Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 15:33   #31

Boat: PETERSON 44
Anyone remember the us user luxury tax. For awhile there was a fee and a sticker we had to stick on the boat. It was an annual tax thing.Thankfully that's gone.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 15:52   #32

Re: Has Cruising Become Too Artificial, Too Expensive, Too Regulated ?

Quarantine procedures during the black plague days meant the vessel (and everyone/everything) on it had to sit on the hook in the bay with absolutely no one getting on or off for forty days.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 16:04   #33

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
My only hope is that as the governments fall into financial decay, there will be less and less money available to enforce the billions of regulations that have been forced upon us.
Anarchy tends to reduce one's freedoms, not make for more freedom.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 16:09   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Anarchy tends to reduce one's freedoms, not make for more freedom.
Yeah let's see how many products that are needed by the conventional sailor are available when the world is in turmoil. I'm sure the shipments of Dacron, diesel, propane, polysulfides, and chartplotters will continue unabated. 95% of the cruising fleet would be stuck sitting in the harbor the day the GPS satellites stop transmitting.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 14:33   #35

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

I cruise the east coast of Baja California, Mexico. I seldom see anyone. If I have broken any regulations, no one has brought it to my attention. The only regulation I try to look-out for is "not to hit something".
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 15:08   #36

Boat: Currently boatless

I don't know how cruising changed over decades because we were only out for half of one...

but as someone who has recently transitioned back to land, I will say that there are a heck of a lot more rules, regulations, fees and expenses here on land than there were "out there".
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 15:31   #37

been cruising Bahamas past eight years and have never found the rules onerous, but we stick mainly to smaller islands and settlements and avoid marinas and resorts.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 19:53   #38

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Not regulated to death yet!? But the regulations are being piled on faster than the speed of light.
As for the land of the Free... Yes you are free as long as you follow all of the sixteen zillion laws, rules and regulations. The average person probably breaks at least a dozen or more rules, laws and regulations daily, without ever realizing it.
Regulations and laws are not promulgated by evil people trying to harass others. They're there because lots of people wanted them (maybe not a majority, but lots).

Here's the challenge: see if you can suggest one real law or regulation that should be eliminated, for which you can get unanimous agreement on this forum. Bet you can't. The regulations I hate, you love, and vice-versa.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 20:17   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

A different take ......... As a Canadian snowbird spending his retirement money on he east coast of the US, I predict a drastic reduction in Canadian cruisers over the next few years if things don't change.

We love the US east coast and the people have been incredibly friendly and helpful. For the last year or so your government has made it extremely difficult for us to cruise in US waters. We have been boarded quite a few times over the years by USCG and they have been without exception polite, professional, courteous and frequently friendly. No more ...... boardings on our trip south last fall for the four months we spent between NY and FL we had to check in with CBP every single day. When we could not check in for a day because we could not get off the boat due to Hurricane Hermine's effect on the Hudson River we were threatened with perpetual banishment from the US, a $50k fine and vessel seizure ... it was "not our problem" that we could not get off the boat to get to a phone. More threats in Georgia (by then we had bought a US cell phone) when we could not get a cell signal to call in, again CPB responds "not our problem".

We were given a list of CPB phone numbers we had to call at every stop. Many of the numbers on the list were out of service, many numbers rang and were never answered. "Why are you calling us" was a common response. "you have the wrong number" was frequent. In one case the officer was quite nasty on the phone but gave me the "correct" number to call, I called back and it was the same guy who proceeded to take my information without comment on the previous call. In another case I got a recording that told me to call another number which gave another recording telling me to call the first number ... What a freakin' circus. It took up to 40 minutes on the phone every single day to check in.

Oddly enough my brother crosses the border in his motorhome and is never required to have any further interaction with CPB for the six months he is in the US.
Old 06-06-2017, 20:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I think not.

I agree
Bjooste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 21:02   #41
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Not at all....but the Chat Rooms are much too crowded these days....anchorages, not so much.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:27   #42

Boat: wharram tiki 26

money and 50ft of condomaran has changed the attitudes of some cruisers.I have witnessed this on an iconic cruising stopover here in Australia. Big refrigerators also ensure that " gated community " afloat. good luck to them.
honey badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 14:03   #43

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
NO idea about the West Coast US, never been there but East coast.. plenty of places to anchor.
Despite the dire warnings West coast fla has plenty of free spots to drop the hook... In fact I will be doing exactly that this weekend..

NO Seas are not free outside the US.. other governments regulate thier space as much as we do and in some cases more. Further international agreements allow US boats to be interdicted at sea by the USCG and Navy.

So, what if it's not a US vessel, but my property, home, personal conveyance.
Yes, I know. Any imagined reason to board and any reason to make you believe they are entitled, to more of your wealth. While calling it a fine.
"Code Violation," is "code," for transferring wealth from you to them, while actually doing nothing but documenting their collusive theft.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 15:02   #44

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Cruising has at best 10 more years.

After that, every boat will be "watched" with satellite telescopes, and it will become impossible to enter a country or leave without paying the officials clearance fees. The average fee in 10 years will be about $1000 just to check in, but in australia it will be around $2500.

The destruction of the coral reefs will continue, and few tropical destinations will exist. This will greatly increase fees and regulations for any remaining locations. Consider that australia continues to promote flying over the great barrier reef even now that it is mostly destroyed, and flying is the fastest way to finish it off along with the rest of the reefs.

It will be impossible to catch fish as they continue to increase in levels of mercury and other toxins. ciguaterra is also on the rise.

As noted there will be more money balls, and all docks will require a $75 fee for dingy access.

Once ww3 breaks out, the US Navy will declare all cruising on "hiatus" and will board and/or destroy any private vessel under suspicion of "terrorist activity" or "spying"

Sailing will be made illegal, and motorboats will be allowed only with a special permit in territorial waters once a listening device is installed (which can also take over and drive the boat at any time)
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 15:20   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Put the bottle down!

Tags
cruising