Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 09:00   #46

Re: Go solo, go now ... or wait a few more years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually she just said windvane which I maybe incorrectly assumed to be a vane steering system..
Damn Wiki.. 😃
Windvanes are dirt cheap.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:01   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Very.
I'm female
You go girl!!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:04   #48
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

Do you always single hand or take on crew for certain trips / legs?

I NEVER take crew.
Why take crew on when you are doing the best, most fun stuff: sailing!
Only take crew on in port when you are bored. But not sailing! Who wants driftwood taking space when there's a voyage to be done!

As for what boat:

Do a graph by year of your age from now to when your family dies at 65 with the years sylurvival you have left.
(All the men in my family die at 65ish too)

Look at that graph and decide how many more years you want to work to buy whatever boat you could afford after each year.

Graph it all and pin it to the wall.

I bet you work hard as hell to get cruising quickly if you look at your own death chart pinned to the fridge every day!

Mark PS that atlantic crossing is easy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:05   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Windvanes are dirt cheap.
Would not know.. little experience.. 😃😃😃
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:09   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Well, that is bad advice. A wind vane charging system works when its nighttime, your anchored or in a slip, and want to keep charging the batteries. But maybe the above poster really has no experience in these matters. Sure sounds like it.
I think Boatman may have a little experience single hand sailing, at least a little
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:15   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I NEVER take crew.
Only take crew on in port when you are bored. But not sailing! Who wants driftwood taking space when there's a voyage to be done!

As for what boat:

Do a graph by year of your age from now to when your family dies at 65 with the years sylurvival you have left.

Look at that graph and decide how many more years you want to work to buy whatever boat you could afford after each year.

Graph it all and pin it to the wall.

I bet you work hard as hell to get cruising quickly if you look at your own death chart pinned to the fridge every day!

Mark PS that atlantic crossing is easy
The Atlantic crossing is not easy if you go in winter over the northern route, especially if you go east to west. Early summer eastwards, mid summer south then hang a right to the Carib, then turn right northwards to America.
Hurricanes can be a nuisance. Bay of Biscay not so much fun anytime.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:18   #52

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
I NEVER take crew.
Haha, yeah, I do kinda feel that way too, but I have been given so many 'stern talking to's' by cruisers (including some that started as a couple, ended up solo and took on crews to get home) I am honestly beginning to doubt the 'always solo' idea.

Quote:
//
I'm not admitting to having ever done anything like that!
Okay - so I did. Nothing on the fridge, but I did actually grab a piece of paper and drew some lines, so to speak.

On one side of the family, it's both men and women at 65'ish, on the other side it's men at 65/70 and the women mostly well into their 90's. Not the best odds - tho they do say that past performance does not guarantee future results
Old 07-01-2016, 09:26   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On one side of the family, it's both men and women at 65'ish, on the other side it's men at 65/70 and the women mostly well into their 90's. Not the best odds - tho they do say that past performance does not guarantee future results
WOW..!!
Theres confidence for you.. still got next month...👍
I'm happy with the today's...
and maybe a tomorrow.. 😃😃😃
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:30   #54

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
With more and more friends about to leave (this summer or the next) and having left already, I am kinda feeling the pressure ... And I'm not getting any younger either, so there's that little voice in the back of my head telling me that waiting for later could very well mean never. I'm only in my early 40's but come from a family where 65'ish seems to be the magic number. So - I should probably get a move on

But ...

I am not at all sure I'll enjoy sailing solo all the time. It's no problem for day trips obviously (been doing that for years), but getting from the Netherlands to where there be coconuts will take a little more then comfy day trips and overnighters straight out of the brochure.

On the other hand, sailing from the Netherlands to the Caribbean is relatively easy sailing, as far as routes go, with the brochure promising me an easy downwind sail (...). The Gulf of Biscay is, in theory, the hardest part, but I'm more worried about what comes after.

Taking on crew on a 29' boat - now there's a challenge Provided there are people willing to hop on a tiny 29' boat with only the basics instead of a nice, luxury 45' + footer ...
I think it might be even more difficult then just biting the bullet and go solo. There is no room (I usually go outside to comfortably change my mind), no privacy and zero luxury.

Also, I've been told that dumping annoying crew members in a liferaft mid ocean is frowned upon ... so I'm guessing I'd be stuck with whomever joins me for (over) a month.
Right now, I can barely make it through a couple of hours with a 2nd person onboard
I know that sounds horrible, but I've been living alone for most of my adult life, and I've been living alone (with a cat) on this boat since I bought her, a little over 2 yrs ago.

Having said that: most people that join me are landlubbers, who seem to have a freaky talent for getting in the way every single chance they get, and bringing bags that are bigger then my V-berth
My redeeming quality is that I get along just fine with my kid (now an adult who complains about the lack of headroom) aboard for a week or so at a time. Bought a 22' boat when he was little so he is well adjusted

If I were to wait a few more years, I could buy myself a nice Centurion 36 (yes, I like old but expensive and smallish boats ...) which would at least make it a little easier to sail with a crew when needed.

I have more or less given up on the idea of finding a nice guy to join me -- landlubbers be landlubbers, and single handers ... well, they are simply impossible to live with

Sailing solo together has been discussed, but I don't think that's viable option. Very, very difficult to stay close enough -but not too close!- on a crossing.
I think it'll just make things harder for both boats, not easier, and that's putting it nicely. Especially considering I'll be trying to keep up with 38+ ft boats since very few people go smaller these days.

Anyway -- this is obviously a decision I have to make for myself, while remembering why I want to go sailing in the first place: cos it's fun. Most of the time. Usually. I luckily suffer from sailors' amnesia

I am just not sure having to sail solo all the time is as enjoyable as being able to sleep sometimes, knowing there's someone keeping watch.
More and more people put more & more trust into AIS / radar as "2nd crew member" but call me old fashioned - I really like the idea of another human being sitting outside keeping a human eye on things. Not to mention human beings can make coffee and actually take action when an electronic crew member goes bleep bleep BLEEEPP!

Pretty much everyone I know (will) set sail as a couple.The only other solosailors I know personally haven't left yet.

Again, I have to decide for myself obviously , but I wanted to post anyway - maybe there's solo sailors here who are willing to share their experiences?
And I am sort of curious to know what others would do in my position. Go solo on a small boat (more or less cancelling out taking on a crew) now, while I know I'm healthy and fit, or wait a couple of years and at least go with a bigger, more comfortable boat that also has a little room for a crew member when needed / wanted?

Since there's little use outfitting this boat if I'm going to end up selling her (read: donating her to my son and buying and outfitting a larger boat to actually leave with) I kinda have to make up my mind this winter ...
Now here is a thread that is going to go on for pages and pages. I'm sure your private message box is filling up fast with all the guys here ("that are between boats right now") telling you what great guys they are. Single handing is tough. You can soften it up some by having radar, AIS and a really good autopilot and windvane steering. Although your boat is going to look like the circus came into town. But who cares...right?
My 35 is a center cockpit with aft cabin. So for the most part, it seems like a 30 foot boat with it's 10 ft. beam. So a lot like what you are experiencing. I always dream for a larger boat. A Cabo Rico 38, Corbin 39 or Westsail 42 cutter. Then reality hits. I had an Ingrid 38 ketch and she always required at least 1 other person. And as you point out, I can barely tolerate them for a few days. Many of which are addicted to their cellphone and start Jonesing the minute we're outta range of cell towers. Rigging thr Ingris set me back $10 grand. Slip was $500@ month. Joli`Elle, my little ship, was a fraction of all that. She is a great little boat and so is your Ohlson. A well found vessel with a long history designer.
Here is a thread I started a few years back. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-up-26626.html
I outline the impermanence of life and why I started cruising when I did. I feel my time is now and have no idea how long I will be living the lifestyle I do. I'm free and so are you.
As far as your cat, you'll have to make sure you visit pet friendly places. That can be a bit of a hassle but people seen to be able to do it. As far as partners/romantic relationships are concerned, like minded sailors are in port, not on Terra firma and it sounds like you know that. So what is holding you back???...fear is all and there is nothing real about it. It lives in the mind. It tells us..."are you crazy...you can't do that" or "Oh stop...be normal for cripes sake". The one I like is "You're too old for that...grow up". My reply is how old will I be if I don't try?
In closing I will add that here on the Internet, it's easy for someone to spew all kinds of theory's having either never cruised and not even having a boat. So you're right...ultimately the decision is yours and yours alone. I can tell you one thing...when I'm hoping port to port or even in a boat yard as I am now, there is a community I have plugged into of like minded individuals from all walks of life. So far I have never said..."Damn ..I wish I would have stayed on land working a mundane jog until they put me in a grave...and I know a few people who think like that...good luck and fair winds.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:34   #55

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Lizzie -
Normally I read through every post before posting (or not) but I always enjoy your posts and feel that if we were on the same dock we probably would be friendly. So forgive me if what I'm about to say has been suggested already. I, too, am introverted, and comfortable about it. The fact of it seems to make others much more lonely than I ever am. However, I did meet someone after 20 years of singularity and we have been together quite a while now.

I have often thought about what I would do if I were on this journey by myself and I've talked to other women sailors about it too. Two women I've met have solved the problem by buddy boating with another couple or another solo sailor, keeping in touch either visually or on a radio schedule. It's relieved a lot of the anxiety, the "what if's" and at each landing they have a social situation they can join or not as they please. Both women were very satisfied with the set up and became close friends with the other crew. Both women knew the other boat crew before they left, knew their sailing and social skills and so there were no great surprises on the journey.

As I say, this may have been posted before, but I can attest (second hand) that it worked for one woman crossing Madeira to Carib.and another from New York/Bermuda/New York.

Personally, I hope you go sooner rather than later. I waited 12 years and now that I've started this journey, delay is the only real regret I have. Good luck to you.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:58   #56

Boat: 36' Hartog ketch

Lizzie, here's some reading material while you make your decision.

http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Sin...rdEdition2.pdf

ThresherMan
ThresherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:08   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm sure your private message box is filling up fast with all the guys here ("that are between boats right now") telling you what great guys they are.
Haha, not even a single one, no worries I think I made it clear the issue is NOT in having a 'significant other' or not.

Quote:
Single handing is tough. You can soften it up some by having radar, AIS and a really good autopilot and windvane steering. Although your boat is going to look like the circus came into town. But who cares...right?
Not sure on the radar, but definite yes on the AIS, autopilot & windvane.
(I've seen the 'radar topics' and I know most people wouldn't leave without one. Here in the NL's, the cruisers that have one admit to rarely using it. But they're not solo sailors. The solo sailors I know don't have radar. Go figure.)

Quote:
I had an Ingrid 38 ketch and she always required at least 1 other person. And as you point out, I can barely tolerate them for a few days. Many of which are addicted to their cellphone and start Jonesing the minute we're outta range of cell towers.
I have to admit ... I am a little in love with this boat: Centurion 36 uit 1988 te koop op Botentekoop.nl
Not necessarily this specific one, but the W / C36 ...

Not the prettiest boat by a long shot, but build like a tank and pretty much a perfect fit for living aboard and sailing wherever.

That boat offers about twice the room I have now, while not too big and easy enough for me to handle by myself (the idea being I take the boat sailing, not the other way around ).

When sailing with landlubbers who can't take their eyes off their phones: heel over. I mean, really heel over. Works like a charm

Quote:
As far as your cat, you'll have to make sure you visit pet friendly places. That can be a bit of a hassle but people seen to be able to do it.
I've not yet decided on her fate ...
For a Syrian refugee she's adapted amazingly well to living on a small sailboat in a strange country, and is pretty much OK with whatever ... as long as I don't start the engine.
That, she hates with a passion and she's not shy about letting me know.

As far as looking like the circus came to town: try sailing into a new marina with a straight face while your sweet fluffy feline is screaming like she's being skinned alive ... Boy, does that sound carry haha!
On the bright side: the second I kill the engine, she'll go back to being her quiet self again.

But as far as taking her cruising ... I think a cat needs land beneath her paws more than I can offer her at that point. And I doubt she'd be allowed off the boat? Something I have to look into at some point.

Quote:
So far I have never said..."Damn ..I wish I would have stayed on land working a mundane jog until they put me in a grave...and I know a few people who think like that...good luck and fair winds.
I did step one - get off the land, live on the boat
But yes: very good point, and I definitely feel the "if not now, then when" pressure, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Two women I've met have solved the problem by buddy boating with another couple or another solo sailor, keeping in touch either visually or on a radio schedule.
I know one (Dutch) gal who did exactly that - she met a solo sailor right before they both left. They got along great, but neither was willing to give up their own boat and plans.
They went sailing apart together, doing the exact same thing of staying in touch and keeping an eye out when the other was asleep.

They weren't all that positive about it tho - esp cos his boat was a lot faster then her lil one, so he had to slow down all the time while she was constantly trying to keep up.

One of my friends is planning the same route (for starters) as I am, and he'll be sailing solo on his boat. We discussed the buddy-boating option, but both decided against it. Maybe just for the Gulf of Biscay, the first leg, but then we'd each go our own way.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:09   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThresherMan View Post
Lizzie, here's some reading material while you make your decision.

http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Sin...rdEdition2.pdf

ThresherMan
Thanks!
Looks like some worthwhile reading.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:33   #59

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

You will be getting replies to this thread for days, not so much for the question you ask, but because of who you are. I suspect that most, if not all, who read and follow you on this forum take pleasure in your attitude and your pleasant comments, not to mention the way you view the world.

You are in control of your own life, and in many respects your destiny; you know where you want to be, but occasionally you wonder if it's the right choice? Follow your own heart and be confident in your own abilities. I admire your courage to put your feelings out there for all to see...if you can do that, there are few physical challenges that would intimidate you.

Like you, I have been alone most of my life, it just works better that way. The loneliest I have ever been is in a crowd of people. We make lifelong friends in our journey through life, but for some of us we are always on a different course...

Follow your own heart, and if you are indeed the person you seem to be [through your writing] you will never be lonely, people of all types will be attracted to you, and who knows?

Many years ago a good friend told me "live for today, for tomorrow may never
come"...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:07   #60

Go, Lizzy - GO! Enuff with the soul-searching already :-)

Someone said that he'd been "extrapolating". Clearly, so have I. You must forgive me for that :-) I think you are seeking affirmation of a decision already made, rather than advice as such. And I see that you are getting plenty of what you are seeking :-)

It is clear that you have won the respect and affection of every member of this forum, so "stuff" like that is nicely outta the way, and your only remaining considerations are practical ones.

Lizzy Belle is up to the job you say. "Extrapolating" I'm quite willing to accept that. You say your projected passage time to the Caribbean is a month. Close enuff, I'd say. That is 30 days or so under way. But, clearly, they don't have to happen all in a lump. You can take two years to reach Willemstad if you like. Just mind the weather forecast for each leg. But you don't need me to tell you that. Keep your sextant and your sight reduction tables by you. But you don't need me to tell you that :-)

Personally I hate the open ocean. Bei mir, there is nothing out there but tired, cold, hungry, sick and as cranky as a bear with a bad hangover. I'd go there only if people paid me handsomely. Better than I could get paid ashore! Now, coastwise - that's different :-)!

But a great many of us have had to earn our keep ashore in circumstances where we were tired, cold, hungry, sick and as cranky as a bear with a bad hangover. The remedy for that is to just grit your teeth and do it and put it behind you.

Someone said "work your way slowly down to LaCorunna" or words to that effect. I agree. By the time you get there, you'll be just fine for the leg to the Azores. That's about a week's worth of sailing. Thence to Bermuda. Roughly three weeks. But note this: The passage times get longer, passage for passage, and you'll be getting tougher and more in tune with "the job" as the times lengthen.

I think I've already told you how TrentePieds came into our possession. One day I said to MyBeloved: "You chose well!" She gave me a queer look and said (carefully not pointing to me specifically): "She's big enuff that if one of us need solitude, we can have it". You are not the only one whose general conviviality depends on being able to grab some solitude now and then :-)

So GO Lizzy! An occasional three week stretch of "doing a job" in solitude is perfectly bearable, and you'll be recompensed manifold by the new friendships you'll be making when you enter new ports.

Go, Lizzy!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote