Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2021, 23:19   #1

I want to buy a Cat in Florida or the Caribbean I live in New Zealand..

Hey,

Couple from New Zealand here.

My wife and I are trying to take a 2 year sabbatical and buy a Cat around 38 foot to live aboard for a couple of years on the ICW and the Caribbean.

I have spent a couple of months looking out at all the usual sites. I have emailed a number of brokers but to be fair they rarely get back to me. I want to spend around 185 to 200k.

I am really looking for a recommendation from real people to someone who could help me.

With Covid once I leave New Zealand I can't get back in plus its a 30 hour flight to get to look at a boat. Who can I trust?

I'm not a wealthy millionaire I'm a 20 year veteran Fire fighter so I can afford to loose some money on a 2 year purchase but I cant afford to buy dud!

Gemini, Leopard, Lagoon, Manta, Island Spirit, we aren't too fussy!

Thanks for your help.

Rich and Odette
Clearwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 01:41   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: I want to buy a Cat in Florida or the Caribbean I live in New Zealand..

Go to Fort Lauderdale, Florida area.

To economize, stay in cheap motels outside of the city or very near the airport. Do it soon because you’ll want to be there before tourist season when prices for lodging go up.

Look into staying at an Extended Stay type of hotel with a kitchen in the room. Saves a fortune otherwise wasted eating out.

There are always several catamarans for sale at any given time in South Florida.

You have to make a leap of faith based on seeing multiple boats for sale on yachtworld.com. Then accept your boat May not be perfect in the interest of getting the boat and getting out on the water. You don’t need a lot of boat to do the area you are looking to do. You can make adjustments to it later.

I’ve personally done this a couple times in life and it always worked out. The only difference is you’ll be on an international flight rather than domestic flight that I took.

In South Florida, you’ll be in a good spot for very quick flights over to parts of the Caribbean where you may consider a boat. However, note that most boats left in the Caribbean are left there for a reason. The owners want nothing to do with them. They went back to Europe or the USA and the boat is neglected. Not all, but most. The ones that are clean and brought back to Florida are usually in much better shape, as the owner is engaged enough to put time and money in still.

You don’t really need to trust anyone here. Don’t trust the brokers any more than to know they want to get the deal done too. Just put in the leg work and go see boats with different brokers. Once you find an adequate boat (keep emotions out of the buying process), put down your deposit and go to survey. Do realize it’s not a great time to be doing any of this because boats and RVs are the most popular things ever right now as pandemic activities away from people. You’ll have less selection and higher prices right now.

But there’s no reason this can’t be done and a good boat found for the icw and Caribbean

Good luck!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 03:21   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

People are now giving a broker a deposit in advance of a suitable boat being listed so they can grab it before it actually hits the market. I see these popping up on YW all the time, a just listed boat already under contract. To be fair a client just asking about boats half way around the world probably wouldn't get most brokers excited. But money in hand will get their interest.
Old 29-08-2021, 05:54   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Great advice, folks.

I'll add go to the broker/boat. Email from afar will be ignored. Also, realize that Florida has virtually no restrictions on recreational boating, really just that you carry lifejackets, flares, and fire extinguishers, so the market is wide open. Anyone could be on the market for that 85' yacht. It also leads to Florida being the leading cause of You Tube "Boating Fails of the Week" videos and USCG stations that open every weekend.
Old 29-08-2021, 06:36   #5

I would recommend paying a surveyor to do an inspection....is this vessel actually as described? All to often the vessel is not, pics are old and brokers.....well, are brokers.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 07:52   #6

The market is weird, it will change, but I will not predict when. So many boats are being sold to landlubbers who have no idea, that I expect the market to bounce at some point as these impulse purchases start to be dumped.

But for now, the biggest problem most brokers have is getting boats to sell that any intelligent person would want to buy. When a boat comes onto the market, a good broker, with a good reputation, will know ahead of time who the buyer is going to be because he has a waiting list of buyers who want boats.

There are a lot of challenges. First is finding a good, reliable and honest broker. Personal recommendations, preferably by people you know and respect, are the gold standard here.

Next challenge is getting to the top of a broker's waiting list of buyers. Any good broker has finely developed radar for serious buyers. He has to, or he would spend all his time with people shopping for boats for entertainment. In the current world, the broker is smart to have a very fine filter for buyers. There is minimal downside to passing by the occasional serious buyer, but a huge opportunity cost in wasting time with someone who is not going to follow through.

Not only do you need to convince the broker that you are serious and have the money, you need to convince him that you are not going to be a PITA. If a broker gets even a whiff that you are going to be more trouble than the next buyer you are never going to see a boat in the current climate. I know one broker who checks social media postings of potential buyers to see what kind of on-line presence they have. If you have a long trail of complaints and disputes, he's just not interested in working with you.

We know some people who basically hate everybody they ever spent ANY money with. In their eyes every single vender or tradesman on the planet is incompetent or a cheat. It must be tough going though life like that, but I can assure you they would have a very hard time buying a boat today because nobody would want to deal with them, even at a premium.

I know that "buyer's brokers" are a regular recommendation on this forum. Right now, you might find them a liability. Good boats are usually listed with good brokers. Today good brokers can sell any boat they have in a very short period of time. There is ZERO incentive for them to split the commission with a third party.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 08:59   #7

Re Hotel. Try Gallery One in Ft. Lauderdale, close to the beach and mall. It is a condo hotel and all rooms have living room, bedroom en suite and kitchen. The grocery store is just across the road. Across the bridge there is a car rental where you can rent when you need a car by the day or whatever. Brokers offices are not far away.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 09:30   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I found the website catamaransite.com to be very useful. Bought my PDQ36 off it, earlier this year. Best of luck.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 10:21   #9

Contact Capt. John Virginio, 207 671 0677, John.Virginio@gmail.com

He is located in Fort Pierce Florida
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 11:18   #10

Boat: Lagoon TPI

I will suggest posting here in the boats for sale wanted section to try and deal with an owner. As mentioned above brokers have very long buyer lists often resulting in the first buyer under great pressure to immediately offer the full price or buyer number 2 will step up in a very short time.
You have picked a very difficult market for buyers !
Also try the moorings direct. Don’t know if their brokers are any different though.
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 11:30   #11

Boat: CSY 44

I have a 2001 leopard 38 that will be on the market soon in Florida presently in the Carribbean around $160,000 pm me for more details
floydmiami1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 12:03   #12

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

There is a high demand for cats right now so the pickings are slim.

But if you keep looking, and get ready to jump on the right boat, there are boats available from time to time.

I usually look for a good sound boat with the hull, and decking, and interior in top condition.

Engines can be replaced, chartplotters, and sails can be replaced, as can rigging.

The HULL, and interior CANNOT be replaced.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 12:14   #13

Those saying using a buyer’s broker in this market might be a disadvantage may be right.
But I would say that may depend on multiple factors.
How experienced are you with catamarans, or with the Florida Market?
How familiar with the forms of U.S. (or Caribbean Nations’) contracts and escrow banking arrangements?
Will you be getting a surveyor recommended by the seller’s broker?
The boat you find may need work – a buyer’s broker may help you to find, negotiate, and expedite such work.

Possibly having someone experienced with both catamarans and the Florida market whose allegiance is to you as buyer might make sense.

You might take a look at some youtube stuff from Gary Fretz who is based in Ft. Lauderdale.
He is a broker – but regardless as to whether you talk to him or not - He does have a number of videos where he discusses issues around the hows and whys of buying and selling catamarans and the pros and cons of features. Food for thought anyway.

Disclosure – I do not know Gary Fret personally at all. I am not currently selling a boat. I have no commercial interest either way, and I do not live in Florida.
celle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 12:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Check out boats for sale FSBO. "For Sale By Owner"
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 13:20   #15

Boat: Oyster 054
Send a message via Skype™ to sailian89

I’m from s Florida, know a few brokers and the cruising area you mentioned well. Currently living aboard in Whangerei NZ. Be happy to chat. Send me an email sailian89@yahoo.com
sailian89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, florida, New Zealand, rib