Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2019, 11:05   #1

gps is killing me...

Sorry folks, new here...and very confused.
Problem: Installed newest version. Installed charts. Cannot get my built-in GPS to connect with OpenCPN. Was connected and everything was working. At some point the battery got drained (laptop) and when that happened settings changed and since then can't get anywhere. I've checked the bios and the gps is set to auto. The irq numbers match com3...I'm lost. I'm using a Panasonic toughbook running win10 pro.

and please forgive me if this isn't the right place to post.
frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 11:27   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: gps is killing me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated View Post
Sorry folks, new here...and very confused.
Problem: Installed newest version. Installed charts. Cannot get my built-in GPS to connect with OpenCPN. Was connected and everything was working. At some point the battery got drained (laptop) and when that happened settings changed and since then can't get anywhere. I've checked the bios and the gps is set to auto. The irq numbers match com3...I'm lost. I'm using a Panasonic toughbook running win10 pro.

and please forgive me if this isn't the right place to post.
Is this OS windows?
What type and model of gps?

Look in the user manual and find "getting started". The comm port for gps is not listed in the bios! You will find it under system devices. The manual describes how to find which port is actually used (for OS windows).
Your comm port has likely changed.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 11:54   #3

okay, so the OS is win10 pro.... The GPS is 'not' a usb device. It is an internally installed GPS. Is that why it is not listed in device manager? As I said, it was all working fine before. That was using 4.88, this new 5.0 not connecting. There are 3 com ports listed and I have tried connecting each of them.
Old 26-03-2019, 15:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

What model Toughbook?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 15:55   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but windows 10 will only let the internal GPS talk to "Mobile" apps. Most nav programs are too complicated to be considered mobile apps and are considered desktop apps by the OS so you have to use an external GPS. I use Coastal Explorer and it has the same issue.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 16:21   #6

cf-19 is the model.

I don't know about mobile or not, but the system was all set up before...unless maybe a recent win10 update punted the working configuration.

So, you suggest I buy a GPS that is usb & win10 compatible? Assuming it works as you say...is the connection maintained every time the usb GPS is plugged in...or do I have to re-connect every time I bring the toughbook on the boat?

And, did I read somewhere that the usb type is more accurate?
Old 26-03-2019, 16:43   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Does the internal GPS show up as a 'sensor' in the Device Manager?
Old 26-03-2019, 16:56   #8

device manager has a lot of connections...I don't see anything that says sensor though. I truly appreciate all responders for trying to help, but unless someone knows a work-around I think my only option is someone local who can 'see' the whole picture.
Old 26-03-2019, 18:17   #9

Boat: Liberty 458

I use gps usb pucks which map to a com port. No problems with linux but windows 8 will lose the connection. OpenCPN and SASPlanet are the two apps we use on laptops.

Alao have a dual boot linux / win10 but we dont use win10 at all. Win10 is not an OS that aligns with my engineer genes.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 03:22   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, frustrated.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 09:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but windows 10 will only let the internal GPS talk to "Mobile" apps. Most nav programs are too complicated to be considered mobile apps and are considered desktop apps by the OS so you have to use an external GPS. I use Coastal Explorer and it has the same issue.
I am not sure I agree with this- I have been using widows 10 for three laptops and all have openCPN and I use external gps-
I am not sure why or settings exactly- but I know it works on the Furono, Garmin, and Vesper units as source for position.
Good luck.

I will suggest that it is working blue tooth vs hard wired- which might have been my work around actually.......cant recall .
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 09:28   #12

Boat: Newport 41 MKII/S Carioca

Do you think the version of OpenCPN you are using is causing the problem? I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell 7202 with built in GPS. No problems getting the GPS signal to any installed navigation program. All the programs accept the GPS signal from COM1. For OpenCPN 4.8.8 it's set to COM1, 9600 baud, NMEA 0183, Priority 1, no control checksum, filtering is accept only sentences, transmit sentences.
Hope you get it up & running soon
carioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 12:07   #13

Windows10 has changed with regard to how it handles internal gps. Please go to the Opencpn website and get on the User Manual and look for "Getting Started" and setting up your gps with GNSS and Windows.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...n8_gnss_sensor

Unfortunately there are some recent changes you should read about in the Opencpn forum, but I can't find them right now. I thought they would have made their way into the manual but they have not.
Old 27-03-2019, 12:25   #14

Read this thread, what Auspicious has found has not made it into the manual yet.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-214618.html
Old 27-03-2019, 12:40   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Its a long shot, but check the date in the laptop BIOS and OS. The date can sometimes be lost, especially when the battery goes totally dead. Date checking is often an automatic function between devices. Having the wrong system date can really mess up other applications as well.

Also, rather than set the GPS to auto, select a com port and interrupt that matches the laptop settings. Worth a try.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps