Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 00:28   #1

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I have a 70' RV setup I am thinking of selling, so I can concentrate on sailing.

Many of you exited the highways, for the waterways?

My current sailboat already more than fills the lake I sail her on now, and my slip is maxed out at 32'. So the lake I am on now, she is well suited.

If I give up my RV for boating, I will drive out of Nebraska and never come back to bathtub sized lakes. Lol

How does one get the nuts to sell everything, cars, bikes, RV, business, and head to blue water?

Doubt my better half (she keeps telling me, at the top of her voice, she is better) would go along with a move to find bigger water, she dislikes sailing even on small lakes.

I love my current boat, but acknowledge she is not a blue water, circumnavigate the globe sailboat. She would be fine for coastal cruising, island hopping and exploring.

56 seems a bit old to test spread my wings, and say goodbye to a nest.

I really hate winter, with my sailboat sitting on the trailer in the yard.

In a few hours, with the trailer in tow, I could be in LA, or Corpus Christi, or the Keys, or Portland, or Chicago, or NYC, or any one of thousands of coastal towns.

It won't be any easier at 57, or 67.

At my age, I am too young to retire, but too old to start over.

Just the rantings of someone looking at snow forecasts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121126_021158.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	50290
Old 26-11-2012, 00:47   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: How Many Of You Went From RV to SB ?

A couple of comments about this, purely subjective, and for whatever (possibly little) they may be worth:

1. You are never too old to start over, if you still have a pulse.

2. We all like to pretend that sailing is a sport, like what Ben Ainsley does , but in fact, the way most of us use our boats, they are more like floating RV's. And not just catamarans

3. Sell that rig and you should be able to buy a pretty nice boat with the proceeds.

4. Hating winter is absolutely and totally all in your mind. I love winter. If you decide to stay where you are, then buy some good Goretex clothes, some Underarmor inner layers, good boots, and try to spend whole weekends outdoors without coming indoors before the sun goes down. Maybe buy a snowmobile. I live in a much colder place than you do, and I have learned to do as the natives do and adore and look forward to the winter time, which people who grew up in really cold climates consider the best time of the year.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 01:04   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Your comment about your better half's like and dislikes will be obstacle #1. Overcome that one and the rest is easy.
Old 26-11-2012, 01:34   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: How Many Of You Went From RV to SB ?

If your better half's not into it and you sell everything to go sailing,...well, as my mother always said "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" If she doesn't like lake sailing, the first time she gets into more than three foot seas I think you might be a bit disappointed. You might want to do a few charters with her first and see what it's like for her. Being in the Marine industry I see a lot of men your age spend a year or two buying a boat, outfitting her and taking off only to be back in a few months because the wife quickly had enough. Think long and hard before you chuck everything to go after this. It can be a very expensive mistake. No offense to our women members here, but this is surely and mostly a guy thing.
But that's a pretty nice 5th wheel. My wife and I are about your age and are doing the opposite. Our boat will soon be for sale and we will become CROWS.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote