Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 05:35   #91

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: How long does it take to complete one circumnavigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
interesting...

however i feel that defining a motorsailor is a lot more complicated than just range. for example our catamaran has a range of over 1000 miles under motor and will do 10kts when we want to...but it's definitely NOT a motorsailor

there was another thread about this recently which it might be worth referring to

cheers,
Yep, larger cats can lope along quite nicely at 8-10 knots under power or sail. They could easily match Kasemier's 7 knot average. Add some well secured fuel bladders for longer legs or routes w poor wind.

Lots of good older used cats available on the market these days.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 05:44   #92

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yep, larger cats can lope along quite nicely at 8-10 knots under power or sail. They could easily match Kasemier's 7 knot average. Add some well secured fuel bladders for longer legs or routes w poor wind.

Lots of good older used cats available on the market these days.
I don't know, if you want to turn a seaworthy Cat into a dangerous offshore Cat, add tons of weight.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 05:54   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I don't know, if you want to turn a seaworthy Cat into a dangerous offshore Cat, add tons of weight.
Carefully positioned of course!

Diesel weighs ~7lbs/gallon. Most small boat engines burn 1-2gph at modest cruising RPM so you can add relatively a lot of range without adding a dangerous amount of weight.
Old 28-06-2021, 06:11   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Tons? One ton total (not additional to normal tankage) of diesel is good for well over 2000NM.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 07:08   #95

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
I have just read about Eilco Kasemier's boat Bylgia II, just shy of 40 feet is the smallest powerboat to have completed a circumnavigation at under 7 months.
I think he stopped only in between for fueling and provisions.

I wondered for those who have circumnavigated, how long does it take for you to complete a circumnavigation?
Bylgia II was not the smallest powered circumnavigator, Half-Safe was only 15'2". Admittedly is was a lot slower, but the trip was more interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GPA

https://issuu.com/k-c-mediaworks/doc...navigator01/52
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 07:30   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Tons? One ton total (not additional to normal tankage) of diesel is good for well over 2000NM.
A tonne = 1000kg = 1200 liters of diesel = 317 gallons.
My experience is that the most efficient trawler above 12 tonnes would achieve somewhere around 4 MPG, at sea I would gather it is around 3-3.5 MPG which makes around 300 gallons safe for more than 1,000 miles but not 2,000.
I don't know a lot about catamarans, but I understand that they couldn't carry a lot of weight, assuming they are much more efficient, how large a cat in terms of length or displacement to be able to carry at least 200 gallons of diesel?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 07:56   #97

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

OK, I still don't have any idea why you want to do this, but here is a fast vessel with rig and keel to dampen rolling and waterline length to make 10ks of speed.

Add FUEL CAPACITY and go.

MacGregor 65, several available in a moderate range of prices, some with pilot house, and if you want to sail, 20kts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Macgregor 65.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	241188  
Old 28-06-2021, 07:58   #98

Boat: Lavranos H34

It depends on how fast you go.
st0nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 08:56   #99

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Carefully positioned of course!

Diesel weighs ~7lbs/gallon. Most small boat engines burn 1-2gph at modest cruising RPM so you can add relatively a lot of range without adding a dangerous amount of weight.
So adding 600 miles range adds close to 1,200lbs with your numbers. A cruising boat doing a circumnavigation is already loaded down with extras.
I saw a sportfisher style powerboat pull out of here the other day. He had 9 square portable tanks tied to the deck, each with near 500liters. That's close to 4 tons of extra weight. They were doing Seychelles to Oman.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 09:04   #100

Boat: Outremer 51

Started in Greece in 2019, spent 6 months in the Caribbean in 2020, wasted a year on Covid and we restart in September 2021. We expect to be finished in summer 2024 for a total of 5yrs
Rimica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 09:30   #101

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If the OP wants to add range without increasing weight, slow down.
Decreasing speed by 30% from hull speed will probably double your range.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 10:03   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
OK, I still don't have any idea why you want to do this, but here is a fast vessel with rig and keel to dampen rolling and waterline length to make 10ks of speed.

MacGregor 65, several available in a moderate range of prices, some with pilot house, and if you want to sail, 20kts.
****! Have you ever been on an M65? Feels like its built out of thin plastic! Super flexi. I would get nervous more than a mile from shore!
Old 28-06-2021, 10:31   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
If the OP wants to add range without increasing weight, slow down.
Decreasing speed by 30% from hull speed will probably double your range.
Yeah, but he also wants to go quickly. So he needs the range to at least match Kasemier's record while averaging 7 knots.
Old 28-06-2021, 10:48   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

I think you need to sail them with crew, actually there is one 70+ footer that is designed to be shorthanded available for sale in my neighboring country, just that it is too long a boat to keep.
Quote:
Yeah, but he also wants to go quickly. So he needs the range to at least match Kasemier's record while averaging 7 knots.
Not exactly, but I want to go anytime, pushing on even when there is no wind, rather than bad weather other peoples here are thinking about.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 10:50   #105

Quote:
So adding 600 miles range adds close to 1,200lbs with your numbers. A cruising boat doing a circumnavigation is already loaded down with extras.

I saw a sportfisher style powerboat pull out of here the other day. He had 9 square portable tanks tied to the deck, each with near 500liters. That's close to 4 tons of extra weight. They were doing Seychelles to Oman.
I was thinking more along the lines of just adding some reserve. Countless times, due to circumstances, Ive cut it closer than I'd like on that last leg to landfall. Even a few jerry jugs makes a difference with a miserly engine.

For example, if you wanted to keep added weight at no more than 500lbs, then thats ~70 gallons of fuel. If the boat can make 7 knots at no more than 2gph then thats an extra 245 miles. That's not much if you want to cross an ocean under power, but it makes a difference if you are just trying to get across some calms to get back into wind, or if that last leg to landfall is calm.

Its also a judgement call. If I had a high degree of confidence that the initial leg of a crossing was going to be calm-ish before getting into wind then I might push the fuel load up a bit, motor like hell on the first leg, and burn off some fuel load before getting into wind.

This would give some more flexibility in route planning and help cut crossing times somewhat. For example cut across the edge of that High Pressure, and associated calms, rather than sail all the way around it.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation