Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 12:56   #1

Hurth gearbox

Hi just joined this site hoping someone can give me any idea on how much oil I should put in my hurth gearbox its a hbw 15-2,5RV not shaw what that means its a v drive box I have tried looking it up " my boat has been layer up for two years " so thought I would check the oil ' when I checked the dipstick it was dry so bought two Ltd of atf destron !!! And put it all in "and still not showing on the dipstick " Ive looked up other models of the hurth but can't find my number on there and the ones I have looked up only seem to take one Ltr which is a worry because I'm wondering wear its going ? Do I keep putting more in until it shows up on the dipstick ???
Mithril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 17:27   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Hurth gearbox

Can't help with your specific gearbox, but I've noticed on my ZF10 that it is very hard to see the level of oil on the dipstick. I wonder if perhaps yours is wet all the way to the top and thus you don't see the level.

Carefully laying the stick on a dry paper towel after withdrawing it can help in finding the level.

Jim
Old 21-06-2016, 18:04   #3

I have a ZF15M and it takes 5/8 of a quart. The fluid level doesn't come up more than about 3/8" up from the bottom of the dip stick, where the full mark is.
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 14:30   #4

Thanks jim for your reply on my hurth gearbox sorry its taken so long to get back to you" i have looked at the dipstick levell and found it was complety dry and being that the atf is red i think i would of seen it on thear ' i mite just top it up some more just to see if its going to show on the dipstick i let you know how i get on ?
Mithril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, gearbox, hurth