, hardware, equipment, motors, etc... Just an empty hull with maybe an operating rudder and some through-hulls installed.

Did you buy a blank hull 10 years ago? Or a used, complete boat?

The boat I saw in this topic looked to be nothing more than an empty hull with some old, damaged equipment and cabin construction which would need major renovation. But then, I find that I rarely can correctly interpret the condition of a boat from it's photos.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 14:57   #85

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

I purchased a hull, deck for a Corbin 39 in 1980 and paid $CAD 18,000. Such a hull now would probably cost around $CAD 120,000 if you could find a shop able to build it and sell it to you bare hull.
Old 16-10-2012, 15:18   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post
I purchased a hull, deck for a Corbin 39 in 1980 and paid $CAD 18,000. Such a hull now would probably cost around $CAD 120,000 if you could find a shop able to build it and sell it to you bare hull.
It certainly could not cost $120,000 to build a new 39' sailing hull, could it?

I'm going to PM you with a more detailed question about this.
Old 16-10-2012, 15:53   #87

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Heck, just price the materials w/o the labor and you'd be surprised at the cost.

But to answer your question I purchased a retired racing hull that was sailable with an old, but good running motor, all for the price of the fairly new rig and scrap price of the materials on board.

My point is; if one buys a boat that is not sea ready then one should expect to have a lot of work and expenditures ahead of them.

The OP's boat is in the same condition mine was in at times but has come a long way since. And I'm still finishing up the interior.
Old 16-10-2012, 15:54   #88

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM

It certainly could not cost $120,000 to build a new 39' sailing hull, could it?

I'm going to PM you with a more detailed question about this.
Sure it could! The replacement for a new 39ft built as Corbin is can easily cost $120k. A recent survey on my Corbin was $120k and is a 1979. With replacement new value of $350k
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 15:58   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape39 View Post
Sure it could! The replacement for a new 39ft built as Corbin is can easily cost $120k. A recent survey on my Corbin was $120k and is a 1979. With replacement new value of $350k
I think you're talking about a complete boat. I'm talking about a "hull" - a floating chunk of formed fiberglass with no equipment or cabinetry installed.
Old 16-10-2012, 16:00   #90

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM
I think you're talking about a complete boat. I'm talking about a "hull" - a floating chunk of formed fiberglass with no equipment or cabinetry installed.
Exactly. With the cost of materials and labor to hand lay the hull you can easily reach that amount with only bare hull and deck.
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote