Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2020, 15:00   #16

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Galley foot pump info

Sorry I get obtuse often. I would not use a three way because you do NOT want dirty water sharing the same anything with your potable water. The suggested set up allows contaminated water to be in the faucet, the piping to it along with the pump, etc... DON'T DO IT. You do NOT want raw water mixing anywhere with potable water. Certainly not sharing the same pump and faucet.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 15:06   #17

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Hope there are double check valves on the "potable" line. How do you keep dirty harbor water out of the system? I know a lot of boats both in and outside the US that have no holding tank. There's a lot of harbors in the US that are near sewage treatment plants that literally overflow during rain storms. There are beaches that get closed in the summer for e-coli but you want to plumb that water through a shared faucet?
Actually yes we have such check valves. Different geographical locations have different enviromental condtions, but that is a very good point re shared use of a faucet.

Our main potable water use at the galley is via a electrical seperate pressuzed faucet.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 15:14   #18

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I’ve got two foot pumps in the galley as well as a pressure water hot/cold spout and a cold ultra filtered spout. The foot pumps are salt and fresh.
The heads have pressure water as well, for shower and sink, but foot pumps for the sinks too.
Interestingly the pickups for the foot pumps are several gallons lower in the water tanks than the pressure water pickups. If pressure water runs out you still have a few gallons to go.
I do shut of the pressure water pump when not using it. Possible leaks, you know.
The worst thing about a seawater foot pump is remembering to use it regularly so it does not smell.
I grew up with salt wash and fresh rinse for bodies and dishes.
But with a watermaker now it’s another story entirely. But good to have backup.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 18:37   #19

We have used a small very cheap in line electric pump (Not a pressurizing pump) operated by a foot switch. It cannot drain the tank as the pump only operates when the foot switch is depressed (one of those momentary type switches). There is no need for a faucet (tap), just a swivel outlet into the sink. It has been there for 40 years without failure so we are happy with it.

It uses bugger all power and it's quiet. The only downside is that you can't control the water flow rate, but that has never been an issue.
We also have a pressurized system with a control flow faucet at the sink. It can really pump a lot of water quickly but it's noisy and we are aware that should the plumbing leak, then it will empty the tank, so we always religiously switch it off at the power board. The shower also uses a pressurized system as control of the water flow is important plus the small in line pump would probably be inadequate.
I originally had 2 Whale foot operated pumps at the galley but they invariably leaked and to operate them you needed to grab hold of the sink edge for balance, which defeated the purpose of having the foot pumps (ostensibly to free up your hands).
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, pump