Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 10:10   #61

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: How many have sailed offshore

When someone has posted their opinion, the IMO is a given. It is redundant to post IMO.
The purpose of this thread is as Newt so aptly put it "a measuring contest.". Been underway almost constantly since 1969, and yes a shellback several times over. It is not just my profession, it is my passion, I am of the sea. It is my wish to die at sea, not strapped to some hospital bed with tubes in my arms.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:21   #62

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Ok I've been reading quite a few threads and now one in particular causes my curiosity to peak. Comments on Rebel Heart.
Some people make comments and to me it seems they have never left the dock. Then I got thinking, if they have left the dock there would be many more people out here.. And there are not that many..
So I'm wondering how many have sailed past the 200 mile mark

This was the original post. The statement seems fairly clear.

I lurked here for quite a while before making my first post. It has been an excellent source of information and inspiration.

Listening much more than I speak is more in line with my creed.

The need to dominate conversations is as much a part some personalities as finding fault in others.

Hubris sends a man to a potentially violent sea in small boat. Why act surprised when he pounds his chest?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:33   #63

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I've made several gulf crossings (of mexico) and a west coast hop........There is still more unusual stuff the sea can throw out that I nor anyone else can prepare for.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:39   #64

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416

3 offshore passages over 200 nm from shore (NC to San Salvador, Bahamas, 2 GOMEX crossings westbound), all in our Morgan 41. A couple more coastwise but pretty far out (60NM+).
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:14   #65

Boat: Toy boat

I was just out shaping another surfboard and dropped a sandbag on my foot. Thought would grab some lunch and peruse the old CF while the pain subsided.
Never fails to make me laugh. CF I mean.
I have more NM's in the water than on top though I am catching up with lots of shakedown sails the last month. Out to the 220 mark and back here on the Central Oregon Coast four times in the last 6 weeks.
This gives me around 15k NM's open ocean but that number really doesn't matter.

Water is water, coastal is more dangerous than offshore, I think we can all agree on that.

I think the most important thing to have aboard is ingenuity. If it breaks and you need it to float/steer/sail and you can't fix it, there you are.
Experience might get you some where but without the ability to affect repairs while at sea, the water will not care if its your first trip or last.
I keep my boat very simple for that reason.

Carry on, make good choices.
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:35   #66

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

If you are able to communicate, it may take a day or two to be rescued. The open ocean is usually safer than a lee shore.

Our January 2003 (MS Statendam) mid-Pacific rescue, requiring a 600-mile diversion, of three sailors abandoning their boat:

Old 07-04-2014, 12:55   #67

I think cruising is cruising. If you want to round the globe in the process, all the better for you. If like staying in the Carribean, so be it. I have seen couples spend years preparing for their dream of circumnavigating working on the boat etc and not sailing enough locally. Then they head down the West Coast and step off the boat forever in San diego. Not for them. While in Mexico I was thinking of going to New Zealand via the milk run. I slowed myself down and took a close look at the distances and charts one more time. Frankly, it's a LOT of sea time. 3 weeks to the Tuomotus, 1 week to the next, 5 days sea time here, one week there... you get the picture. Not what everyone wants, dont let the fact that some people do it and write books tempt you. We like being places, meeting people, fishing, snorkleing, tasting the food and culture. We decided we didnt want that sea time, not what we were out there for. Havent regretted it since. I hope we get to find out what caused Rebel Heart's turnaround in detail. They seemed well prepared and thought out, not like someone who had just let go of the dock lines. There may be more going on than we see.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 13:19   #68

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
In what way?

I have ocean voyaged.

I have young children

I realized earlier on the two do not mix for most people especially on yachts too small to carry at least one extra crew member.

That's the point I'm trying to make. Regardless of all the "experience of the skipper" (hopping down the coast from San Diego?) the responsible thing to do would have been to he'd further south and hop off for the Galapagos. When things went to **** on day 3 or so it would be easy enough to swing back for Central America or mainland Equador.

You see, I've been there seen my wife struggle seen others wife's and families struggle. Seen all the boats listed and sold when arrived in New Zealand. Wifes pissed husbands heart broken, etc, ect

Anyway, that's my story. Better to wait a few year sell that boat prior to departing the Caribbean. Make a few bucks on some real estate deals and go when the kids are ready.

I tried to warn him.....
It sounds like you tried to warn him about the challenges of caring for young children while cruising, and the stresses that it can put on you and your partner. That has nothing to do with what happened to them. People have been pointing to Charlotte's blog and saying she was unhappy and angry, but that's an extremely one-sided interpretation of her words. She was also exhilarated and awestruck.

There are aspects of long passages offshore that people who have never done it don't expect, and it needs adaptation. For example, the never-ending movement of the boat, dealing with days and days of strong winds, the new rhythms that you need to find for days and nights. It usually takes about a week for people to "get it" and settle into a space where they start to feel comfortable with it if they have never done it before. Until then, it can be frustrating and unnerving, and also a bit boring...a bit disorienting, psychologically and physically. From Charlotte and Eric's posts they seemed to be in that phase.

But they were also adapting, from what I read. You don't adapt if you're not adaptive. They struck me as adaptive people. Yeah, I'm sure a lot of couples throw in the towel when they get to Fuji, but many of them don't, and there is really no way to tell how it's going to work for you before you try. Doing a few more overnight passages would not have helped Eric and Charlotte at all. A multi-week passage is a categorically different animal in terms of the experience and it's challenges and rewards.

As far as you throwing in that you think they should have headed to the Galapagos, that's just gratuitous armchair advice. You don't have the slightest clue why they made the decisions that they did, and until that information comes forward, suggesting they should have done something else is foolish.

I've been sailing offshore for 30 years by the way, and have met far more healthy happy children along the way than those I felt sorry for. As for safety, I think children are safer at sea than they are crossing the street running after a ball in some leafy suburban cul-de-sac.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 13:30   #69
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Hubris sends a man to a potentially violent sea in small boat. Why act surprised when he pounds his chest?
Great quote. Did you come up with it yourself?
Old 07-04-2014, 13:37   #70

Quote:

Hubris might cause someone to (wrongly) think he knows what motivates everyone else.....

For us, the passage is usually the means, the destination is the end. A boat gets us to places most others can't go.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 13:47   #71

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Great quote. Did you come up with it yourself?

At my age it is hard to tell. It seemed to be, but I won't swear to it.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:52   #72
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
At my age it is hard to tell. It seemed to be, but I won't swear to it.
I have the same problem and am not that old Keep on keeping on.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:53   #73

Boat: Skookum 53'

I have worked the GOM several years and it can be a nasty little stretch of water.
Old 07-04-2014, 15:52   #74

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

The reason I ask, is I found that those who haven't cruised or sailed off shore are ignorant to what it is like and should not criticize those who do. Please read the word ignorant as one that doesn't know

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 16:08   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
The reason I ask, is I found that those who haven't cruised or sailed off shore are ignorant to what it is like and should not criticize those who do. Please read the word ignorant as one that doesn't know
Well... that's a tough question. I believe an educated asessment can be made about most things without actually doing them. For instance, I have criticised some bank robbers as boneheads, but have never been one. OTOH, Someone who says " I would never have a gas engine, they explode", read something, but didnt educate themselves.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore, sail