Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2013, 07:07   #1

Getting to and from the Yucatan Penninsula by sea

Hi, I am new to the forum and have no boating experience. My fiancé and I are getting married next June. I am interested in getting information on getting to the Yucatan Peninsula (and back) by boat. This is something he has always wanted to do and I love the idea. I have no idea where or how to start this process or even what to ask.

I need advice on what to ask and what to beware of. I will take all insights and advice.

Thanks,
Kathy
KaJonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:12   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Getting to and from the Yucatan Penninsula by sea

Where are you departing from? and what sort of boat would you like to do the trip on?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:19   #3

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

June starts the hurricane season, although there is normally no tropical storms during that time, it is still a danger.

On a sailboat it is anywhere from 3-7 days from the Yuctan to a US Coastline, depending on the boat size and weather.

It can be a beautiful trip or a nightmare depending on the weather. I would not recommend a new sailor attempt this passage.

We did the trip in the end of May, caught a crappy weather window and motored almost the whole way in our 47' sailboat for three days to southwestern Florida. 4 miles off the Florida coast we were hit by a Squall that barreled over us with 73 mph winds for almost an hour.

A better idea is to start slow and think about Chartering a boat down in the Eastern Caribbean or Belize with a Captain. You should get some deals in the month of June and would get some experience sailing, without exposing yourself to the potential of a crappy trip that ruins your sailing dreams.

Good luck!!!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:23   #4

Probably the easiest would be for us to depart from somewhere between New Orleans and Tampa, FL. As far as the type of boat that would probably depend on if a company was running a charter with multiple guests or it was something just with us on it. We can not afford to rent a luxury yacht.
Old 16-09-2013, 07:26   #5

Ok so I didn't realize it was that long of a trip. I do think you are right that we would be better off starting with something more localized. And no way are we going out without an experienced Captain.

So what should we be asking when chartering a boat and captain?
Old 16-09-2013, 08:07   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Are you looking for a multi day charter? The best bet for one of those is to fly to the Caribbean. A crewed charter in the area you describe won't be all that exciting or pretty, not like the islands at least.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 08:24   #7

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaJonas View Post
Ok so I didn't realize it was that long of a trip. I do think you are right that we would be better off starting with something more localized. And no way are we going out without an experienced Captain.

For your first charter go with a known company that has been in the business for a while... Moorings or Sunsail would be a good start.

I have attached the links to there web sites... That it will give you enough information to ask more definitive questions.

A couple of things to consider is were do you want to go and what do you want to do when you get there...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 09:55   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaJonas View Post

You do not want to do that run as a honey moon trip. Not only is it a long offshore run, its near hurricane season, no one runs this route as a regular charter, and the GOM can be a really ugly body of water if the weather turns bad.

Look for a fully crewed charter in a popular venue like the BVI, Florida Keys, Belize, San Blas, Med, etc...you will have a much more pleasant honey moon.

Pick a venue or two and ask for charter company recommendations here. Someone of the CF crew can give you details for almost anywhere.

If you want to do the GOM crossing later, then build some experience and sign on as crew then.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 10:39   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Might think about a cruise ship, cheap, and can be quite fun.
Old 17-09-2013, 07:21   #10

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

Carnival Cruise Search | Find Cruises | Carnival Cruise Lines&
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 17:43   #11

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Isn't the Moorings one of the companies that rents boats in Belize?
Old 19-09-2013, 19:04   #12

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Best way in June is to book a cruise ship out of NOLA. Its pretty darned cheap and it only takes 3 days. I'm not certain how they would handle you departing the ship in Mexico, staying for a few days then returning on a different boat and I am sure you would have to book a full cruise twice- one coming, one going. I would call customer service at one of the cruise lines and ask directly.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 06:10   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Best way in June is to book a cruise ship out of NOLA. Its pretty darned cheap and it only takes 3 days. I'm not certain how they would handle you departing the ship in Mexico, staying for a few days then returning on a different boat and I am sure you would have to book a full cruise twice- one coming, one going. I would call customer service at one of the cruise lines and ask directly.
To my knowledge you cannot normally disembark from a foreign passenger vessel. Most countries I know allow foreign vessels to transit their waters with passengers aboard, but they cannot embark/disembark passengers except for brief excursions...they must leave with the same passenger they came with except for extenuating circumstances.

This is my understanding of USA law and a few other countries...I presume that Mexico has similar.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yucatan