Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 16:16   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: How many have sailed offshore

Myself I've only been about a hundred miles offshore. In the last 9 years I've about eight thousand miles under the keel, well over 75% of the time being single handed.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 16:48   #77

Boat: PETERSON 44

Yes I have done offshore passages. No idea of coastal miles inside of 35 miles. Kids have not done long offshore runs. But since they were 3 have done week long and multi week runs up the us east coast. They usually have done well but there are times when it's challenging. They tend to enjoy the places we find more then the finding the places. When the kids are here I make very different choices and added gear that I may not normally carry. Already said to much. For several years we sought to chart out playgrounds of the chesapeake. Then ice cream stands and now graphic novel stores ice cream wifi hot spots and swimming holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 17:10   #78

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

My wife and I have three children and started cruising with them when they were ages 4, 6 and 9, not because we felt that they were 'old enough' by then but that's just when the opportunity arose. We started out with a 3-week cruise from San Diego to the Channel Islands and the following year did a 3-month cruise from San Diego to the Sea of Cortez and back. The year after that we left San Diego and sailed to Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska and back to San Diego that took us a year.

In all of our cruising, my wife and I realized that we were taking risks with our family. It was understood between us that once offshore, we would be on our own and that the likelihood of getting assistance would be slim. Some in our family warned us not to go. Regardless, the lure of the sea was strong (and still is) and not only was our trip successful but it wound up helping to define my family. It developed a bond between us, this unique shared experience, that enable us to get to know each other in ways that non-cruising families are unlikely to do. After all, how many families never get more than 48 feet from each other for 23 days straight (Waikiki to Sitka)?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I recommend offshore cruising for everyone - that's absurd. However, for our family the risks we took paid off handsomely with memories that will last us for our lifetime.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 17:48   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Not sailing, but have taken many small fishing(40'to45') vessels past the 200 mile mark.
+1
Gulf of Mexico
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 18:00   #80

I don't know that is matters... I've done half a dozen or more passages round trip from LIS to Carribean and LIS to Brazil... Sailed several of those single handed and with one other person...

What's offshore? Deep water or distance from land?

Sailed through the Canaries and all the Eastern Caribbean and that's something like offshore. Total miles...more than 20,000 miles for sure off shore.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 18:04   #81

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
never sailed in anyting over 8 miles
Uh huh. I would guess you are in the top 2% here on CF for miles under the keel.

As for me, I'm probably in the bottom 10%, only sailing from Long Beach to Sea of Cortez. But on vessels from 30,000 to 100,000 tons I'm right up there with atoll.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 18:58   #82
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
never sailed in anyting over 8 miles
We're talking vertical, right?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:32   #83

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
We're talking vertical, right?

Dah yes.
I've got what I was looking for thanks everyone.

It seems to parallel apprenticeship in trades you used to have many of them learning from the experienced. Now well now ........ Full in the rest for yourselves

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:45   #84

Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

I have a question about the needed experience prior to heading offshore. For the experts, how much experience would you recommend an individual have prior to making an open ocean trip? I realize that a lot depends on the person, but what type of sailing experience would you recommend (coastal, overnight experience, book knowledge, and short trips)? Also, how long does it normally take to properly prepare your vessel for this type of trip? By the way, I’m completely new to this.
Rsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:48   #85

Boat: Skookum 53'

Every individual is different. So the short answer is depends.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:46   #86

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

By the time I am a real sailor I'll be wearing them.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:56   #87

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Not me either. Sailed up the West coast but only stayed about 20 miles out. Going to get out this summer for some sea trials to get ready for our Pacific crossing.

Even though there is many opinions in this forum, for me it is one of my most valuable resources. all you guys are great!
Old 08-04-2014, 13:06   #88

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmith3 View Post
I have a question about the needed experience prior to heading offshore. For the experts, how much experience would you recommend an individual have prior to making an open ocean trip? I realize that a lot depends on the person, but what type of sailing experience would you recommend (coastal, overnight experience, book knowledge, and short trips)? Also, how long does it normally take to properly prepare your vessel for this type of trip? By the way, I’m completely new to this.

Use this forum to ask questions about anything you are unsure of. There are many good sailors here that will be glad to give you good advice.

Practice sailing short trips, and gradually get into some rough sea to get knocked around a bit but still be close enough for help if needed.

Take an experienced sailor out with you and allow him/her to show you anything you can get from them.

Get some good books like Hal Roth "How to Sail around the World" for starters. By the time I was 12 yrs old, I had a whole library of these type of books, so when I started sailing in my teens, at least I knew which line was what.

But in the end, it is up to you on whether or not you believe you are ready, although preparation is key to survival.

Rob L
Old 08-04-2014, 13:24   #89
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightonyachts View Post
Get some good books like Hal Roth "How to Sail around the World" for starters. Rob L
This book is about 40 years out of date and pretty much worthless for modern day boats and sailing. I have it if you want it - free. Just pay for shipping, but it's not worth it.
Old 08-04-2014, 13:31   #90

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmith3 View Post
I personally recommend having made at least five offshore trips before setting out on your first one.

That being fairly difficult, I guess that the above answer ("it depends") is about as accurate as you are going to get. For most of us, we just "knew" when it was time for each increment of difficulty in our sailing plans. We didn't have the so called advantage of internet advice then, so we just went by our instincts... and survived.

Don't over think this issue!

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
offshore, sail