Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 19:18   #1

Boat: 1995 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.1
Full steam ahead with plans and shipping container query

Hi all, just thought I'd let you know where Baz (my husband) and I are in terms of our plans. And ask another question too.

We're full steam ahead with renos to the house pre-sale, as we want to get as much for her as we can. Reason being is we have decided to go all in with our investment and sell the house. So leaving money aside for boat repairs and a few years to live without income if necessary, we are going all out for a more expensive boat. This will allow us to get a newer one, and after a lot more research, we've decided on a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey - either a 45ft, or 43DS. In our sights now are SVs ranging around the $120,000 mark (c/f the original $50,000 range).

Of course, being in Australia, we've realised that boats here seem to be considerably more expensive than if we purchase overseas, and after looking at world wide yacht sale sites, we've seen a greater choice of vessels. So we are totally prepared to travel to Europe to buy.

Ruling out charter boats - and aren't there a lot of them? - there are a few owner yachts that we are sifting through. Obviously we won't be in a position to buy until we've sold the house but we are now looking at some of the other practicalities, such as shipping our scuba diving gear (including new tanks) to where the boat that we eventually buy is.

Our question is: Can anyone recommend a transport company that will ship from Australia to Europe - probably quoting on size of shipment rather than weight as the scuba stuff is pretty heavy?

I tell you what, even though we're still in the house painting/reno stage, it is getting very exciting!!

Thank you,
Aannsha and Barry
AJ-SeaChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 19:25   #2

Re: Full steam ahead with plans and shipping container query

I'd go buy a boat in Europe or the med.

Be prepared to spend some time looking at lots of boats, and some money getting it into shape.

But IMO, by starting there, and sailing back to Aus, you get to do the best part of a circumnavigation, and selling the boat here, at our relatively high prices, would cover a fair slice of the costs.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 19:31   #3

Boat: 1995 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.1
Re: Full steam ahead with plans and shipping container query

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'd go buy a boat in Europe or the med.
But IMO, by starting there, and sailing back to Aus, you get to do the best part of a circumnavigation, and selling the boat here, at our relatively high prices, would cover a fair slice of the costs.
That is a good point, we hadn't thought about that!
AJ-SeaChange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, shipping