Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018, 10:24   #31

Re: Going around a broker

If you really want this boat, increase your price.
Someone else might just beat you too it.
You might want to look for another boat.
Yes I am a real estate broker.
Ethics are key.
ffiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:44   #32

Yup a bad idea overall, I shall carry on dealing with the broker, thanks for all the comments, definitely a low point in my thought process
stainless guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:50   #33

Good luck with the purchase.

As an aside, I always thought that if a seller and buyer cut a deal that deliberately sidesteps a brokerage fee or commission, then the benefits should accrue to BOTH parties - they would be splitting the savings, instead of the savings going entirely to the buyer. Otherwise, why would any seller forego the services and protections from working with a broker, and get nothing in return?

Aside #2 - there are bad sellers too, so the involvement of a broker often carries benefits for the buyer as well.

Anyway, the bottom line is all that matters. The buyer should decide on what they're willing to pay and make their offer. It's irrelevant to the buyer whether or not a commision was paid.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:56   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Etiquette?

I think that's spelled e-t-h-i-c-s
Agree wholeheartedly.

Ethics is something that is missing in many people today. It is not ok to go around a broker, whether boat or real estate or anything else where a broker is used.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:59   #35

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The seller has a contract with the broker. You do not. You can speak to the owner if you wish. Personally, I totally agree with speaking direct to the owner and getting as much info as possible. Playing "broken telephone" directing questions through a broker is a big waste of time and a distraction from examining the boat. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dealing directly with the seller. However, the seller may still be obligated to pay the broker...but that is his private business, not yours. The seller may ask you to speak with the broker, and he has that right. But if he likes his boat, and has "pride of ownership", he should be happy to speak with you.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:30   #36

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless guy View Post
So finally looking for our big boat for extended cruising with my family, found one for close to the right price in the right part of the world with the majority of the features we want. We went to look at it and met the owner prior to the broker showing up talked with him for awhile and gleaned much more info than the broker could provide once we were looking the broker rushed us off the boat after about an hour he was quite pushy actually...

Due to the nature of what we are looking for our market is much smaller than typical. Some features are

-Metal hull, either steel or aluminum with no wood decking
-Pilothouse with dual helm stations
-55-65 feet

We made an offer the broker brought us a counter back, we countered again. Not to sure if we will get much closer, the amount we are apart is roughly equal to the brokers commission.

I am considering approaching the owner about dealing without a broker as we could both benefit from this. I have done this with real estate with good success in the past so don't see why it would not work here. Is there some sort of etiquette here??
You might keep in mind that that broker may have had to show the boat many times before you came to the picture. The ownership of the boat and prior difficulties the seller may have hag could contribute to a lot of value to him. Your story that you have been able to bypass a broker in the past and that works well for you says a lot about your character.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:32   #37

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

You might keep in mind that that broker may have had to show the boat many times before you came to the picture. The ownership of the boat and prior difficulties the seller may have hag could contribute to a lot of value to him. Your story that you have been able to bypass a broker in the past and that works well for you says a lot about your character.
I would keep in mind the old adage that a clear wake insures smooth seas.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 15:25   #38

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

1. Pay the asking price

2. Submit your low ball offer and counter. If there are not other buyers your low ball offer may be accepted.

3. Look into the other vessel , like the one you want, and make on offer on that one.

4. Depends on how much you really want that boat. Pay the freight or keep on looking.

5. If we were selling a boat at fair market price, and someone came in with a low ball offer, it would be refused. Period, end of that .
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 15:56   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless guy View Post
Yup a bad idea overall, I shall carry on dealing with the broker, thanks for all the comments, definitely a low point in my thought process

Now this is a rare trait. My admiration just notched way up.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 16:55   #40

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
....Your story that you have been able to bypass a broker in the past and that works well for you says a lot about your character.
True. Its says you are a man who does not like to waste time or money. A man of "good" character, IMHO.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 17:00   #41

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Etiquette?

I think that's spelled e-t-h-i-c-s
Something Stainless guy does not recognise
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 17:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinuxo View Post
Broker contracts of either boats or real estate make the seller liable to pay the commission if the contract doesn't have a special provision just for the purpose you stated.
The seller would also be responsible for arbitration and other legal fees.
Totally scuz-ball approach. I have no love for boat or house brokers (I've ben disappointed by both) but if I don't try cheat them out of their legitimate commission. If you don't want to pay their commission, do a FISBO deal.

PS: I'm betting they could put a lien on the boat if they catch on. Good luck getting it documented without getting the seller to pay up first.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 17:34   #43
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Now this is a rare trait. My admiration just notched way up.
I concur, some (most?) of us get our thoughts wrong at times but to be able to correct them is a good sign
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 17:34   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
True. Its says you are a man who does not like to waste time or money. A man of "good" character, IMHO.
No it says he's willing to cheat someone and by his own admission has done so in the past. (boat or property, the contracts are similar in terms of the "end around".)

Breaking a contract or attempting to entice others to do so is not an ethical behavior.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 17:36   #45
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
quick and cheap = good character

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote