Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2013, 18:11   #91
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig
Re: I am sick of being Bullied by my Big Brother!

Haha, that's a good story! You see, we Canadians have our priorities straight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Back to hockey...several years ago my cousin and I were running late for 7:00 AM Sunday morning ice time in Windsor, Ontario. We were going through the tunnel from Detroit and hit Canadian customs. The customs officer looked at our sticks and bags in the back seat the told us to get going as you guys are late for your ice time.

That incident made us feel like the US and Canada are truely kindred spirits!
Old 21-01-2013, 18:11   #92

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

While I have often had to pick up items at the Purolater depot, I much prefer that to having expensive merchandise stolen from my front step while I'm at work!

Ref fees, some items are not covered under NAFTA. For instance, I purchased electronics last year & paid fees because they were actually manufactured offshore & shipped to the USA, not built there.
Old 21-01-2013, 18:16   #93

Well if nobody was there to accept the parcel, I wouldn't have a problem with having to go pick it up but they are paid to deliver it (or at least try). They do neither, so I have a problem with that.
Old 22-01-2013, 09:17   #94
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catalina 250 MKII

Northpacific I am with you! Most big corporations are TARTS, FLOSSIES, STREETWALKERS, HARLOTS, FLOOZIES, WHORES!!!! (OK, I go overboard a bit!) I always use USPS when I can, but still, some companies can whack you an extra fee! As for Hockey players, I agree to a certain extent with you, but I am generally content on ANY NORTH AMERICAN HOCKEY PLAYER that brings some WHUP-ASS to the RUSSKIES!!! I know that the cold war is over and if they ain't are allies exactly, they are still RUSSKIES and I trained for years as an Infantryman to meet them on the plains of Europe! (Old habits die hard!!) GO CANADA!!!
Buc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:51   #95

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

This thread has been very informative. I think I'll give Fedex a whirl because I have been pissed off about UPS brokerage for some time now.

To the comments about border crossing agent discretion - it absolutely depends on their mood and attitude and they have complete discretion. You have zero rights once you enter the no-man's land between the US entry/departure point and the Canadian equivalent. Most of the time if you are reasonable the attitude will be returned but not always. On balance over the years I have brought in enough free stuff that I owed tax on to make up for a bit of hassle from time to time in the future.

I have never been able to detect a pattern in postal shipments. Sometimes they fly through with no interference and then the next shipment will be tagged and in addtion to the GST which is legitimate you will get hit with a "handling fee". That of course is simply a revenue grab in the same fashion that the UPS fees are "what the market will bear" charges.

I buy a lot of stuff online and what really frosts my nuts are the US sellers who state they will only ship to the US. I don't get that attitude - why would you deliberately cut yourself off from customers who might bid up the price of your merchandise? Charge me additional handling and shipping fees if you want but why cut me out of the picture if your goal is to sell merchandise for a profit? I refuse to beg for them to deal with me. When I see "ships to US only" I simply move on. And how about those Chinese sellers who price merchandise FOB North America? That's going to be the salvation of the US and Canadian postal service.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 10:05   #96

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Hi Buc 210. Cheers. Most people I have met in my life are great. Mericans Germans and all sorts of inbertweens. when I had my little rant I did not expect pages of replies. The cross border shopping issue is a pain, but us Northern North Americans are often left with few choices. Perhaps by complaining enough and being vocal and from small beginnings big things happen. (think someone else said that just before they poured the tea in the harbour)

Anyway as to Hockey, the Canadian Game which has most of its teams in the USA, is dominated by Europeans of various denominations. Outside the NHL they play on bigger rinks, which means more space and the skilled players excel. In the NHL bigger rinks means fewer punters so corporate big brother wins again, which brings us back to my original rant. Good Night.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 14:45   #97
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rondo Normal View Post
PurolatorHelp.. Shipping charges are based on size, weight and mileage. Why should I pay mileage to my door and then have to pay for my gas to get to your terminal? It's not as if my door is inaccessible.
Hello Sir Rondo,

charges are based on size, weight and distance, not on actual mileage. Prices are made from a postal code to another. The charges apply to transporting a package from point A to point B. Point B in this case is not your house but our terminal since your area is not serviced by us or by Canada Post because of the size of the shipment.
Once again, I apologize for the confusion with this situation. If you do not want to pick it up, it might be possible, if the package is not restricted, to have it redirected to another address for delivery.
I would like to look into this for you. Could you please email me your tracking number and your address?

Regards,

Vincent Rioux
Social Media Coordinator / Customer Care Team
Coordonateur - Médias Sociaux / Équipe d'Assistance à la Clientèle

Purolator Inc.
E-mail / Courriel: customer.care@purolator.com ou/or assistance.clients@purolator.com
Purolator - Home

Follow us on Twitter / Suivez-nous sur Twitter:
http://twitter.com/purolatorhelp

Visit us on / Visitez-nous sur:
Purolator - Home
PurolatorHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 14:55   #98
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is the kind of useless corporate-speak you get these days. I don't want an apology, I want the service that is paid for and promised. Clearly you've paid as much attention to my comments here as your company did when I first made the complaint.

Please, just fix the problem. Either that or reimburse me for all the times I've had to drive to your depot here in Thunder Bay and pick up my packages.
Hello Mike,

I am willing to look into this further for you. Could you email me your address and one shipment tracking number?

Regards,

Vincent Rioux

Purolator Inc.
E-mail / Courriel: customer.care@purolator.com ou/or assistance.clients@purolator.com
Purolator - Home

Purolator - Home
Old 22-01-2013, 15:00   #99

You're a little late dude. The package was picked up last summer. The issue isn't distance or mileage, it is really just poor service. I only used Purolator for that delivery last summer because it was the only option the shipper gave and I needed the package.
We've had other bad experiences with Purolator and have already written you off as anything but a last resort.
Old 22-01-2013, 15:01   #100
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Vincent, is your client the same corporation that is/was Purolator Courier in the US?

Last time I used them was in the 1980's for an overnight rush delivery in downtown Manhattan. Client said "Where's my package?" and Purolator said there was no such address. Well...the actual courier didn't know "these" elevators went to the even floor numbers, "those" went to the odd floors, which is not uncommon. Courier said the odd numbered floor didn't exist.

And I'm sad to say, this type of idiocy seems to be spreading. UPS tells me they can't deliver to an apartment unless they have an apartment number on the shipping label. Even when there's a directory at the front door to the building, and the recipient has a UPS account so the apartment number is already IN their computer. They let the driver bounce the package--even though their computer has already verified the shipping address, and could easily have verified the need for the apartment number before the package label was even printed.

Corporate idiocy will never impress the customer. Apologies will never impress the customer either, unless they are accompanied with corrections to the problem.

FWIW.
Hello hellosailor,

I work for Purolator inc. A courrier company operating from Canada and the US and shipping to over 200 countries worldwide.

If you need help with a shipment or have a question, I will be happy to help. You can contact me and my team at the email address below.

Regards,

Vincent Rioux

Purolator Inc.
Purolator - Home

Purolator - Home
Old 22-01-2013, 17:17   #101

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurolatorHelp View Post
Hello Mike,

I am willing to look into this further for you. Could you email me your address and one shipment tracking number?
I will, although please realize, I already pursued this through all possible Purolator channels. After wasting more of my time and energy; after bouncing from one "client service" representative to another, I was eventually sent back to where I started. In other words, the corporate wagons were effectively circled, and I got no where. Oh, I did get lovely apologies, all worded very much like the one you posted here. There were all very kind, sympathetic words that meant absolutely nothing.

So forgive me if I'm just a bit cynical...
Old 22-01-2013, 17:27   #102

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I will, although please realize, I already pursued this through all possible Purolator channels. After wasting more of my time and energy; after bouncing from one "client service" representative to another, I was eventually sent back to where I started. In other words, the corporate wagons were effectively circled, and I got no where. Oh, I did get lovely apologies, all worded very much like the one you posted here. There were all very kind, sympathetic words that meant absolutely nothing.

So forgive me if I'm just a bit cynical...
I have responded to Vincent. I will report back with the outcome (in case anyone is interested).
Old 22-01-2013, 17:39   #103

Oh I'm interested. Who knows, maybe he's the one CS Rep that will do something but it looks to me like he's here trying to stamp out fires that have already burned.
Hopefully, for your sake, he can satisfy your complaints and do a little damage control in front of all these other fine folks.
Old 22-01-2013, 17:57   #104

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

All service operations are in it to make money! Fair do's. I am a Corporation into keeping my money. I never swore that i would willingly accept being exploited. In some small ways these small fires can leap into much bigger ones. Vincent is here as a fire fighter. His job is to spot and then quell fires. He is not here to make the system fairer or less profitable for his company.

The tariffs and double speak will remain until one of the big boys gets the idea that they are loosing market share. So Defender now ships using USPS, Will West Marine do the same? and Tiger etc. If you vote with your $ the big boys will do something. If not they will continue to milk the cow.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 18:07   #105
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
We don't really care about hockey. Our hockey players probably don't care, either. That's why your hockey players can beat our hockey players. Ours would rather be playing Football. The fact of the matter is, sports that require ice or snow are sort of an exotic curiousity for us Americans. Nobody actually does that stuff for real.
Same here - mind you football codes that require helmets are a bit strange to us.

Quote:
You guys spell funny up there, too. But that's okay my little northern brothers.
You do realise they spell ENGLISH the way the ENGLISH spell ENGLISH?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote