Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 09:24   #1

Boat: Cal 34
Hi all, First Post. What boat should I get?

So a little bit about me. I am 44. Father of a 15 year old. Divorced, seven years, never getting married again. The years since my divorce have been good to me. In that time, I have acquired two largish buildings from my poop hole of a city, and refurbished them into cool residential apartments down town. Based on a simple 1% evaluation of their value(the price at which the bank would buy them), I have about 3 million dollars now, and no real debt.

It is time for something different. I don't know if I am older, or if the world has changed, but the idea of a new business venture... Well I just don't think I would succeed again at this point in my life. I know that people who retire and become inactive die young. I am not ready to do that.

Ive read the blogs, and the books, watched the youtube videos. I sailed when I was much younger, loved it. I fish with my cousin on the weekend, and love it. I have become a tradesman over the last decade. This looks like a blue water cruising seems like a totally absurd direction to take my life, lets go for it.

My other third act plan is to move south and become a farmer... Nah, that looks boring to me.

Right now I am fixated on the Beneteau Oceanis 60. Although I want to take up scuba, and a heavier boat might suit me better. But I really am enamored with the Beneteau marketing literature. I can really easily see myself entertaining folks on that boat. But it has that garage for that tiny little inflatable dinghy. I think if I am into Fishing, spear fishing, and scuba, I want a more capable dinghy... Also the Beneteau doesn't seem to have a literal mechanical room, and seems a little short on lockers.

My big fear... Getting out there and being unable to "make the magic happen"

My budget is something like this...

800k for the boat.
800k for maintenance on the boat over the next 10 years.
400k for a cruising fund for the next 10 years.
1,000k left in bonds to pay for my reentry when cruising ends.

So I have some questions... Is this plan realistic? What boats might I look at that would be more suited for my cruising agenda? What in the heck am I going to do with that garage if I decide to get a bigger dinghy and store in on that fore deck when I am in passage? Where am I going to store scuba gear? In anyone familiar with the deck layout of the Beneteau, where would I install the Scuba compressor. Should I sell the apartments? Is it realistically possible to manage apartments while I am island hopping in the Philippines?

Anyhow, thoughts, questions, input are welcome.
MidlifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:30   #2

Boat: Tartan 3000
Re: Hi all, First Post. What boat should I get?

That seems like a fairly bold plan.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:11   #3

Don't know if 'the magic happens' when starting with such a big boat.

Why not buy a smaller one, e.g. up to 35 feet max at first and try out for one or two years before deciding. Do you know Europe? If not why not discover some nice areas here while 'trying out'? France, Algarve, Gibraltar, Sicily, Venice, Greece etc.

Why not a cat, btw?

(Myself I'm not so much interested in cats (from an aethetically point of view) but If I had the money and if I would likely live for such a long time 'on the sea' and thinking what person you might be, why not a cat?? Otherwise, why not a Boréal or a Sirius? With a Boréal I'd go to Ushuaia!

What would me (you) drive to the Philippines (or Caribian) Marina where one might get shot and always has to take care of ones belongings)? Iik. Must the scuba gear be on bord? Why not visit scuba dive schools where one has company?

Why not arrange for someone to manage the appartments such that the mind is free?

All the best, i.e. wish you an adventurous future !
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:49   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'd say whoa pardner. Let the money sit in the investments a while longer and go out and spend $2000 on 2 Lasers or 2 Hobie Cats and take them out sailing everyday WITH YOUR 15 year-old! Now of course I don't know you, but I think I might hear racing in your future. I am betting you are fairly competitive... maybe the magic that will happen for you will be in the realm of racing and then maybe boat design... you are still plenty young enough for that to be a chapter 2. There is a lot of fun to be had in racing, but it is a very different mindset. I am not saying better or worse, and you can certainly do both, I am just saying the escape you have in mind may end up more of a running TO something, rather than from something, and that is a good thing IMO. AND imagine the fun and adventure you will be sharing with your child! I just think if I had that much cash I would use it to further a new life of adventure on the sea, not for a boat. That may sound paradoxical. But to my mind you can buy an absolutely amazing boat for MUCH, much less than what you are talking about, so why are you looking to blow all your money on a boat, especially given your current level of experience? IT is not the boat. Go at this as if you had NO money. If it were me I'd be sailing everyday on a fun fast boat, racing my child (after school), meeting other sailing folks and families, looking for boats that my child and I can crew on, strike up conversations with the local old salts... I'd be taking scuba classes with my child now, and if I liked it, I'd be going for my open water certification. The magic is not in buying the big expensive boat, and it is not happening out there. It happens when you get the urge, catch the germ and then catch the dream. After doing all these things, you may still be enamored with an Oceanis 60, but I bet not. You may decide to use your money to buy a dive shop on some Micronesian island, you might decide you want to crew on an America's Cup boat, perhaps you and your child get so fired up about sailing, AND the open sea, you decide to do a circumnavigation... it is a new life, new adventure, you are longing for, not a boat.
Just my take on things.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 13:39   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Good budget and good size to 'make the magic happen'. Also look at catamarans in a similar price range. I quite like the Leopards with the front door.

The 'magic' is really about you. Make a plan of what is exotic to you then make that plan happen by goal setting just like you have done in business.

Fun, magic, life, adventure etc etc can almost be manufactured: go where its exciting, get off your bum and get into that excitement.

The 15 year old will only be aboard till 18. So plan for making YOUR life magic

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 13:42   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Carnival yesterday in St Maarten.
It was MAGIC!!!

So one wonders why not all cruisers bothered to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1462221681943.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	123586  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 13:49   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good day, midlife crisis,

Take a look at the thread here on CF: Bestevaer 49, by "noelex" & Seaworthy Lass". It is about a top class vessel, being built now, in Holland, and is one example of a lot higher class boat than the Bene 60, imo.

It will demand a higher price range from you, but would be a lot more boat!

Ann
Old 02-05-2016, 14:27   #8
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis View Post
So a little bit about me. I am 44. Father of a 15 year old. Divorced, seven years, never getting married again. The years since my divorce have been good to me. In that time, I have acquired two largish buildings from my poop hole of a city, and refurbished them into cool residential apartments down town. Based on a simple 1% evaluation of their value(the price at which the bank would buy them), I have about 3 million dollars now, and no real debt.

It is time for something different. I don't know if I am older, or if the world has changed, but the idea of a new business venture... Well I just don't think I would succeed again at this point in my life. I know that people who retire and become inactive die young. I am not ready to do that.

Ive read the blogs, and the books, watched the youtube videos. I sailed when I was much younger, loved it. I fish with my cousin on the weekend, and love it. I have become a tradesman over the last decade. This looks like a blue water cruising seems like a totally absurd direction to take my life, lets go for it.

My other third act plan is to move south and become a farmer... Nah, that looks boring to me.

Right now I am fixated on the Beneteau Oceanis 60. Although I want to take up scuba, and a heavier boat might suit me better. But I really am enamored with the Beneteau marketing literature. I can really easily see myself entertaining folks on that boat. But it has that garage for that tiny little inflatable dinghy. I think if I am into Fishing, spear fishing, and scuba, I want a more capable dinghy... Also the Beneteau doesn't seem to have a literal mechanical room, and seems a little short on lockers.

My big fear... Getting out there and being unable to "make the magic happen"

My budget is something like this...

800k for the boat.
800k for maintenance on the boat over the next 10 years.
400k for a cruising fund for the next 10 years.
1,000k left in bonds to pay for my reentry when cruising ends.

So I have some questions... Is this plan realistic? What boats might I look at that would be more suited for my cruising agenda? What in the heck am I going to do with that garage if I decide to get a bigger dinghy and store in on that fore deck when I am in passage? Where am I going to store scuba gear? In anyone familiar with the deck layout of the Beneteau, where would I install the Scuba compressor. Should I sell the apartments? Is it realistically possible to manage apartments while I am island hopping in the Philippines?

Anyhow, thoughts, questions, input are welcome.
MidlifeCrisis,
In my own opinion and according to a French proverb "How to Make a small fortune in boats ? Start with a large !" I agree with Blu3534 who well said "Why not buy a smaller one, e.g. up to 35 feet max at first and try out for one or two years before deciding".

Best wishes, welcome aboard !
Old 03-05-2016, 04:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Good day, midlife crisis,

Take a look at the thread here on CF: Bestevaer 49, by "noelex" & Seaworthy Lass". It is about a top class vessel, being built now, in Holland, and is one example of a lot higher class boat than the Bene 60, imo.

It will demand a higher price range from you, but would be a lot more boat!

Ann
Oh wow, this is a whole different class of vehicle right there. I think for what I am trying to accomplish that centerline cockpit in the dodger looks really nice.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
It was MAGIC!!!

Mark... Your tan has gotten a little dark being "stuck" down there...

Thanks for sharing!
And yes... one does wonder why...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I'd say whoa pardner. Let the money sit in the investments a while longer and go out and spend $2000 on 2 Lasers or 2 Hobie Cats and take them out sailing everyday WITH YOUR 15 year-old! Now of course I don't know you, but I think I might hear racing in your future. I am betting you are fairly competitive... maybe the magic that will happen for you will be in the realm of racing and then maybe boat design... you are still plenty young enough for that to be a chapter 2. There is a lot of fun to be had in racing, but it is a very different mindset. I am not saying better or worse, and you can certainly do both, I am just saying the escape you have in mind may end up more of a running TO something, rather than from something, and that is a good thing IMO. AND imagine the fun and adventure you will be sharing with your child! I just think if I had that much cash I would use it to further a new life of adventure on the sea, not for a boat. That may sound paradoxical. But to my mind you can buy an absolutely amazing boat for MUCH, much less than what you are talking about, so why are you looking to blow all your money on a boat, especially given your current level of experience? IT is not the boat. Go at this as if you had NO money. If it were me I'd be sailing everyday on a fun fast boat, racing my child (after school), meeting other sailing folks and families, looking for boats that my child and I can crew on, strike up conversations with the local old salts... I'd be taking scuba classes with my child now, and if I liked it, I'd be going for my open water certification. The magic is not in buying the big expensive boat, and it is not happening out there. It happens when you get the urge, catch the germ and then catch the dream. After doing all these things, you may still be enamored with an Oceanis 60, but I bet not. You may decide to use your money to buy a dive shop on some Micronesian island, you might decide you want to crew on an America's Cup boat, perhaps you and your child get so fired up about sailing, AND the open sea, you decide to do a circumnavigation... it is a new life, new adventure, you are longing for, not a boat.
Just my take on things.
This gives me a lot to think about. I am looking for the adventure, not the boat. I don't think I am looking for racing, but you never know. I do know I have always like living near the water. I also know that after 38 years of living in the same god forsaken city, it is time (well I have a year and a half left here) that it is time for a new location.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:16   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hi all, First Post. What boat should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
It was MAGIC!!!

That's new... must have started since the new Cruise ship terminal was completed

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:21   #13

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Welcome to the forum, Midlife.

It sound like perhaps a boat is just a vector to support your yearning for adventure.

Your stated budget will support a decent boat for travel that would retain its value should you decide that lifestyle doesn't suit you.

Having had 5 cruising vessels over 4 decades, I can say first hand each is a compromise in the moment; meaning what was a compromise 10 years ago might be preferred now, and visa versa...

Therefore I might look at your future boat from a value perspective and buy something after you have chartered/crewed on a few different boats similar to something you might consider living on.

Since you have found your aesthetic with the Beneteau, I highly recommend exploring other similar vessels. I assure you that you will find many others to become enamored of.

I say this because your budget will allow you to explore vessels that will hold a decently high value over time, and perhaps even better suit your needs as you become familiar with the attributes you truly desire in a live aboard cruiser. [e.g., Compare your current amor with a comparably sized Boréal to better understand my gist...]

Along with the considered recommendations from others in this discussion, I will also recommend you look into the well qualified, in-depth treatise on this topic on Attainable Adventure Cruising. [Modest membership fee required, and considered well worth it to many of us on this forum...]

Best wishes on your journey. Many of us have been there, and it is ongoing...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 03-05-2016, 11:41   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis View Post
This gives me a lot to think about. I am looking for the adventure, not the boat. I don't think I am looking for racing, but you never know. I do know I have always like living near the water. I also know that after 38 years of living in the same god forsaken city, it is time (well I have a year and a half left here) that it is time for a new location.
Yeah, and I hope I am not coming across judgemental. Having gone through my own midlife event I know how the overwhelming urge to chuck it all and start fresh MAY overwhelm the powers of better judgement. But I am not saying dismiss or deny the urge for change. Quite the opposite. Play your cards right and you will find a treasure trove of adventures, a new and much more fulfilling life, and you won't have to empty the bank account to do it. You are in the very fortunate position where a few wise investments could fund just about any adventurous change of life plan you dream of. Boats, as nice and necessary as they are, are the opposite of an investment.

edit, and about racing, I have a good friend I have known since elementary school who bought a Freya 39 and sailed the south Pacific. He came home and had kind of lost the urge to head back out. For fun he got into racing J-24s and loved it so much and got so good at it he ended up going to the J-24 Nationals. He still lives on his Freya too. So you never know where your impulses can lead...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 13:35   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

Yeah, it's not always about the boat. Start downsizing now and see if you can actually do it. Then find a starter boat you're willing to move to / live on somewhere to learn and don't mind scuffing up the hull as you learn to dock (sailing is easy). Then go. As soon as you get the boat, it'll be an adventure and those steps before setting off could take 2 years or 20 years to accomplish. Or never. It's not for everyone.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote