Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 10:27   #1

Here's an email I just sent to Practical Sailor.

I'm a live aboard and have been for several years, on a 39' Vagabond. Here's an email I sent to Practical Sailor after having a subscription twice. Is there anybody else who feels this way?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I've had a subscription to your magazine a couple of times, and I like the magazine very much. Here's why I'll never subscribe again.

First, you have no phone number, which although must be very convenient for whoever works there, is really irritating, and a slap in the face for your subscribers.

But secondly, and most importantly, you seem to be stuck in the 1950's on your junk mail and spam policies. I get more junk mail and spam from your publication than from any other ten I subscribe to. People are sick of your "Publisher versus Subscriber" attitude and offers. I'm sick of your "OK, YOU'VE FORCED US TO LOWER OUR PRICES!!!!" screaming headlines every time I open my mailbox.

I'm a creative director and create corporate branding for a living. I've never seen a brand that is more at odds with itself than yours. Your magazine is excellent and makes me want a lifetime subscription, but your constant advertising via junk mail and spam makes me sick.

Your subscription department is proof that bad advertising can kill a brand. YOU CAN'T BULLY PEOPLE INTO BUYING YOUR PRODUCT. If you'd treat your subscribers like adults in the year 2012 I expect you'd see a marked increase in subscriptions.

Meanwhile, take my name off of ALL of your mailing lists. Each time I delete it, it just pops up on a different one. It's really cute how you create a different mailing list for each piece of spam, so it's really impossible to get away. SEE PARAGRAPH ABOVE.

Let me say it one more time. You have a fine magazine. NOW TAKE ME OFF OF ALL, REPEAT ALL OF YOUR MAILING LISTS. THAT INCLUDES SNAIL MAIL.

I'll re-subscribe to your magazine one day when you have the sense to fire the idiots why spam your customers.

Brian Jenkins
s/v Traveler
New Orleans
jenkins1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 10:49   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
I just cancelled my subscription due, in no small part, to the incessant spam from PS. I may have done so anyway since we're in the process of downsizing, but their volume of crap email sealed the deal for me.

What I found particularly infuriating was that all their systems for managing subscriber's accounts seemed to be completely useless. I unsubscribed numerous times, I removed myself from the contact lists, but still the crap kept coming. I finally got belligerent, and only then got a response.

Really disappointing, b/c I'd been a subscriber for going on a decade.
Old 27-07-2012, 10:55   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Here's an email I just sent to Practical Sailor.

+1 It's the main reason I unsubscribed. A year later and I'm still receiving snail mail spam dispite many requests for it to stop.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:19   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Well put! I unsuscribed years ago when they started comparing brands of sunglasses.

kind regards,
Old 27-07-2012, 11:38   #5

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I've subscribed to PS from it's inception. I don't get junk mail or spam from them and never have. My wife takes great care to ensure that we rarely get junk mail, spam, or unwanted phone calls from anyone.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:59   #6

Boat: Seaward 22

+1 I stopped my subscription.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 12:13   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I stopped mine mainly because I could only read so many bottom paint reviews

and the other reviews didn't really seem to have much science to them

but I don't get email spam from them, just sail mail once in a while
Old 28-07-2012, 02:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I get email and snail mail from them. I agree it is irritating. They are just trying to survive. Haven't made up my mind to renew or not.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 06:05   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Too much garbage from them. Not worth it. Flip through a copy on a newstand once in a while but don't buy and won't subscribe.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 07:00   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
+1 every day I get fresh spam from them and was wondering if it was me. I may try to add them to the spam list and just block all their mail. That just seems wrong, paying to read a good publication and then having to protect yourself from their abuse.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 07:16   #11

Their concept was great in the "good old days" and I've even kept some old copies that I read again once in a while. But in the late 90's I finally realized that there's only so much that they could say about batteries, paint, used boats and the like. Perhaps I got enough information from them that they become redundant. A few years later I stopped subscribing to Sail, Cruising World came next, Good Old Boat was the last to go. The internet boards, like this one, seem to provide more information. And boat-specific websites have amassed tremendous amount of great information that well exceeds the generalities of magazines that I just don't bother. Add spam to that, why bother?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 07:29   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

I had been a PS subscriber for many years. I only noticed the incredible ramp-up of spam coming from them in the last year. I don't mind so much that they send out this crap, but any company that wants my business needs to provide me with the option to remove myself from these sales pitches.

The problem was that PS's systems did not work. They provided an unsub option. They provided a subscriber's management tool. I tried to remove my address over and over again. Nothing stopped the flow. Finally, I found a way to send them a direct message (they made it way too difficult to contact them directly). I sent a couple of reasonable messages -- still nothing, the flow continued. Then I got belligerent. Only then did I get a response.

I don't know if PS has gone through a ownership change, or a change in its business approach, but it sure felt like they didn't give a damn about me.

It's unfortunate, b/c I really appreciate subscriber-supported publications (as opposed to advertising-supported). I fully appreciated their attempt at independent testing. I used their results as a strong guide for many of our purchases. But their change in business approach to incessantly hound their subscribers, and their poor customer relations, drove me away.
Old 28-07-2012, 07:38   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i canned my subscription in 1992. too much paper on board my boat. now i am glad i did that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 18:15   #14

Boat: Bristol 34
Last week I got my first piece of snail mail from the, asking me to subscribe. I'm wondering which company I have bought something from sold them my address. So far have not gotten spam but I am sure they will find my email address.

Thank goodness for spam filters. Now if there was such a thing for US Mail.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 21:15   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i canned my subscription in 1992. too much paper on board my boat. now i am glad i did that.
As long as you don't throw out your paper charts....

I still like them, but paper is going extinct. Soon it will be like Star Trek where books are a rare antique.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email