Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 11:14   #1

Friend needs to move sailboat, I have some questions.

Let me just say, this is an impressive forum and I have no idea where to put my post - so I'm hoping a moderator can help out on that end.

I have a friend who just bought a 24' Bayliner Buccaneer which is currently located in Everett, WA. He needs to sail it down to Olympia, WA which I've estimated is about ~100 miles. He has moderate sailing experience but he's never sailed this area. He keeps begging me to help him and says we can do it in a weekend. My dad who has been sailing for 40 years says it would take a week to make that sail, especially for beginners (I've only sold a Laser). My dad is highly skeptical of this situation and doesn't want me to go because he feels my friend is over confident and under prepared.

So I'd like a professional's experience of how long they would estimate this trip to take... Assuming favorable and worst-case scenarios.

Thanks.
skarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 11:26   #2

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Friend needs to move sailboat, I have some questions.

A weekend should be plenty. Watch the tides, especially around the Tacoma Narrows or you'll come to a stop for a while.

Cheers,
Old 27-03-2017, 11:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
A weekend should be plenty. Watch the tides, especially around the Tacoma Narrows or you'll come to a stop for a while.

Cheers,
Interesting, ok. How many actual hours of sailing do you think we're talking? I was estimating around 24 hours of sailing.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:32   #4

Wait a minute, I get around 80 miles from Everett to Oly. Your dad has been sailing for 40 years and he thinks it would take a week? 12 miles a day? I guess he really doesn't have any confidence in you or your friend.

???
Old 27-03-2017, 11:35   #5

Quote:
Wait a minute, I get around 80 miles from Everett to Oly. Your dad has been sailing for 40 years and he thinks it would take a week? 12 miles a day?

???
He was going off 90 - 100 miles at 4 knots and then factoring in tides/currents. I also kind of misspoke, I meant a 'week' as in 5 days, sorry. A business week.

Also as I said, I've only ever sailed a Laser and my friend has never sailed this area. He has not been sailing in quite some time. I think my dad was just being very paranoid and didn't want me to go.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:36   #6

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

It might take more than a weekend. That's going into the prevailing winds so you are going to be doing a lot of tacking into the wind. Does the boat have an engine for when you get tired of getting beaten up? You definitely want to be sure you have enough supplies, and please make sure your friend has all the required AND recommended safety equipment....

AND a VHF Radio...both a handheld and a proper console VHF radio.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 11:39   #7

yeah a week sound like more of a better window to have, not that you will need it, but it's better to have it if you do....

So you plan on sailing for 24 hours straight? I don't recommend you do that. You get stupid when you get tired, and you get more stupid when you combine tired and fatigue.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
It might take more than a weekend. That's going into the prevailing winds so you are going to be doing a lot of tacking into the wind. Does the boat have an engine for when you get tired of getting beaten up? You definitely want to be sure you have enough supplies, and please make sure your friend has all the required AND recommended safety equipment....

AND a VHF Radio...both a handheld and a proper console VHF radio.
It has a 15hp Mercury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
yeah a week sound like more of a better window to have, not that you will need it, but it's better to have it if you do....

So you plan on sailing for 24 hours straight? I don't recommend you do that. You get stupid when you get tired, and you get more stupid when you combine tired and fatigue.
No, lol, I meant total hours. Not consecutive.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarz View Post
Interesting, ok. How many actual hours of sailing do you think we're talking? I was estimating around 24 hours of sailing.
A Buccaneer 24 isn't a speed machine, and I don't know what shape it's in. Assuming (!) that nothing breaks down, it should do at least 3.5 to 4 kts, so 20 to 25 hours. If you can get the speed up a bit and hit the tides, you can do it in a day. That's also assuming the goal is to get the boat to Oly. A lot of the time there isn't much wind in Puget Sound. If the goal is sailing, you can take a long time.

Good luck,
Old 27-03-2017, 11:49   #10

Quote:
Wait a minute, I get around 80 miles from Everett to Oly. Your dad has been sailing for 40 years and he thinks it would take a week? 12 miles a day? I guess he really doesn't have any confidence in you or your friend.

???
So sailing in more or less straight lines, it's 88 miles. So I would imagine it would be more with tacking, etc.

Old 27-03-2017, 12:09   #11

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Is the engine in good condition with fresh gas? If so and you are just trying to get it there here is what I would do. Figure out how much gas you need to do the whole thing or find pit stops along the way. Have a good, substantial anchor. Pick a weather window with nice, pleasant weather. Carefully plan the tides and only move when the tides are not slowing you down. Sail if possible or if not motor . When the tide turns against you anchor and rest, eat and hydrate. No booze. When the tide again turns in your favor head out again. Repeat as required. Read the "rules of the road" before you start so you don't turn left when your should have turned right. Be sure you have all required safety gear. If you don't know what that would be you both need to do some reading. It's not rocket science but there is some knowlege required to do this safely. Have fun.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 12:12   #12

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

A Merc 15 should push that boat alright. Take extra fuel incase there is no wind or you are against the current. Then worst case is that you can always motor. And definitely have VHF radio, GPS and charts
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 12:27   #13

Boat: PDQ 36

Your friend thinks it will take a weekend and the reality that it will take 5-7 days. That's your first example of how unprepared and over confident he is. Why not hire someone with experience to help you guys make the trip? You'll both learn a lot and make the trip safely and without a lot of hair raising stories to tell. If the cost is a problem for your friend, think about how much it's going to cost to have his boat pulled off the rocks or have it towed or to have you two rescued.

You might make it OK, but why risk the boat or yourselves?

At least do some day sailing with him before you two try to move the boat. Listen to your father, that's always good advice!
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 12:31   #14

Make him spend $200 for a seatow membership...it's the best $200 ever spent
Old 27-03-2017, 12:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarz View Post
So sailing in more or less straight lines, it's 88 miles. So I would imagine it would be more with tacking, etc.

Your route is going through Colvos Passage. The current is almost always northerly there. Bucking the current will not help.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat