Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 11:45   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: I finally sold my old boat. Some lessons learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
selling via a broker in that price range is ridiculous...try craigslist or eBay.

I didn't have a place to park it where I could show it.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:53   #17

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I bought a 20k 1990 Benetau first 285 in great condition in 2014 sold it in 2017 winter. We had it on the market for 3 months on sailboatlisting.com and an online brokerage. The online brokerage cam up with 4 perspective buyers SBL.com got me in contact with 8 and ultimately the new owner.
While the vessel was in great shape when I took ownership I also got it in showroom condition before and during the sale. I think yes the year it was built, the general condition and the condition of certain things sell the boat.
I am a believer that 1st time owners generally go in the 25-30 foot range, if they are looking at something in the 70s their budget is small, baring the hinkley or the swan in the same size ratio. While I was selling my vessel their were several boats I would consider competition, non looked to be in great shape. When the perspective buys came I took them though the vessel and gave them the history on each aspect as well as the positives and negatives on things like wing keels, fractional rig, salt water heads, single handing modifications, where to get parts.
I believe all these things played a part in the rapid sale which was important because at the time I was in the process of buying a 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i and I needed the money from the 285.
If you want a boat to sit in a brokerage yard don’t do anything to it, if you want to sell it, fix it, paint it, clean it, and walk them though the vessel with a narrative that you answer the questions before they are asked. Don’t leave it to the guy who lets you self guide your own tour while playing on his phone. The vessel you are in now is still in that first time market.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:04   #18

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's an interesting reference point Jammer. My sense, as an old-boat owner, is that the market was stable for quite a long time (late 80s to 2008ish) for our aged boats. Boats that were 25+ years old had reached a low, stable, price. You could buy a boat, and with proper maintenance, could sell it again a number of years later for a similar dollar amount.

Then 2008 came along, and the bottom fell out of the used boat market. Since then old boats have been on a depreciating scale.

My sense is that lots of people got out of the cruising-level boat market after the crash. And at the same time, fewer younger folks are coming into the market. This has created a large glut of decent, older boats.

So we have high supply and low demand. Doesn't take an econ major to know what this will do for prices.
I think this is accurate. The millennials on YouTube are certainly exceptions but the overall excitement for sailing seems to be waning generally, and specifically for 40+ year old boat projects. I think the right way to consider a boat purchase is to calculate your “fun factor.” I bought a $15 k wonderful sailing boat with a separate shower (the Admiral’s criteria) five years ago. It was fully amortized on our first longish adventure, and three subsequent trips to the Keys and the Bahamas were “profit.” Then I sold it and didn’t have to pay to have it ground up and landfilled. Win!

My goal with the first boat was to reality test the proposition that we would like full-time cruising as a couple. Reality tested and proposition affirmed. Now we will spend 5x and buy a nicer, roomier cruiser for full-time livaboard cruising the East Coast, Bahamas, Caribbean and the Loop. Newer, not an orphan manufacturer, condo interior and broad market appeal 5 years from the start of the adventure. Would be interesting to run a statistical analysis, but my read is “95-‘05, 38-45’, aft room stateroom/berth is the sweet spot that may minimize the financial loss will maximizing the fun factor. At least for us, YMMV.

F
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 18:03   #19

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I don’t think you can beat trailerable boats for cost and maintenance. I have two of them. I am astounded here in California what the county and state want to charge the skippers for in the water boats. It is a short lesson on govt gone bad.
Yes, it is a hassle to launch and decommission. But I haven’t put a drop of anti foul on in three years. Haven’t paid more than 60 dollars a year for gear oil, fuel stabilizer, or motor oil. Costs me about 1000 year to store the boat on the trailer.
On and on. I can sail both coasts in the same season. 65 miles to windward as corsairs old slogan goes.

Too old to sail across vast oceans. Too cheap to buy and maintain expensive platforms.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 18:21   #20

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
But I haven’t put a drop of anti foul on in three years.

You are fortunate. The zebra mussels were terrible here last year. I put on two coats of Micron Extra last spring and a power wash with acid was enough to get the growth off of areas with antifouling, and I should get another year out of it. I anticipate having to rod out the water passages in my outboard because the shifter stuck on the way to the ramp last fall and it's probably full of shells.
Old 11-12-2020, 19:22   #21

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
I don’t think you can beat trailerable boats for cost and maintenance. I have two of them. I am astounded here in California what the county and state want to charge the skippers for in the water boats. It is a short lesson on govt gone bad.
Yes, it is a hassle to launch and decommission. But I haven’t put a drop of anti foul on in three years. Haven’t paid more than 60 dollars a year for gear oil, fuel stabilizer, or motor oil. Costs me about 1000 year to store the boat on the trailer.
On and on. I can sail both coasts in the same season. 65 miles to windward as corsairs old slogan goes.

Too old to sail across vast oceans. Too cheap to buy and maintain expensive platforms.
What are the costs of boats in the water from the state of California? (Yes, of topic but?)
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:14   #22

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I agree that the market has changed. In our marina, the old-time cruisers are aging out, one by one, and being replaced by young men or young families who use their boats for day fishing only.

They're great people, and it's good to see a new generation coming up. But they have absolutely no interest in cruising, be it in a sailboat or trawler.

Funny thing, I was the same way when I was young. A fishing boat, or a work boat, was the thing to have. Speed was important. Overnights were just a dream, or at best a way to get to the offshore fishing grounds early the next morning.

But the difference is, I kept the dream of traveling by boat. Eventually I graduated to a boat which could comfortably leave my home waters, and from there just kept getting more capable boats.

Maybe all the cruising YouTube videos around now will instill the dream into the next generation. I wonder if a generation got lost in between.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, SOLD