Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 21:55   #1

Boat: Spencer 35
Help...or at least advice

So, I have been asked to give a couple presentations about some sailing trips I've done....The speaking part is bad enough, but I'll probably be OK once I get started....Big dillemma is that I am probably expected to have some pictures to go along with it. It appears I can get some of my paper 'prints' put on a CD and this can get somehow projected onto a screen.

So far, so good (I hope)

I would really like to be able to find some world maps (free, of course) online that I can use the computer mouse to draw lines on, to show tracks across various oceans, It would be nice to break the world chart into at least 2 - preferably 3 - individual frames to make it a bit easier to view from a distance.

I have poked around but had no luck finding what I am looking for. Anyone have any ideas???? Would be a bonus if it was pretty simple to use, as well.

Jim/Haulback
haulback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 00:58   #2

Boat: Alerion Express 38-1
And what sailing trips might those have been?

Ragtime! here Jim. If you want to drag the mouse across these charts I'm assuming you will have a laptop running, connected to a projector? Will you have internet access? If so, you can probably do something really cool with Google Earth. Mind you I don't know HOW, but I'll bet you can.

Tiger Beetle is good with this stuff, as is Rich at GPSNavX. You might rattle their cages.

I'm kind of bored post holidays so I started reading this board. Better than some others. But there goes the neighborhood, eh?

Best,
Bob J.
BobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:23   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Google earth is the go

By the way, I read public speaking isn't as terrifying as some think. Only 512 people died of fright last year....

Good luck

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulback View Post
I would really like to be able to find some world maps (free, of course) online that I can use the computer mouse to draw lines on, to show tracks across various oceans, It would be nice to break the world chart into at least 2 - preferably 3 - individual frames to make it a bit easier to view from a distance.
I have used Google Earth to get maps quick and easy. Not the most professional stuff but it works. You can screen shot it into powerpoint, crop it and then add commentary etc.

For the prints, find a 10 y/o kid with a scanner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ubin.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	6610  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 20:00   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Who are you going to be giving the talks to?

The audience has to be considered for the type of presentation.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 21:30   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
FWIW:

Since it is a subject you are very familiar with, don't try to write a word-for-word speech, but it's important to at least have a good outline to make sure you don't miss important points. Otherwise, you end up stopping in the middle of a story saying, "Oh, I forgot, I needed to tell you about...".

For the technical stuff: make sure you practice firing up your PC and software or overhead projector, etc. so you not only know exactly how they work, but are so comfortable with how they work that it is second nature. Get there VERY early and set everything up and test it to make sure there are no technical problems. If you are doing it by PC, put shortcuts on the desktop for what you need, so you don't have to drill down through directories hunting for stuff.

If you make a mistake, laugh it off. Audiences are forgiving unless you take yourself too seriously. Basically, if they like you and you seem human, they will tolerate a lot. First thing I learned in speaking seminars is it's perfectly OK to make a fool of myself as long as I let the audience know I know I look like a fool and it's OK for them to laugh at me.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 21:53   #7

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Google earth has some great features - if you have any GPS tracks they can be imported and overlaid (and you can animate the camera along them) and so can photos. On my home computer if you zoom in on our slip you see our boat in detail, using a picture overlaid that was shot from the top of the mast.

Its also possible to create your own tracks and of course mark them up with further pictures from along the way.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 21:35   #8

Boat: Spencer 35
Thanks for all the ideas (some better than others) and advice (ditto) ....But have pretty much figured out that I can simply take photgraphs of the Admiralty charts I used. All my tracks, with noon positions, of offshore trips are on these - although it appears I will have to use some easy-to-remove masking tape cut into very thin strips to make tracks easier to see, once photographed, than original pencil marks. Then once I take picture,I can just remove tape.

Tried using Maxsea and Nobeltech charting programs and making approx tracks with waypoint/projected course function - but by the time you zoom out to cover even just half of the Pacific, or all of the Indian Ocean, for example waaaay too much information is lost.

Anyway, for my purposes, it appears that pictures of the charts will work just fine.

Also, you gotta admit, a real chart, complete with fold marks, noon positions, wrinkles and coffee stains is way more interesting, than a clear, crisp digital image!!

Arrrrrgh, Billy

Jim/Haulback....
haulback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 01:14   #9

Boat: Alerion Express 38-1
Hey Jim,

How did your presentation go?
BobJ is offline   Reply With Quote