Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2015, 08:32   #1

Hi, there. Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I've taken several sailing courses. But living 250 miles from the ocean and getting three kids fed, clothed, and educated has kept me from really sailing on a regular basis--usually no more than a couple of times a year.

But I've managed to brainwash my wife into actually doing this in about six years (When the last child is hopefully clutching his diploma), so now is the time to start planning.

We'll be going to the boat show">Annapolis Boat show in late April (My wife's idea. Is she great or what?). We went for a day back in 2000, but were a little overwhelmed. This time, we'll be back four four entire days to learn as much as we can.

So here's my question. How do we get the most out of the ABS? And how do we do this to get my wife as enthusiastic as me?
cpg35223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 08:42   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Hi, there. Long-time listener, first-time caller.

Instead of spending the bucks for four days in Annapolis, consider buying a small day sailor to use on any nearby lakes. If you have kids with 6 years left of school, they are young enough to perhaps also get the bug and acquire an interest before they know everything - and you start a family activity. Any time you spend sailing on small boats is directly transferable to larger boats.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 08:49   #3

Thanks for that, but we'll be doing both. A small boat purchase is actually in the works for this summer. My wife wants the opportunity to talk to those who have done it first-hand, even taking a class or two. That's just how she rolls.
Old 22-02-2015, 08:59   #4

Annapolis is fun. If possible I would stay as close to the show as possible.... even if extra $. That way you can come and go at your leisure. .....You may want to go down and spend time in t he equipment booths and she may want to rest etc..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 09:04   #5

Boat: Oyster 53

I would also suggest, if you haven't already, joining the Seven Seas Cruising Association. The SSCA is a large and friendly organization full of like-minded folks who are cruisers. They publish a monthly "Bulletin" with stories, experiences, etc. from members who are cruising around the world.

For fifty bucks a year it is good value for the money. They will most likely also have a booth at the ABS so worth going over and introducing yourselves.

Have fun.

Dhillen
Old 22-02-2015, 09:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I think the boat show would be a great investment. You get to see lots of boats, different designs, layouts and interiors. Just don't forget that what looks good at the dock may not work as well at sea or cruising. But still can give you lots of ideas.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 10:31   #7

You do know, right, that the spring show is not as big as the October show? This is the 4th year they've done it whereas the Oct show has been going on since the Coolidge administration, I think.

I see they are advertising a Cruiser's University which may be exactly what you need: Cruisers University | Annapolis Boat Shows

Dave
Old 22-02-2015, 14:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
You do know, right, that the spring show is not as big as the October show? This is the 4th year they've done it whereas the Oct show has been going on since the Coolidge administration, I think.

I see they are advertising a Cruiser's University which may be exactly what you need: Cruisers University | Annapolis Boat Shows

Dave
Thanks, Dave.

Call it half boat show, half anniversary trip. Annapolis is a pretty cool town to knock around in for anniversary, true? Plus it's proved next to impossible to get away during the fall for the big show.
Old 22-02-2015, 14:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Call it half boat show, half anniversary trip. Annapolis is a pretty cool town to knock around in for anniversary, true? Plus it's proved next to impossible to get away during the fall for the big show.
Very true. And odds are the April weather will be better than October. I've been going to the Oct show since the Carter administration but haven't been to the April show at all since we're usually still cruising then. So maybe we should meet up and have a Painkiller.........

Dave
Old 23-02-2015, 08:00   #10

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

A small boat purchase is actually in the works for this summer..........

for my money
1) a small dink (dinghy) or small cat, with main and jib, one small enough to turn over, learn how to right it without getting wet, sail backwards, tack, jibe etc. Maybe 14 feet for the two of you and cheap enough so when the "kids"
break it you won't be mad:-)

2) VERY COMFORTABLE life-jackets for all of you.

3) If you like working with your hands build one ... lots of great designs for free.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 08:42   #11

Boat: O'Day DaySailer 16

Sounds like a fun time! Enjoy the journey, glad you got the wife to go along with your plans. Nothing will put smoke to a dream quicker than a spouses, "No and that's final, end of discussion, I won't hear of it anymore or I'm calling the lawyer!"

I picked up a 16' day sailer this fall so I can learn to sail this summer. I've got 10 years until I can retire, after all the books I've read about sailing over winter I feel I'll need all 10 years to get prepared to go cruising. So much to learn!
mlucasparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 09:29   #12

Boat: TPI, Manta Clipper, 34' DeFever CPMY 49

Another good way to get into sailing/cruising is to take a cruising course with one or several of the sailing schools that are available most anywhere you want to go, when you want to go. FL in spring and fall, MD in summer/fall, Carribean in winter.
Signed former, but always teaching, sailing school instructer/manager.
Captain Bill 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 14:00   #13

Boat: Beneteau 48

We have not missed the fall show in about 15 years, but we have never been to the spring show. I am sure you will have a good time, Annapolis is a great place to visit. I agree with the previous comment that you should try to stay as close to downtown as possible. Take your wife to Carrol's Creek Restaurant and I hope you two have a great time.
joefults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 14:35   #14

I think a boat show is a good place to gather a lot of information about boating in a short time.

I'm 57 and the first time I drove a motor boat by myself with no one else in it was at 6 years old (that would probably get you locked up now, but that was done back then) and the first time I sailed solo was at 14, and I still learn something new every time I go to a boat show.
Old 23-02-2015, 14:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I'm 57 and the first time I drove a motor boat by myself with no one else in it was at 6 years old (that would probably get you locked up now, but that was done back then) and the first time I sailed solo was at 14....
Why did you start so old?

Dave

Tags
cal