Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 10:09   #16

Boat: Amel 50
Re: How to Remove Air from Fresh Water Lines

Sometimes it’s small things that cause big problems. I recently had a fresh water flow problem and was convinced it was air. It turned out to be a clogged filter (upstream of the pump) and clogged screens in the faucet tips themselves. 5 minutes and an old toothbrush solved it. I assume it was mineral build up.
Old 21-06-2020, 01:18   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonito38 View Post
I have recently purchased a yacht that had been sitting on a mooring without use for nearly 4 years. Amongst several items that failed to work through lack of use were the water taps. After replacing the non-functioning water pump with a new Shurflo pump, all that came out was a small trickle of water that quickly dried up. Then nothing but what sounds like air bubbles.
I can only assume that the lines are full of air that is stopping the water coming through. How can these air bubbles be removed or bled out of the lines so I can pump water again?
Hi. Use your foot pump to the dinghy connect it to the hose next to the pump and press air backwards into the tank. See what happens. Jon
Canarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 04:33   #18

Boat: Swanson 38'

How to Remove Air from Fresh Water Lines (Version 2)
Firstly, thanks so much to all those who responded my dilemma. I have followed the advice received. We focused on the link between the tank and the new water pump, firstly by blowing down the pipe into the tank resulting in blowing bubbles in the tank water. When you suck up the pipe we only get air. We have since discovered that on the tap end of the pump there are three Suction Control Valves that enable you to select which of the yacht’s two water tanks you wish to draw water from. We have tried setting the valves into various positions and still can’t pump water. I think we now have a larger problem than I originally thought so have decided it’s time to call in the professionals. I sincerely thank everybody for their constructive suggestions to date.
Bonito38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 09:37   #19

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonito38 View Post
How to Remove Air from Fresh Water Lines (Version 2)
Firstly, thanks so much to all those who responded my dilemma. I have followed the advice received. We focused on the link between the tank and the new water pump, firstly by blowing down the pipe into the tank resulting in blowing bubbles in the tank water. When you suck up the pipe we only get air. We have since discovered that on the tap end of the pump there are three Suction Control Valves that enable you to select which of the yacht’s two water tanks you wish to draw water from. We have tried setting the valves into various positions and still can’t pump water. I think we now have a larger problem than I originally thought so have decided it’s time to call in the professionals. I sincerely thank everybody for their constructive suggestions to date.
Clearly you have an air leak into the system between the tank and the pump. It seems to be fairly small or you wouldn't be able to blow bubbles into the tank. Again, I would check the o-ring at the filter, tighten hose clamps throughout the system, etc. Or, as I suggested earlier, replace all the hoses, fittings, the strainer/filter, etc. If the system has been sitting for four years, growing mold, etc. maybe you don't want to be drawing your drinking water through it.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water