Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2022, 22:12   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: General startegirs for finding a small cruiser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
I have a small budget, about $14,000, and I would like to find a small cruiser. I have a basic understanding of what to look for. I would love to find a cape Dory 26, 27, Albin vega, triton, or anything comparable. I don't mind if it needs a little work but I don't want a project boat.
The difficulty seems to be finding one. I look daily on craigslist (for all of Florida) and Facebook marketplace. I tried casting a wider net with Google searches, but the pickings are pretty slim. I missed a chance on a cape Dory because I hesitated. That thing was gone in a day.
Just wondering if there's method or strategy I'm missing.

Too bad you're not in Northern Ca. There is an Albin Vega in a slip for $650. !
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 22:58   #17

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
In Florida there are 21 sailboats listed on Boat Trader between 1,000-15,000
The Com-Pac 27 sounds like a possible in the range you mentioned. A couple of doable repairs on a boat that could otherwise be ready to go. Surely worth a look.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:48   #18

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

You can do it. It may take patience but it's doable. We just bought our Endeavour 32 for 13K, after tax and registration about 14.2K. Now, that was the purchase price by the time we got it to it's new home we spent a little over 18K total. Watch our video to see where the money went.

There were ways we could have saved money but time was against us. Your situation may be different. But you can absolutely make this happen. Are you in Florida ? I think the market is getting better down here. Just keep looking, the right one will come along.

I will agree with many that all boats are an ongoing project. There are always things you will want to do after you buy one, and there will always be things that need an upgrade or just replacement. We are planning to spend the price of the boat in improvements over the next year or so. Lol, we already have spent probably 4-5K. I need to add that up and post it in the next video.

Now you can certainly find one that might not really need anything for a while depending on what you're plans are. It just depends on your ultimate goal and the time frame you have.

But don't give up. As they say, "Your ship will come in."

Old 05-06-2022, 06:17   #19

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

If you want to deal with brokers and their commissions Yachtworld
If you want to go right to seller sailboatlistings
Stay away from Popyachts this is the bottom of the fleet imho

All boats are “project boats” as stated previously, it should be noted that many mistake “project” with “maintenance” in concept and language.

maintenance is the key to longevity.imho
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:37   #20

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
Are you in Florida and thats why you are looking there?

If yes, i would suggest being more proactive.

Go to boatyards and marinas and talk to people, ask around, also make up a flyer to hand out and post on bulletin boards with what you are looking for.

Amen to that
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:48   #21
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

In addition to sailboatlistings.com, you should check out some of the charitable organizations. In particular, the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, located in a fairly wealthy location on the Bay with an older population favoring some traditional designs, gets some suprising donations. As an example, there was a beautiful Hinckley 38 there for $40K something. There is currently a Lippincott 30 for $5K, that looks good: https://cbmm.org/boat-donation/7368-lippincott-30/

On Labor Day weekend, they have an absolute auction with some amazing deals...
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:55   #22

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

The ground game is very important, most now use internet search engines.

But what if the owner does not use the internet?
Sounds strange to you?

Most have forgotten what life was like before the magic answer boxes appeared, a good many never knew having to go to a store and look on a shelf or the experience of shopping with competent knowledgeable staff.

Those who have lived without are aging out of the sailing game, there boats are invisible to the online boat market. Real project vessels live here, and if you are lucky lost treasure also.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:15   #23

Boat: 1997 Hunter 280
Re: General strategies for finding a small cruiser...

Try looking online in the NY and Connecticut areas. Both are on the LI Sound and have plenty of decent older boats in your price range.
salfarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:37   #24

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

I found mine during a bike ride in my neighborhood.
Stopped at local yacht clubs and asked what was for sale.

My projects are reduction projects:
roller furling, holding tank, pressure water system , refrigeration, wheel steering, all are going in the dumpster after this season.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 13:12   #25

Thank you all so much for the helpful replies. I will add pounding the pavement to my tactics for sure. There are only a couple of do-it-yourself style boat yards around here though.

I'm a member of the Sarasota sailing squadron so I'll check in with them too and see if I can't put something up on the bulletin board.

I realize the boats I'm looking after probably have a fairly rabid following for the same reason that I'm interested in them -- because of their inclusion in the vigor book on small cruisers. I'm certainly open to equivalent suggestions, though.

There are a few boats in my price range out of state as one of the most recent replies suggested looking for, but I wonder if anyone could give me a ballpark price on what it might cost to have something delivered to Florida. I purchased my Cal 20 from a gentleman in New Jersey and paid $800 to have it driven down on its trailer, but when I saw the condition of the truck and driver that towed it I vowed not to try and have one delivered on the cheap again.

As much as I'd like to purchase one and sail it down myself I am not quite there yet. Maybe after a year or two.
cyrano138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 13:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
I found mine during a bike ride in my neighborhood.
Stopped at local yacht clubs and asked what was for sale.

My projects are reduction projects:
roller furling, holding tank, pressure water system , refrigeration, wheel steering, all are going in the dumpster after this season.
Sounds exactly like the kind of projects I'd be happy to do
Old 05-06-2022, 15:43   #27

Boat: Dufour 29

There are more boats, perhaps, in Florida, but there are more pressures on sellers up north, and lots of good boats here as well. In New York and further, boats that don't migrate have to come out of the water every winter, and that is an unwanted expense. Going back in in spring may be more welcome, but an equal expense. As a result people who don't use their boats have pressure on them to sell. I sold my former boat because I got tired of paying storage fees. I bought my present boat at half the original asking price when it was listed with a broker, when the owner sadly decided he needed to sell and listed it on the internet -- Craigs list. In your price range I got brand new diesel, brand new headsail, and a bunch of other good stuff. But as someone else said, any boat needs constant maintenance.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:17   #28

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
I have a small budget, about $14,000, and I would like to find a small cruiser. I have a basic understanding of what to look for. I would love to find a cape Dory 26, 27, Albin vega, triton, or anything comparable. I don't mind if it needs a little work but I don't want a project boat.

Just wondering if there's method or strategy I'm missing.
Your missing asking at marinas. Cause you missed mine! 31ft Bombay motorsailor. Tune rig, replace aft motormount bolt and away you go. Great Bahamas or keys cruiser fully set up for singlehanded or young couple. Will find ad and link in comments, only been out a couple of times since new bottom and its lonely..
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...me-256362.html
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:21   #29

Boat: Bombay PH 31

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...me-256362.html
Old 16-06-2022, 12:59   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post

Thank you for the heads up! It's not exactly the type of boat I'm looking for, but I really appreciate it.

Tags
cruise, cruiser