Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2013, 19:11   #1

Boat: endeavour 42
I just committed

I just made my college decision. But the catch is... I'm only going for a semester. My parents offered to take me sailing during the Spring semester next year, and I couldn't say no. Today I emailed all the other schools I applied to and asked for a deferral. Next year I will decide where I want to go (not the same school as this year).
yoda slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 21:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Yoda, the biggest mistake I've made in my life was going to college for 2 years out of high school before dropping out. I personally needed to see the world from my own eyes before settling down.

When I dropped out at 20 I took my passion for sailing professional and have made a living off the water since then. I am now in my late 20's after living aboard for the past 7 years living and breathing boats.

The funny thing now is that as I am working full time and finishing my bachelors degree I still have a better job than most of my friends that graduated when I should have.

I learned something that is lacking in young Americans. A skill set and a hard work ethic. If you need anyone to talk to please don't hesitate to pm me.

I vote for following your heart especially if it leads you to play with boats.
Old 30-04-2013, 03:25   #3

Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice.
Just for some more background info... After I return from our trip I tentatively plan on attending College of Charleston, double majoring in Economics and International Business, and joining their offshore sailing team!
Old 06-05-2013, 19:03   #4

I went to college for almost a year before dropping out, to start a pretty good job in retail. Four years and a few jobs later, after living in the world, I thought I knew what I wanted to do for a career and joined the USAF. Ended up in a completely different career field, and have been turning wrenches on airplanes for 13 years now. And love it! College isn't the only way to learn about what you want to do. Go sail in the Spring, and live life! Who knows where you may happily end up!
Ldylightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 19:21   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: I just committed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Yoda, the biggest mistake I've made in my life was going to college for 2 years out of high school before dropping out. I personally needed to see the world from my own eyes before settling down.

When I dropped out at 20 I took my passion for sailing professional and have made a living off the water since then. I am now in my late 20's after living aboard for the past 7 years living and breathing boats.

The funny thing now is that as I am working full time and finishing my bachelors degree I still have a better job than most of my friends that graduated when I should have.

I learned something that is lacking in young Americans. A skill set and a hard work ethic. If you need anyone to talk to please don't hesitate to pm me.

I vote for following your heart especially if it leads you to play with boats.

Well, isn't that special -- all young Americans are lazy! That's why they go straight from four years of high school, many of which require community service as well as honors classes to get into a decent college, then into 4 year college programs.

Because they're lazy. All of them. Good to know.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 19:24   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda slayer View Post
Just for some more background info... After I return from our trip I tentatively plan on attending College of Charleston, double majoring in Economics and International Business, and joining their offshore sailing team!

Well you certainly should go to a school with a good sailing program! We have Eckerd College here, and their SAR program is really fantastic. I'm sure what you've found is very good also, but it's great you won't have to put that passion on hold to get a college education.
Old 06-05-2013, 19:26   #7

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Funny, I took two years off between high school and college to work for dad's commercial diving company and sail. Looking back now I often think to myself that I should have taken just one year off, not two. That second year was just self-indulgence, I should have gotten on with college and not goofed around. I did love sailing Long Island Sound though.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 19:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
COC has 10 girls for every guy,I think I would go to school first!(if your a guy) I have regret for not doing it myself,good luck with "your" decision...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 19:48   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
After I return from our trip I tentatively plan on attending College of Charleston, double majoring in Economics and International Business, and joining their offshore sailing team!
Some free advice from someone who serves as faculty advisor to a university sailing team: double-majoring is not conducive to inter-collegiate athletics. If you're going to make a serious commitment to your team, you won't have time for a second major. I realize that business majors tend not to have the work load of students in the arts and sciences, but unless you're some kind of genius who never needs to crack the books, you simply won't have the time to excel in two majors while you excel in a varsity sport.

Our women's sailing team just qualified for nationals. One of the crew is in one of my classes. Guess what's going to happen to her grades when she misses a week of classes--that's a week of all her classes--to travel to nationals.

You may want to talk to the coach at Charleston about what he thinks of your plan. His name is Ned Goss and you can connect with him through the team website.
Old 06-05-2013, 20:27   #10

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
These are complementary majors. You can complete these together, and still compete on a sports team. It's not like you're hoping to land a million-dollar professional contract.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 20:46   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Some free advice from someone who serves as faculty advisor to a university sailing team: double-majoring is not conducive to inter-collegiate athletics. If you're going to make a serious commitment to your team, you won't have time for a second major. I realize that business majors tend not to have the work load of students in the arts and sciences, but unless you're some kind of genius who never needs to crack the books, you simply won't have the time to excel in two majors while you excel in a varsity sport.

Our women's sailing team just qualified for nationals. One of the crew is in one of my classes. Guess what's going to happen to her grades when she misses a week of classes--that's a week of all her classes--to travel to nationals.

You may want to talk to the coach at Charleston about what he thinks of your plan. His name is Ned Goss and you can connect with him through the team website.

I'm sure that's good advice. Another option might be committing to five years to finish all your studies. I worked hard in college but I'm glad I had time for the extra-curriculars I did.
Old 06-05-2013, 22:21   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
These are complementary majors. You can complete these together, and still compete on a sports team. It's not like you're hoping to land a million-dollar professional contract.
No one is talking about professional contracts here. The point, rather, would be to make the team while at the same time maintaining academic eligibility. At my university, that would be a challenge for a double major. Maybe at Charleston it's easier?

Like I said, the OP should consult with the coach. I doubt that he'll be likely to advise a potential athlete to overload, but he might just tell the OP to listen to ArtM or anyone else who seems to think that it will be easy for student athletes not trying to land a professional contract.
Old 06-05-2013, 22:31   #13

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
I think these guys are being dramatic.

A double major does not increase your workload, it just changes your curriculum mix. Your graduation hours requirement does not change. Many of the core requirements will be the same for these two degrees. This should not change your graduation requirements, though it might shift you into a 5 year plan depending on your school's class schedule- if that happens, it just means one more year of competitive sailing and fraternity parties.

You will only have to take a few more business classes, and skip the basketweaving and ballroom dance classes.

In any case, Bash is right. See your counselors - at a minimum, you'll need to set up your curriculum in advance to ensure that you don't miss a critical class and get out of sequence to complete your majors.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:39   #14

Quote:

that is what I have come to understand, but I can always change my plans.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:41   #15

Quote:

I think these guys are being dramatic.

A double major does not increase your workload, it just changes your curriculum mix. Your graduation hours requirement does not change. Many of the core requirements will be the same for these two degrees. This should not change your graduation requirements, though it might shift you into a 5 year plan depending on your school's class schedule- if that happens, it just means one more year of competitive sailing and fraternity parties.

You will only have to take a few more business classes, and skip the basketweaving and ballroom dance classes.

In any case, Bash is right. See your counselors - at a minimum, you'll need to set up your curriculum in advance to ensure that you don't miss a critical class and get out of sequence to complete your majors.
I agree, and on top of it all I will have 21 credit hours out of the way already.