Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 14:17   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Health Insurance Required in French Polynesia

Not only do we need to post a bond (price of a one way ticket back home) in French Polynesia, now we have to show proof of health Insurance. What's next?

From Latitute 38
"One not-so-good bit of news is that authorities in the Tahitian capital, Papeete, are now enforcing (via spot checks) a long-standing regulation that all travelers must show proof of health insurance which reimburses for foreign medical expenditures. It will be up to each boat to determine a solution, such as purchasing a short-term policy from DAN (Diver's Alert Network), which includes Medevac services for a nominal fee".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:19   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Health Insurance required in French Polynesia

its not difficult or expensive to get a temporary policy

Dave
Old 01-02-2012, 17:22   #3

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
its not difficult or expensive to get a temporary policy
It's probably even less expensive to skip Papeete... There's no parking lot full of food trucks in Moorea.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Not only do we need to post a bond (price of a one way ticket back home) in French Polynesia, now we have to show proof of health Insurance. What's next?

From Latitute 38
"One not-so-good bit of news is that authorities in the Tahitian capital, Papeete, are now enforcing (via spot checks) a long-standing regulation that all travelers must show proof of health insurance which reimburses for foreign medical expenditures. It will be up to each boat to determine a solution, such as purchasing a short-term policy from DAN (Diver's Alert Network), which includes Medevac services for a nominal fee".
you need to speak french as well!!!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:27   #5

I am assuming that all Islands under the French flag will reqire it. No doubt along with the food truck in Papeete, there will be an insurance truck waiting for cruisers as they arrive.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 02-02-2012, 05:12   #6

I'm actually quite surprised that more countries don't have requirements like this. If you fall sick or get injured they don't want to have to foot the bill for your medical care (reasonable enough), and at the same time they don't want to just kick you to the curb to die if you can't pay for it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23   #7

Boat: 33ft sloop

I have an international Health Insurance Certificate in creditcard form where all details of my insurance policy are stated. In Holland, health insurance is obligatory by country law.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:16   #8

Originally I am from Canada. As you know the medical Insurance is almost free. I have been in the states for 30 years and Insurance here a month is around $500. And good luck if you have a preexisting condition. We had a thread on this forum on cruising on $500 a month. Insurance would greatly upset that.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:49   #9

Boat: 33ft sloop

I have to agree that medicare everywhere in the world runs out of hand financially. My monthly bill is about US$ 150,- How long that will be is not to predict.
The mondial bankfraud has upset the whole tax & social security structure.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:55   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I'm actually quite surprised that more countries don't have requirements like this. If you fall sick or get injured they don't want to have to foot the bill for your medical care (reasonable enough), and at the same time they don't want to just kick you to the curb to die if you can't pay for it.
Plus 1
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 06:59   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 30

This stuff about FP came out before we were there last year. We were not asked for proof of coverage nor was anyone we met there (quite a few people). We entered with the help of an agent arranged through the Pacific Puddle Jump, not sure if that matters.

Actually had to use the health care system in FP. Arrived in the Gambier Islands (remote SE part of FP) with a really serious boil on my leg caused by staph infection. Went to the local clinic every second day for two weeks to get it cleaned and a new dressing. They entered me in their computer system (name and age only, although I guess they could figure out gender) and did not charge. A few weeks later went to the fancy new hospital in Papeete for more treatment including getting a different infected area cleaned out (they gave me nitrous so I would not notice, or care about, what they were doing to my knee). The diagnosis and treatment took about 1 1/2 hours with at least one person there all the time and sometimes two. The cost was about $60 (about the best value, other than solar panels in FP). The prescriptions (2) and supplies the doctor recommended cost about $60 more at the pharmacy. Months later, these infections are insidious, I went to the 'private hospital' (ie the fancy one) in Suva, Fiji and was given another course of antibiotics. The hospital visit was $12 and the prescription (we got two courses of Keflex) was $12.

Health care outside the US is not expensive.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 07:48   #12

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

From Latitute 38

We are getting married on the beach in Bora Bora end of April this year. My fiancee' was born in France and has dual citizenship. (USA) We are bringing a large group of family and friends in to enjoy our wedding with us on our nickel. Rented 37 overwater bungalows over 100 family & friends. Even though all have round trip tickets about 1/3 of them are going on a 1 week cruise of FP with us also. As you correctly indicated we had to post a bond for those people who are going to cruise FP (though they have round trip airline tickets) and everyone had to show proof of medical insurance. Some of their insurance wasn't accepted so we had to purchase DAN short term supplements. And this is basically a land based tour of FP. Not very tourist friendly IMHO. Hope the people and weather make it all worthwhile as the costs of what seemed like a good idea at the time have spiralled way out of my original projection range. And all this info was required of us 3 months before our arrival date. (different issue but thought EU complained about US advance info requirements?) We don't have problem with that just found it to be a double standard though.
The times and costs, they are a changin'!
John & Carol
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 09:56   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Things have not changed to much since the 50s and early 60s LOL FP has always been a PITA to Cruisers, back then it was the french style of Mordita, a little something had to change hands LOL now they can't get away with that sort of thing so they will Government ya to death !! LOL AHH the french have thier ways !! LOL absolutely lovely place to SEE but not always the best to vist !! LOL lots of other Islands to see with a lot less French rules LOL just a thought Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 15:11   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
Things have not changed to much since the 50s and early 60s LOL FP has always been a PITA to Cruisers, back then it was the french style of Mordita, a little something had to change hands LOL now they can't get away with that sort of thing so they will Government ya to death !! LOL AHH the french have thier ways !! LOL absolutely lovely place to SEE but not always the best to vist !! LOL lots of other Islands to see with a lot less French rules LOL just a thought Bob and Connie
Not a problem for European cruisers we all have E111cards.

Dave
Old 20-02-2012, 15:38   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post

Health care outside the US is not expensive.
Not true in all places. Health care in Australia for those who have to actually pay for it (ie visitors) is roughly similar in costs to the USA. True of dental care as well as medical. Relative quality is debatable.

And for long term visitors to Oz, med insurance is mandatory.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
French Polynesia, health insurance, insurance