Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2011, 20:52   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: How Do You Organize Your To-Do Lists ?

I HATE SAILING.
Every time I take'r out I came back with another list. The object is to stick to the priorities and the hidden problems that may arise during projects (the can-o-worms syndrome).

Try just doing one item on the list at a time unless it involves waiting for parts/materials, then start on the next priority. Then go back to the first when stuff arrives.

Sometimes one has to do several items at a time due to their location. One has to do a second/third project in order to finish the first because of access to the second/third.

I just finished up sealing/glassing over a hull/deck joint and it kept me out of the water for a whole year. Ended up painting the whole boat and adding a major piece of deck gear, and i'm still not finished. But was able to get it in the water, once for a couple weeks this year.

Try not to overwhelm yourself, do the safety/structural stuff first and save the electronics for last. They upgrade every year.
Old 22-09-2011, 21:31   #17

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35

Well, with all of the great suggestions, I have my new plan in place.

In general, I have broken it down to 3 catagories (boat, provisions, logistics) each has multiple subcatagories. I moved my old excell list to a word program and each subcatagory will automatically print on a seperate page. The individual to-do items are then listed in order of importance so I just need to concentrate on the first few items of each page. I have placed the list in a small binder with pocket folders so that I can keep reviews, printouts, drawings and whatevers with the appropriate list.

After I got all of my projects, purchases, and dilemmas catogorized and prioritized, I made a chart with the months untill we leave across the top and the subcatagories down the side. I then filled in when each catagory needs to be completed. Having this visual is really great! I was able to take into account things that I wanted done before the next shake down cruise, haulout, and even took weather into account. (my colorful version of a "critical path plan"- I love it)

In writing this sounds incredibly complicated, but really it is just two documents that I have saved on the computer, can access and update from my Itouch (my version of 3x5's), and print a working copy from.

Zeehag, I know I probably just made your head spin-sorry. I gotta have my list!

Now, I've just got to get back to completing my projects!!!
Old 22-09-2011, 22:31   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Our log functions as a to-do list. If maintenance is required, we log it as soon as the need becomes apparent. When maintenance or improvements are finished, this is logged as well.

This way, we can always check back to answer such questions as, "When was the last time we serviced the packing gland?" "How old are the current joker valves?" "What were the engine hours the last time we changed impellers?"