Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2021, 05:26   #61

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Heart Results Are In - Boat Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Chotu, sorry if you have already posted this somewhere, but what was the nature of the gas release event?

I'm pretty sure he mentioned something to do with cutting foam.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 06:03   #62

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
There are a few newer diesel outboards but all in higher horsepower.

I left Panama with 55 gallons of petrol. All in directly vented bridgedeck lockers forward of the main cabin. Really don’t believe there is any risk when carried this way.

Is a car park full of fuel tanks dangerous?
Right? I don’t know why people are so petrified of gasoline. I have inboard fuel tanks. They have been full with gasoline for many years. No problems whatsoever. Other than me leaving the gasoline for a while and having to put some new stuff in to dilute the old stuff.

If I were taking on some extra fuel for a really long passage, I would just store it on deck for the week or two until it’s gone. Not a big deal.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 06:05   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'm pretty sure he mentioned something to do with cutting foam.
That’s exactly right. I was using a router on some foam. And the gases emitted burned my lungs.
Old 19-05-2021, 06:06   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
I have thought about living in Colorado (high altitudes) for 3 months out of the year to build stamina and endurance.

I ran the 10 mile race in the Garden of the Gods, an 84 year old young lady ran past me like I was standing still.

Go to Colorado for 3-4 months. Walk everyday. Build your heart and lungs up then decide what you want to do.

I can't imagine how many times you have dreamt of using your boat while building her. Unfortunately, dreams never die.
Well, that sounds really fun! I love Colorado. I love the mountains. When you spend your whole life on boats, they are very exotic. Time to get back into shape.
Old 19-05-2021, 06:10   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Chotu...I have had two MCI.First one in 2000 and second in 2008. So I've been there and yes, some of my heart had died. You mentioned dizziness. It's the beta blockers. It forces the heart to maintain consistency. So if you exert yourself you get tired and dizzy. After #2, I was on 16 meds. The quacks told me all of it was necessary. With the beta blockers, I had 16 out of 18 side effects. Today I am down to two meds. A statin for cholesterol and something for per-diabetes. I started out on 80mg of statin and am down to 20mgs. I have sailed to Mexico. I own a small ranch with horses and work on it 50 hours a week.

You have to want to fight this. In the beginning it's best not to change anything until you know the direction your health is going in. You are in charge of your body and health. No one has the 100% right answer.

Interesting! Thank you for this post. I’m so glad other people have more knowledge about this situation than I do. I’m learning a lot. So because the beta blockers keep your blood pressure low and your heart rate low, when you start moving quickly, you end up getting dizzy? Because you’re not getting enough blood flow? That’s a relief. I thought it was because my heart wasn’t pushing enough because it was damaged. It’s also great to hear that you are able to do everything that you did before. I definitely have some hope, but I have to plan for all outcomes.

My first hope was that I wouldn’t have any permanent damage from the heart attack. That hope was taken away last week. My second hope now is that through exercise I will be able to get that EF up higher. I’m a health freak. And I definitely don’t give up. Look at this damn boat. Ha ha so, this is my new top priority project for a little while. Seeing if I can get that heart back to somewhat near normal.
Old 19-05-2021, 06:12   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
If you can already make 8 knots with your current propulsion, you are good to go.
I think I can do a lot to fix the propeller situation though. 8 kn is 5500 RPM and propeller slipping like crazy. I need to do something else about that. If only because all of those air bubbles will ruin the propellers continuously. But also to increase fuel economy.
Old 19-05-2021, 09:16   #67

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Interesting! Thank you for this post. I’m so glad other people have more knowledge about this situation than I do. I’m learning a lot. So because the beta blockers keep your blood pressure low and your heart rate low, when you start moving quickly, you end up getting dizzy? Because you’re not getting enough blood flow? That’s a relief. I thought it was because my heart wasn’t pushing enough because it was damaged. It’s also great to hear that you are able to do everything that you did before. I definitely have some hope, but I have to plan for all outcomes.

My first hope was that I wouldn’t have any permanent damage from the heart attack. That hope was taken away last week. My second hope now is that through exercise I will be able to get that EF up higher. I’m a health freak. And I definitely don’t give up. Look at this damn boat. Ha ha so, this is my new top priority project for a little while. Seeing if I can get that heart back to somewhat near normal.

That was the situation for me with the Beta Blockers. Interesting how my Dr. at the time, did not tell me anything about the effects. I slowly weened myself off all the meds except the statin. Yes, my heart ws damaged also but new cells do grow and I compensated by exercising a little at first. This was against a Dr.s recommendations who said that i shouldn't tax the heart. For me, he was obviously wrong. After about 4 years and a few treadmills, my numbers slowly came back as did my endurance. I restored a HR 35 and took a few years off to go cruising. Eventually, what was a monumental event in my life faded away and a more normal lifestyle reasserted itself. The one thing that changed was my outlook on life. All of a sudden, work did not have a priority in my life. I had little patience for peoples BS and I spent more time being with thew people I liked rather than chasing money or what I perceived as success.

I will also mention that after both MCI's I experienced depression. It was debilitating. It is caused by an enzyme exhange. It goes away but I wanted you to be aware of it. I definitely did not make any major changes in my life for about a year.
Oddly, during the MCI events, there was other things going on to add to the stress. Right after the 1st "event", I was separated and divorced. 8 years later I had the 2nd event and as I was being wheeled to surgury, I received a phone call in hospital room and was told by a family member that my father just passed away. They say God never gives you more than you can handle. That was not the case for me.

Take some time and reflect a little before delving into anything.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 09:56   #68

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
That’s exactly right. I was using a router on some foam. And the gases emitted burned my lungs.
That sux. Ive had similar experiences, but relatively minor.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 10:25   #69

Quote:
That sux. Ive had similar experiences, but relatively minor.
What sucks more is I meticulously read the SDS/MSDS and it mentioned you needed protection only from dust when machining it. It said NOTHING about the ozone smelling gas that came out and burned my lungs that day.

I had a 3m p100 charcoal mask on as overkill. according to the SDS, I needed a dust mask.

The gas went right through the mask and got me. The stress on my system caused the heart attack in a way similar to a marathon runner or weight lifter having one. I don’t have coronary artery disease. All the exploration of my heart in the cath lab came back with such small amounts of plaque it was marked as “minimal”. They couldn’t even assign a percentage of blockage. It was stress induced by the gas.
Old 19-05-2021, 11:10   #70

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Not sure where you're at these days re engines, sailing etc. Definitely been having a hard time of it. If you're still planning on using up the gas engines and then going diesels you might consider looking for cheap used diesels now. I paid $1500 for a 100 hour Yanmar years ago. His neighbor's boat caught fire and then his. His engine room was protected by asbestos so the only damage to the engine was the wiring harness outside the engine room.

Had a client whom I repowered his sailboat with a brand new Volvo. After we parted ways the yard convinced him to get rid of the brand new engine (like 1 year old) and put in a sail drive (they were new and they wanted to put one in). I'm sure that owner just tossed the engine. Money was not a concern for him. Anyway, maybe look long enough and get and engine or two.

My Cat is 35' long and I've had to dock it in tight conditions (2 boats t a slip and I'm the upwind boat) in a river with fast moving current that swirls in my slip on one engine several times. I brought a 55' catamaran into Pier 39 in SF (the commercial side) which is tough in any conditions on one engine as well. I have a lot of experience and dual engines from my tugboat Captain days dredging marinas . It's all a skill that you can learn and practice just like sailing into a slip with a dead engine. Even if you had 1 diesel and 1 gas (ok, weird but let's go with it) the diesel is your main driving force and the outboard becomes your maneuvering force, I usually only run on one engine anyway as the difference in speed is like 1-1.3 knots at twice the fuel consumption.

You've put in a ton of work/time/love. I hope you get to use it in some fashion that supports you. Even if that means selling it buying something else. BTW- the 55' cat is a tour boat built to be a speed thrill ride. Capable of 22 knots with 50 guests on board. I had it at 18 and had to change my shorts lol. I ran the boat from the aft helm station with a single electric winch by Harken and clutch blocks. It is how I'm setting my boat up now. I too am disabled etc.. so making things as easy as possible is important.

best of luck
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 11:28   #71

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
What sucks more is I meticulously read the SDS/MSDS and it mentioned you needed protection only from dust when machining it. It said NOTHING about the ozone smelling gas that came out and burned my lungs that day.

I had a 3m p100 charcoal mask on as overkill. according to the SDS, I needed a dust mask.

The gas went right through the mask and got me. The stress on my system caused the heart attack in a way similar to a marathon runner or weight lifter having one. I don’t have coronary artery disease. All the exploration of my heart in the cath lab came back with such small amounts of plaque it was marked as “minimal”. They couldn’t even assign a percentage of blockage. It was stress induced by the gas.
Seems there should be some manufacturer liability if the MSDS was wrong...
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 11:44   #72

Boat: Other people's boats

Very sorry to hear about this. While I don't have much advice on the boat-building side, I'll second (third?) the suggestions to get outdoors and build up your aerobic base.

Training for the New Alpinism might seem an unusual book suggestion, but if you're looking to put together a plan to improve your endurance I'd suggest taking a look. Much of it boils down to "long, slow distance" which hiking in Colorado should bring in spades.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 12:29   #73

Quote:
Seems there should be some manufacturer liability if the MSDS was wrong...
Negative. OP is also highly allergic to epoxy dust and other substances, IIRC. This is a sensitivity that is far outside the physiological norm.

If an SDS had to cover 100.0% of the population and their medical conditions, HAZMAT Level A would be required for everything. Hell, there are people who are ‘allergic’ to the sun.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 13:18   #74

Boat: Bateau FS17

I like your idea of doing the great loop and local cruising with what you have. That gives you a few fun years and plenty of time to think about and/or plan your sails and rigging.

You will know by then how you have personaly recovered (or not) from your current worst fears and can make a much more informed decision then. Meanwhile you have no stress of having to demast and worry about shipping it or building and tripping over a cradle for it while doing the great loop.

Even if you were in the best health of your life, waiting until after completing the great loop with your new yacht before rigging it would hold a lot of advantages.
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 16:15   #75

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Well, that sounds really fun! I love Colorado. I love the mountains. When you spend your whole life on boats, they are very exotic. Time to get back into shape.

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!

The most effective anti-aging workout, backed by science ...

https://www.mdlinx.com › article › the-most-effective-a...

19 Aug 2020 — For older adults, HIIT training yielded the most significant reversal in cellular aging. Participants over 65 saw a 69% increase in mitochondrial ..
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat