Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2019, 15:01   #1

Boat: Use to race a Cal 40 now 2 fishing boats 20' Proline, 19' Hydra Sport
Help with Navigation Tablet Setup

I am currently not sailing but still fishing running the bays an some small offshore trips. I want to set up a tablet with either free apps or Navionics. Looking at open CPN with NOAA charts. Running two different boats medium draft 20' Proline and shallow draft Hydra Sport tunnel hull, why I like the tablet idea move boat to boat. I'm old ,retire and, handicapped (just call me Lucky) so the larger screen at an economy price is very appealing and I can see it better.
My Questions are Android or Windows? I know bbuilt in GPS.
A tablet with daylight screen or I can shade it, Brand?
Size of storage 64+?
Charging anyway to charge with plug in USB to 12volt that will regulate to proper volt/amps ? Or carry some type of backup charger / battery of some type ?
'Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
again Thanks
Rockyrf
Rockyrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 05:12   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Help with Navigation Tablet Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyrf View Post
My Questions are Android or Windows? I know bbuilt in GPS.

IMO, Android.

-Chris
Old 23-04-2019, 06:16   #3

Chris Is there a tablet you would recommend for daylight viewing. This seams to be a problem with tablets and laptops. I was using a Garmin 54cv was great just a small screen an permanent mount. I am still not sure as to open CPN an free charts vs Navionics. I appreciate your input very much.
Thanks
Rocky
Old 23-04-2019, 08:24   #4

Chris I was reading in the forum some older answers that a lot of people like the nexus7 even with its smaller size but fast, independent GPS and does not need WiFi to run anything. Your thoughts please and is there a tablet you like and have used.
Thank you again
Rocky
Old 23-04-2019, 13:44   #5

We have a really old Nexus 7 (made by Asus) and it's a dog these days, can't get updated to the newest operating system, etc. It was decent in its day, though. And that might not be the Nexus 7 you read about, since I think they re-use names sometimes.

Our newer tablets are both Samsung Galaxy Tab whatever-was-current-that-week. Both work very well, both are challenged for viewing in direct sunlight. Daylight is OK, as long as it's at least a little shaded.

I've not met (or shopped on) an Android tablet that doesn't have GPS. I've also not come across any Android nav apps that need Wifi for anything other than occasional chart updates. Do need Wifi for news feeds and so forth -- and "current weather" apps -- but most of the other apps we use for other purposes altogether different also work Wifi-less.)

For navigation, I'd say the larger the screen, the better... so you can get an idea of detail and context and the same time. With smaller screens, you end up sacrificing one or the other too much... or fiddling with the zoom in/out functions a lot more.

I've found it useful to find out what new tablets Otterbox make a protective cover system for... then go shop on those tablets.

I haven't emphasized storage. Mine is 32Mb model, wifey's is 16. We do have to pay attention on hers, but then we also put in a micro-SD card... so paying attention is usually just taking care to store big stuff (e.g.e, charts) on the card.

-Chris
Old 23-04-2019, 14:13   #6

Thank you very much for all the help and info.
Rocky
Old 25-04-2019, 08:39   #7

Chris I guess I am confused about GPS on these tablets. I have found some that say under specs GPS: A-GPS. On a Samsung I found one that say GPS:
Location Technology
GPS,Glonass,Beidou,Galileo. Talking with the manufacturer they said it must have or use WiFi for GPS to work. So on the nav app charts say for instance tracking the gps will show you your track without WiFi. ? Sorry I’m so ignorant about this technology.
Thanks Rocky
Old 26-04-2019, 10:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyrf View Post
GPS:
Location Technology
GPS,Glonass,Beidou,Galileo. Talking with the manufacturer they said it must have or use WiFi for GPS to work. So on the nav app charts say for instance tracking the gps will show you your track without WiFi. ?

GPS is U.S., Glonass is Russian, etc... and some tablet models will (apparently?) deal with several of those at the same time. Pic one that corresponds to your normal area (but they're all pretty much worldwide, as far as I know).

Ref having WiFi in order to work -- not in my experience. We have three Android tablets and two Android smartphones... and I've worked with several other Android tablets... none None NONE needed Wifi to provide location services to its apps. In that scenario, no, you don't need WiFi to show your track.

There is the concept of using a WiFi device for additional locational information, to enhance a position found by basic the GPS system. This would be similar to a "Differential GPS" receiver (uses a land-based signal from a known location to enhance locational computation) or an "SBAS" receiver (uses a satellite-based signal from something like an Intelsat (WAAS example) to enhance). GPS accuracy is spec'ed to be 10m 95% of the time, and WAAS accuracy is spec'ed to be 3m 95% of the time... Don't know specs for WiFi-enhanced GPS locational data.

In the grand scheme of things, that extra accuracy isn't a huge benefit. IMO. Theoretically useful, of course, but I can't remember an instance where it would have mattered to us. That said, we have routinely had one DGPS and one WAAS-corrected GPS on all the time anyway, so not sure I'd have noticed it one of the tablets was momentarily less accurate.

-Chris
Old 26-04-2019, 16:22   #9

Chris
I really appreciate your help with understanding this. Greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
Rocky

Tags
navigation