Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 06:06   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: How to get started

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Newbe.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:40   #17

Thanks for all the great insights. Since I am new to all this, I plan to take it slow and avoid costly mistakes. I have plenty of time to research and shop for boats. One question new question, how old a boat is too old. In other words, about what age do you start looking at expensive refits, etc. Thanks again for responding.
Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:47   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

If its a Hunter after 2 yrs its to old ...LOl...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 16:13   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe
Thanks for all the great insights. Since I am new to all this, I plan to take it slow and avoid costly mistakes. I have plenty of time to research and shop for boats. One question new question, how old a boat is too old. In other words, about what age do you start looking at expensive refits, etc. Thanks again for responding.
It will be different for different boats and how each boat was used. Considering a reasonably modern plastic boat.

I would say that at 7-10 years you are looking at some rigging work. Other maintenance items will likely start to increase, systems start to fail. At 15 years you can start to suspect engines, through hulls/seacocks and other more durable stuff.

There is a reason the charter companies rotaet them out at around 5 years.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 16:21   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe View Post
One question new question, how old a boat is too old. In other words, about what age do you start looking at expensive refits, etc. Thanks again for responding.
Broad answer (very broad!) is 5 years for a minor refit, 10 for a major - 20 years is probably a project!

But really depends on the previous owners (PO) and how much continuous good maintanence and upgrading was done.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 16:30   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
It will be different for different boats and how each boat was used. Considering a reasonably modern plastic boat.

I would say that at 7-10 years you are looking at some rigging work. Other maintenance items will likely start to increase, systems start to fail. At 15 years you can start to suspect engines, through hulls/seacocks and other more durable stuff.

There is a reason the charter companies rotaet them out at around 5 years.
ditto that,though marine,consumables,like toilets and pumps that has been in constant use on a 5 y/old charter boat will have been replaced at least twice in that period!!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 17:20   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Everyone is different, has different risk tolerances, different mechanical skills, and different ways of learning. If you like to work on boats or stuff in general then an older cheaper boat may be ok, if you don't, buy something newer, If you are the type to jump in head first, get as much advice and go for it. If not, start small then go bigger with experince. My first boat was an old 26 ft Columbia, sailed great, looked terrible, had lots of fun, worked on it alot, still had lots of fun, I like working on boats. My first lesson was on the boat, after I paid the guy, with a beginner instruction book on how to sail, I had never been on a sail boat pior to that in my life, and I made it after scaring the ba jesus out of me when I got cought in a squal that same day. I still had lots of fun and I have a good story to tell. Let your pocket book be your guide, if you have money you are lucky or smart, or both. You have options, if you are like most of us, not lucky or smart, then your options are more limited. The main thing is HAVE FUN, enjoy, don't go beyond your risk tolerances.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:52   #23

Boat: Hunter H37C, Hunter H23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Broad answer (very broad!) is 5 years for a minor refit, 10 for a major - 20 years is probably a project!

But really depends on the previous owners (PO) and how much continuous good maintanence and upgrading was done.

So after 21 years the boats should be like new?

Newbe,
Not sure if you have checked out this site: crabsailing.org but they are very active in the Annapolis area have have very good info on setting up boats for just about any hurdle you might think would stop you from making your deam a reality. Enjoy the new life

Mark
1980 Hunter 37C
markprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05   #24

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: How to Get Started

The best starting point for the original poster to get advice might be with an inventory of strengths, weaknesses, resources, and desires. What physical limitations remain from the accident? What do you want to get out of sailing and living aboard? What sports and physical activities have you enjoyed in the past? How much do you like crowds vs. solitude? How mechanically handy are you? How motivated and comfortable are you escaping from modern urban society and its comforts, lifestyle, and assumptions?

The one other point that maybe hasn't been fully explored is that getting a boat, especially a bigger one to live on, is somewhat like getting married -- it's a very personal match and a bit of a commitment. And people who are divorcing are sometimes advised not to jump into new relationships too quickly, so maybe some extra research, charters, crewing, etc., would be of great value.
Old 02-01-2012, 13:07   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprice View Post
So after 21 years the boats should be like new?
Lol! - odds on will be like a project .

There will be exceptions - mine will be like a 5 year old boat (a well cared for one)........but it missed it's first 20 year refit - I'm doing the second 20 year one .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote