Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 00:55   #1

Getting Experience

Hi,
I am 22, never sailed but eager to start. I am biking to Argentina right now for the next 10 months or so, but would absolutely love to sail at least some portion of my return to USA.
Some questions:
Does anyone have any recommendations for how to find such a passage? Just hanging out around marinas in Ushuaia or in Buenos Aires? How uncommon are such trips?
What can I do to make myself more ready in the meantime? I learned maybe 6 of the most common knots, but that's not much. Does reading help?
Is this just a pipe dream, or do you think I have a legitimate shot at doing this?

I know I should just wait until closer to the end to start worrying about this, but I am so excited by the prospect I can't help it. I have read a lot of fiction about sailing, and know I would love it if I got the chance. Any advice whatsoever would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
geachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09   #2

Boat: Wellcraft Coastal 33ft
Re: Getting experience

Reading never hurts go to the library here on CF you will good info there. Just browse through this forum there is a ton of info here.
Good Luck on your first journey.
TM
Troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote