Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2011, 09:07   #61

Re: How to Explain to a Woman what Liveaboard Means ?

Next time your in the shower with her - turn off the hot water - yell at her to pull that rope not the other...
If she makes you breakfast - she's a keeper...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 09:14   #62

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Next time your in the shower with her - turn off the hot water - yell at her to pull that rope not the other...
I like the thought.

BTW is that Sag Harbor, NY?
Old 13-08-2011, 09:46   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
BTW is that Sag Harbor, NY?
yes - NY
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:15   #64

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500
That's how I got into this mess to begin with.

I was VERY up front about it, she knew it and now I find that she thought she could "Fix" me.

I believe now that if I want a water angel, I need to be on the water. I will not get involved again until then.
That is always so disappointing. It seems you go on for a time becoming more attached and then they swap out the product that was on display.
They say at around 6-8 months into a relationship is when a persons true agenda and motives become more apparent. Trouble is, by then you've become fond of them and it's not really pleasant to have to move on. Live and learn.
Meeting a woman on the water might be the best option. She will certainly be upfront and honest about lifestyle choices, as she will have been putting her choices into action already. However, do not look exclusively to one place. Opportunity is always found by keeping your mind and eyes open.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:54   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota450 View Post
.........The problem is that she doesn't want to do anything. Watching Oprah re-runs, soap opera's and going to the gym for 2 hours 3 days a week like she does right now is going to take away all my drive if that's our chosen path. I love the woman deeply but this has really got me concerned.
She needs to hear the bolded part from you and you and her need to have an adult discussion about it. You sound like you have an otherwise solid relationship, so there must have been compromises in the past, right?

So what compromises can she make keeping YOUR new desires in mind (which, BTW, I fully understand and support). She will likely tell you, but I suspect you will need to scale down some of your desires.

As example, say you want a RTW, can the compromise be a 1 week charter in the Virgin Islands? Ease her into it? Rent a motorcycle for a weekend. Rent an RV for a week.

In other words, get her to compromise on your larger desires, and perhaps she will find that one of those activities she actually enjoys.

Just a thought.
Old 13-08-2011, 11:53   #66

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
That's how I got into this mess to begin with.

I was VERY up front about it, she knew it and now I find that she thought she could "Fix" me.

I believe now that if I want a water angel, I need to be on the water. I will not get involved again until then.
Don you can't fix what ain't broken and you ain't broken.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 11:58   #67

Boat: Leopard L38

Don,
Get your house along with anything else you don't want to bring aboard. Move your butt to the east coast find your boat and the chicks will magically appear!
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 12:33   #68

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

The thought of living in a condo in the suburbs of Wash DC for the rest of my life makes me depressed. It feels like a slow death to me.

Boy, no truer words ever spoken! My hubby and I were just pondering how so many people are content to live on land, and spend so much money to do so!
Follow your dreams, some of us were just wired differently, we need to be afloat ( period). There are lots of water women ( mermaids ) some are on land waiting for their captain to come along, some are already out there livin the dream afloat. I believe each sailor man has a mermaid( period )

Happy trails,
Erika
Old 13-08-2011, 14:38   #69

Boat: Irwin 40

Throw her over the side if she floats keep her if she......

Oh wait that was for witches......

Never mind :-)

Just kidding girls put the brooms down I will behave
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:38   #70

Boat: Celestial 48

While I think finding a "water angel" would be great, I don't think that is really what is required. I think more of a proven attitude of being an adventurer is what you should look towards. An adventurer can easily learn to sail, but it is very difficult for someone who restricts themselves to a small comfort zone to decide to set-sail over the horizon.

My new wife (8 months now ) has enjoyed a life doing many outdoor things (one example; she and a girl friend spent 3 months backpacking and river kayaking in Chile). Togther (before getting hitched) we have gone back packing, car camping, a week-long river raft trip, and a week bare-boat charter in BVI. She always enjoyed these trips, and many were her idea. She is now completely bought into our plan of selling the house, moving onto our new boat (10 months from now ), and going cruising long term. She has limited sailing experience, but I know that she will learn because its something she wants to do.

As a reminder, if you ask a new girlfriend "would you like to sail to exotic South Pacific islands" they are always going to say "yes, sounds great". What you need to really find out is if the cruising lifestyle somehow matches with how they have decided to live their life up to now.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:44   #71

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
While I think finding a "water angel" would be great, I don't think that is really what is required. I think more of a proven attitude of being an adventurer is what you should look towards. An adventurer can easily learn to sail, but it is very difficult for someone who restricts themselves to a small comfort zone to decide to set-sail over the horizon.

My new wife (8 months now ) has enjoyed a life doing many outdoor things (one example; she and a girl friend spent 3 months backpacking and river kayaking in Chile). Togther (before getting hitched) we have gone back packing, car camping, a week-long river raft trip, and a week bare-boat charter in BVI. She always enjoyed these trips, and many were her idea. She is now completely bought into our plan of selling the house, moving onto our new boat (10 months from now ), and going cruising long term. She has limited sailing experience, but I know that she will learn because its something she wants to do.

As a reminder, if you ask a new girlfriend "would you like to sail to exotic South Pacific islands" they are always going to say "yes, sounds great". What you need to really find out is if the cruising lifestyle somehow matches with how they have decided to live their life up to now.
AMEN Brother.........

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:46   #72

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
You got 2 'ropes'????

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 15:00   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Throw her over the side if she floats keep her if she......

Oh wait that was for witches......

Never mind :-)

Just kidding girls put the brooms down I will behave

ROFL.....

You're a bad man... but a good test

Old 13-08-2011, 15:04   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
My hubby and I were just pondering how so many people are content to live on land, and spend so much money to do so!
Follow your dreams, some of us were just wired differently, we need to be afloat ( period). There are lots of water women ( mermaids ) some are on land waiting for their captain to come along, some are already out there livin the dream afloat. I believe each sailor man has a mermaid( period )

Happy trails,
Erika
You're just lovin' being able to say that hey

Well deserved

Old 13-08-2011, 15:04   #75
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have noticed that you men look for the woman before looking for the boat. wtf, anyway. you then complain the woman you find doesnt appreciate the fact you are a sailor or wanna be a sailor, and then have a long bitch fest about not having a woman to join you on your dream journey even tho you dont even own a boat .

what is wrong with owning the boat first, seeing if you will work out on the sea BEFORE having the lady join you, or even meet a lady who is already sailing....your progression makes NO sense at all, whatsoever.

best of luck on your search and destroy mission.

iffn i had to live on land i would prolly burn the place to the ground and swim away
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard