Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 09:04   #61

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Re: Has Cruising Become Too Artificial, Too Expensive, Too Regulated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Buoy View Post
Gun nuts would love the local currency: live AK 47 bullets.
Last heard that the currency exchange rate in Somalia was $0.50 per AK 47 round.
The cheapest 7.62x39mm ammo that Cheaper Than Dirt sells is $4.99/20 rounds, so there's some profit to be made there.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 13:38   #62

Boat: Bene 42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
From the la-la land of New York:

1. It is (still) illegal for a lady to "take tea" aboard a boat after dark on Irondequoit Bay.

2. In the city of Rochester, NY it is illegal to possess a Tasmanian Wolf. Which, by the way, has been extinct for a long time.

Anybody have problems with eliminating those?
Ladies taking tea after dark are nothing but trouble. Not on my watch!
Hhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 15:07   #63

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Do you have a cruising license? That takes away the requirement to check in and out of every port. I bounce around the San Juan's constantly for days at a time and only have to check in when I first enter the US. Which I do from the water, as I am a member of the SVRS.

Customs on your own private vessel is a lot easier than on land, going in both directions. The customs officers are way nicer too, funnily enough.
The cruising licence does not remove the requirement to report to CBP at each port ... The paperwork I was given on entry to AK says in bold type "All foreign vessels myst report their arrival at every US port" and I was given strict instructions to make sure I did ... the details of my cruising licence seems to be all they ask for when I do phone in. At least here in AK they interpret "every US port" to mean towns, not remote anchorages ...

Here it is: 19CFR4.2 (a) Upon arriving at any port or place within the US ... of any vessel from a foreign port or place, or any foreign vessel from a port or place within the US ... the master of the vessel shall immediately report that arrival to the nearest Customs facility.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 16:20   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
The cruising licence does not remove the requirement to report to CBP at each port ... The paperwork I was given on entry to AK says in bold type "All foreign vessels myst report their arrival at every US port" and I was given strict instructions to make sure I did ... the details of my cruising licence seems to be all they ask for when I do phone in. At least here in AK they interpret "every US port" to mean towns, not remote anchorages ...

Here it is: 19CFR4.2 (a) Upon arriving at any port or place within the US ... of any vessel from a foreign port or place, or any foreign vessel from a port or place within the US ... the master of the vessel shall immediately report that arrival to the nearest Customs facility.
This law has been on the books for decades but was rarely if ever enforced (unless you pissed someone off). In the last 12 months however, this has been enforced with such zealous enthusiasm that cruising US waters is nothing but an aggravation.
Old 18-07-2017, 16:47   #65

Boat: wanting a cat

I spent the "wonder years" in Rochester, raised by Tasmanian Wolves. They moved to Thailand because of the winters, I ended up in the Army...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 17:41   #66

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

OP,

Are you cruising, or just wondering? I ask because I've been cruising the Caribbean for the last two years with a break for a delivery trip from the US GOM coast to Italy and have not found cruising to be artificial or overly expensive...
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 19:01   #67

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
This law has been on the books for decades but was rarely if ever enforced (unless you pissed someone off). In the last 12 months however, this has been enforced with such zealous enthusiasm that cruising US waters is nothing but an aggravation.

During times of weak economy, a lot of things are, "enforced," to insure movement of the Monopoly money, around the board. Show me one, that's returned a lost life. [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 13:15   #68

Boat: Freedom 32

Much the way air conditioning ruined the South, Advancements in chip electronics have made every man woman, and wombat a credit card captain. With that piece of plastic, a landlubber can call himself a sailor the day after he takes the title. What that does increases the sailing population by thousands. Most well-meaning citizens but with near zero knowledge, experience, etiquette, and most of all... common sense. So a guy who took his family on the 22' raghauler on the county lake, now proclaims he needs a bigger boat to sail the world. What changed besides his credit rating? Nothing except now he owns a Radar, Chart Plotter, AIS, EPIRB, and MDF, just among of few add-ons that will give him the confidence to join the sailors of the high seas. And if he has family investment included a catamaran. Here he comes... to an anchorage or marina near you. Some of the funniest clips on YT. Remember that tiny anchorage on the backside of St. Somewhere? Back in the day, you could spend the whole day alone there. Now? If you don't arrive by 1300 you ain't getting in because eleven-teen CCCs have squeezed their cats within inches of each other.

Sorry, I got off on a rant... excuse me.

Anyway, what I started off saying is the issue and it is not going away. NUMBERS people!... sheer numbers of crafts and crews doing what people do on this planet. Spread out and multiply. Now with all the amenities, the numbers will grow. It's all about demographics. They don't lie. I am going to sell and get a cabin in the hills? Hell no, but that does not mean I accept the changes with open arms. I do not do 'policeman' very well but I may have to learn.
Old 01-06-2021, 13:25   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
Much the way air conditioning ruined the South, Advancements in chip electronics have made every man woman, and wombat a credit card captain. With that piece of plastic, a landlubber can call himself a sailor the day after he takes the title. What that does increases the sailing population by thousands. Most well-meaning citizens but with near zero knowledge, experience, etiquette, and most of all... common sense. So a guy who took his family on the 22' raghauler on the county lake, now proclaims he needs a bigger boat to sail the world. What changed besides his credit rating? Nothing except now he owns a Radar, Chart Plotter, AIS, EPIRB, and MDF, just among of few add-ons that will give him the confidence to join the sailors of the high seas. And if he has family investment included a catamaran. Here he comes... to an anchorage or marina near you. Some of the funniest clips on YT. Remember that tiny anchorage on the backside of St. Somewhere? Back in the day, you could spend the whole day alone there. Now? If you don't arrive by 1300 you ain't getting in because eleven-teen CCCs have squeezed their cats within inches of each other.

Sorry, I got off on a rant... excuse me.

Anyway, what I started off saying is the issue and it is not going away. NUMBERS people!... sheer numbers of crafts and crews doing what people do on this planet. Spread out and multiply. Now with all the amenities, the numbers will grow. It's all about demographics. They don't lie. I am going to sell and get a cabin in the hills? Hell no, but that does not mean I accept the changes with open arms. I do not do 'policeman' very well but I may have to learn.

I'm sensing a bit of jealousy from your words... mixed in with some gate keeping.

How would you feel if other sailors judged your choices?

Why can those super duper secret anchorages only be used by you and people like you? That comes off as fairly elitist. It's a very ugly look.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 13:52   #70
CLOD

Boat: none

I must be a super great sailor

I have lots of credit cards

It is all so silly
Old 01-06-2021, 14:44   #71

Mandatory 2 week hotel quarantine is a bit pricey for me...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 15:49   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Bludi CE regs....
Which marking and regulations differ between the EU CE and the UKCA after Brexit.

I CE said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 16:02   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
OP,

Are you cruising, or just wondering? I ask because I've been cruising the Caribbean for the last two years with a break for a delivery trip from the US GOM coast to Italy and have not found cruising to be artificial or overly expensive...
I think the point is he is in australia.......a very very different kettle of fish as far as regulations and bureaucratic stupidity goes.

Just sayin.
Oh.......and yes to the OP's question....you are.....but it's not like that everywhere.

Not interested in arguing or dealing with the trolls
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 16:34   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Has anyone notice this is a 10 year old thread that was resuscitated in 2017 and again now?

It is actually kind if interesting to see how things have or have not changed.

Covid has sure put a crimp in things.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 08:11   #75

I’m sure thieves and rogues would be very happy is governments stopped restricting fraud, theft and piracy. Cruising might be less fun though , if the parts you ordered never came or were unsafe
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising